Avicus Archive

PSA: "lag" by scolton March 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I know that this is going to do nothing but annoy some people but here we go:

Saying "lag" into the chat, or anything else for that matter, actually increases the amount of lag that you'll experience.  Don't believe me?

When you send a message to the server, what happens is it has to a) receive your message, b) get a list of everyone on the server, and c) send it to each and every one of them.  And then you want it to also process every step that you and every other player makes, while sending a message to everyone else on the server about how much you are annoyed with it?  Why are you wasting your time complaining?  You're making it worse!

ProfessorUtonium March 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

:p

So funny

scolton March 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

Nobody else seems to and as a developer it just drives me insane

Alekpower March 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

cool

requesting block on the word lag

BoldAndBrash March 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

+1

_Phyre March 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

You Do realize it takes only miliseconds for it to process?. And I never seen a chat spammed with "lag"

Take into consideration... "lag" has 3 letters.. (Dont quote me). 1 letter = 1 byte, 'lag'= 3 bytes... Not much at all

scolton March 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

I know exactly how long it takes to process.  I develop for servers.  But do you know what milliseconds adds up to when you have tons of people saying lag at once?  And it increases based on how many people are online.  It takes milliseconds to send to each person there.  By the time you get a message, it may be seconds after the sender originally sent it on large servers.  I never said it's an earth-shattering amount of time, but it doesn't help anything.  What's the purpose of saying anything anyway?

Jahaj March 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

I have seen it on a server with 200 people on it, (not Avicus) and almost everyone of them said lag and it eventually crashed every time.

Dyspa March 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

So.. what's your point on making this post?
You should be fixing the lag instead of blaming us for spamming "lag" in chat.

scolton March 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

Bruh if I had the capability to fix lag, don't you think I would have done it? That requires money.  And/or more access to code than I currently have.

JUBBINATOR March 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

So.. what's your point on making this post?
You should be fixing the lag instead of blaming us for spamming "lag" in chat.
juano you dumdum he says you can fix sum of the lag if you just shut up

Robin_DD_J March 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM UTC

There is no point saying it on the forums, doe people who actually say "lag" doesnt go on here.

Dyspa March 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM UTC

@Pav: Don't you already get tons of money with the ranks people get everyday?
@JUB: :c
@Robin: You're right, people that say "lag" in chat are randies that just play for a couple of days here.

resepignev March 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM UTC

Why are you all like: "You are not right, I am!"?
He is the developer and he should know it. You never developed anything for a minecraft server, so don't think you are right and he is wrong.
He is making this thread, because he hates that people write "LAG" in the chat. He is doing the same as you. You make multiple threads about the staff efficiency and he just makes one thread about writing Lag in the chat.

scolton March 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM UTC

@Pav: Don't you already get tons of money with the ranks people get everyday?
@JUB: :c
@Robin: You're right, people that say "lag" in chat are randies that just play for a couple of days here.
@Juano_: I haven't been paid anything.

GrantInPhoenix May 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM UTC

well i guess im gonna have to endure the life of having 500 ms and above to avicus :'(

RIP_Avicus May 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM UTC

Saying you know more code than a developer is like challenging Michael Jackson to a dance-off and expecting to do well.

AutoHit May 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM UTC

block lag

Javipepe May 21, 2015 at 8:05 PM UTC

@Juano_: I haven't been paid anything.
You haven't? 

Taken from avicus.net/shop 's Where does my money go to: "... money may also go towards giveaways as well as developers whom make the server possible ..."

MasterProX May 21, 2015 at 9:05 PM UTC

You haven't? 

Taken from avicus.net/shop 's Where does my money go to: "... money may also go towards giveaways as well as developers whom make the server possible ..."
The keyword here is "may". It "primarily" funds the server, and, I would assume, "may" be allocated among developers if there was leftover money, for example.

scolton May 23, 2015 at 5:05 PM UTC

The keyword here is "may". It "primarily" funds the server, and, I would assume, "may" be allocated among developers if there was leftover money, for example.
Accurate.  I have not as of yet received monetary compensation.

DiviXion May 24, 2015 at 12:05 AM UTC

So spamming GG shouldn't be said either then. Hmm that sounds like a great idea! GLOBAL MUTE PLEASE!!!

Atdit May 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM UTC

So spamming GG shouldn't be said either then. Hmm that sounds like a great idea! GLOBAL MUTE PLEASE!!!
Well actually, when there is lag, and you spam all together "lag" in the chat, then it will make it worse, but at the end of the game, when it is over, then it's okay to "spam" "gg".

emilizzle May 30, 2015 at 7:05 AM UTC

lag

PokerFace May 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM UTC

I think Avicus is losing like 5 players everyday because of the lag. I think it's time to change server hosts :/

Fuseh May 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM UTC

That's actually kinda true what Poker said, there are a lot of people keep saying in the chat "Oh my god this server is so laggy". When are you guys going to fix this lag? Avicus is loosing players (because of the lag).

GrantInPhoenix May 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM UTC

Solutions for the FPS Lag and Lag Spikes:
- Re-upload / Revamp / Rebuild maps which seem to be corrupted FPS wise (for
example... Mute City 3)

- If your computer / laptop cant handle playing on a FPS intensive map, then i suggest
playing on another map (which means switch to another lobby... that is if a match is
ongoing
)

- Get Optifine and play on the lowest quality settings if you are begging for atleast a stable
30 to 60 fps (unless you have a bad enough computer / laptop that even with optifine
you would still get around 5 to 30 fps on average and get a ton of lag spikes which means
get a better / new laptop or computer if you have the time and money for it)

Solutions for Connection Lag (ms / ping):
- Get server hosts in EU, AU, and possibly in Asia for Avicus and Avicus players who come
from those other continental regions who are most likely having problems in game connection
lag wise.

- When your connection isn't stable (like mines) fix your router (if you run on a 3G or 4G
pocket wifi you're either screwed or just find a better place for it or just endure the lag)
or get new internet (most especially if you are from another continental region or
unless you live far from where the server is hosted for example...
Avicus is hosted in the US, and you are from an asian country like the philippines)

- You're last resort and last decision to take... find another server to play on which
most probably you wouldn't enjoy yourself not playing on Avicus if you are really into
it or you enjoy playing on the server...