Avicus Archive

Elly's AMA by Elly July 29, 2016 at 5:07 PM UTC

Hey guys!

I'm Elly, a new developer here at the Avicus Network. I first joined a bit over a year ago, mostly to play some scrimmages with friends for the tournament at the time. However, I had never truly become apart of the Avicus community, which is something I would like to do as I help develop for the server! I am very excited to be here as the community seems very tight-knit and kind. The warm welcome I got here was amazing! I thank you all for that.

So, you must figure, if I wasn't on Avicus, where did I even come from? Well, I started most of my Minecraft days on the Overcast Network. I enjoyed playing their gamemodes, and I eventually got involved in the competitive scene, winning two tournaments. Since then, I haven't played Minecraft as much, but I still enjoy it and I plan to come on a lot more now that I have the opportunity to help this server.

Please, if you have any questions for me, ask them down below! Besides anything too personal, I am willing to answer anything you guys ask me.

Elly

Arigenn July 29, 2016 at 5:07 PM UTC

First!

What coding languages do you know?

Pelpelajax July 29, 2016 at 5:07 PM UTC

Hello fellow ref o/

Initial reaction when the announcement was made that ocn was shutting down?

Why did you decide to apply for dev here?

Precise_ July 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

are you more funky than Funkystudios?

Tazz July 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

What was your first plugin was it your first scrim plugin on your cloud host server? xd

Why did you apply for Dev on avicus?

How old are you now

Favourife team? Definitely not Escalate? hehe

Opinions on me as a player from when I played OCN

Opinions on me as a person

Elly July 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

First!

What coding languages do you know?

Java: I learned Java a few years ago, because I wanted to transfer from interface-based programming to actual coding. I didn't really have a use for it though, so after making a quick calculator application I hadn't used Java for at least a year. But, when I found out about a scrimmage plugin that was created for Overcast, I found out that Bukkit plugins used Java and contacted one of the people who ran that project. I built off of their code and eventually started making my own plugins.

C#: I don't know that much about this language, but I figure I'd throw it in here because I have made interfaces with C# before. Visual Studio gave me an idea of interface components but a lot of what I was actually making was automatically generated by Visual Studio, which I didn't like that much because I never actually learned what was going on behind the scenes. I did make a couple cool apps with this though, including a stat searcher.

Python: I've done some work in Python quite a few times. I made a simple game with PyGame just to see what that was about, I've done some stuff with LED lights hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, I've made a quick script to automatically build and deploy plugins from my workspace to a local test server, and some other cool stuff. However, I don't consistently code in Python and when I do happen to code something, I need to look a lot of it up. In my opinion, Python isn't very formally structured and the fact that "whitespace debugging" is a concern for Python developers is not something that I think I would enjoy.

Lua: Most of my Lua was a result of coding things in ComputerCraft and OpenComputers, some mods for Minecraft. I really enjoy getting to see some of my code work inside a Minecraft block, even if it isn't Java. Similar to Python, I'm not a big fan of the format of Lua, but I can still tolerate it to enough of a point to make a simple program.

Now, for some markup languages and other things I know!

HTML: I'm pretty good with HTML, in my opinion. I like to make simple webpages, but not from scratch necessarily. If there's no framework or setup there already, such as a raw webpage, it can take some time for me to figure out what I should do. But, I know how to do HTML in profiles, using the attributes that we have access to.

XML: I know how to do XML from working with Overcast maps and Cardinal, a scrimmage plugin I co-developed.

JSON: I did a lot of work with Minecraft chat components and even made a library based around it that combines Bungee's chat components, which allow for things to happen when you click something in chat, with localization, which allows developers to show messages in the user's language.

Crimson_Aught July 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Are you lasy? 
Promise me, that you aren't!
Where are you from?
How old are you?
Why did you decide to become our developer?
Do you have any ideas to implement here?
Will you listen to the community ideas and implement them?
Are you a responsable person?
How much time are you ready to waste to finish a code?

ImRaging July 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Java: I learned Java a few years ago, because I wanted to transfer from interface-based programming to actual coding. I didn't really have a use for it though, so after making a quick calculator application I hadn't used Java for at least a year. But, when I found out about a scrimmage plugin that was created for Overcast, I found out that Bukkit plugins used Java and contacted one of the people who ran that project. I built off of their code and eventually started making my own plugins.

C#: I don't know that much about this language, but I figure I'd throw it in here because I have made interfaces with C# before. Visual Studio gave me an idea of interface components but a lot of what I was actually making was automatically generated by Visual Studio, which I didn't like that much because I never actually learned what was going on behind the scenes. I did make a couple cool apps with this though, including a stat searcher.

Python: I've done some work in Python quite a few times. I made a simple game with PyGame just to see what that was about, I've done some stuff with LED lights hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, I've made a quick script to automatically build and deploy plugins from my workspace to a local test server, and some other cool stuff. However, I don't consistently code in Python and when I do happen to code something, I need to look a lot of it up. In my opinion, Python isn't very formally structured and the fact that "whitespace debugging" is a concern for Python developers is not something that I think I would enjoy.

Lua: Most of my Lua was a result of coding things in ComputerCraft and OpenComputers, some mods for Minecraft. I really enjoy getting to see some of my code work inside a Minecraft block, even if it isn't Java. Similar to Python, I'm not a big fan of the format of Lua, but I can still tolerate it to enough of a point to make a simple program.

Now, for some markup languages and other things I know!

HTML: I'm pretty good with HTML, in my opinion. I like to make simple webpages, but not from scratch necessarily. If there's no framework or setup there already, such as a raw webpage, it can take some time for me to figure out what I should do. But, I know how to do HTML in profiles, using the attributes that we have access to.

XML: I know how to do XML from working with Overcast maps and Cardinal, a scrimmage plugin I co-developed.

JSON: I did a lot of work with Minecraft chat components and even made a library based around it that combines Bungee's chat components, which allow for things to happen when you click something in chat, with localization, which allows developers to show messages in the user's language.
im shit at raspberry pi's but theyre pretty cool

op: what are some of the bigger projects youve developed

Hello fellow ref o/

Initial reaction when the announcement was made that ocn was shutting down?

Why did you decide to apply for dev here?
Hello!

Honestly, I was surprised that Overcast shut down as early as they are. I think several changes could have been made to sustain the server's life. Apple did end up making the decision though, which I respect. Some people have claimed that if the server was kept alive, it would not be the "true" experience, but I still think it could remain authentic as Overcast was not always this network that connects 20+ servers with all different gamemodes. It all started with one server, slowly growing into many more. Many people recollect the "good ol' days," while others claim it would not be right to revert to a state similar to them. While I'm sad that it's closing down, I don't think there was anything I could personally have done to help the server, nor any one individual could have done. Things die out after a while, and while it is disappointing, the memories will still be there and we have to accept that it will be going away.

I was contacted by Tazz about a week and a half ago, he first asked me for some help with CardinalPGM and then the next day recommended that I apply for Avicus developer. I hadn't really considered it in the past because I had never been too involved with the Avicus community and it might be uncomfortable for a complete stranger to get dev out of nowhere, but the community has been very welcoming. I'm glad I applied, and I think it will be both a good experience for me, to develop on a network that has a solid structure and foundation, and for the server, as I have worked with other game-managing plugins very similar to Atlas. I have some good ideas that I want to bring up to the dev team; however, I'd rather become familiar with the code and how things work around here before I get too crazy with wanting to add new stuff.

are you more funky than Funkystudios?
I don't think anyone is more funky than funkystudios.

Zegita July 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

What is your opinion on Avicus so far?
Where do you see Avicus in the year/next year?
Do you recognise any OCN players on here that play?
What tournaments did you win on OCN?
Any opinion on me (if you recognise me)

Enjoy your stay on Avicus Im sure youll find it very comfortable

Sevoo July 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

fix kb

Pelpelajax July 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

Hello!

Honestly, I was surprised that Overcast shut down as early as they are. I think several changes could have been made to sustain the server's life. Apple did end up making the decision though, which I respect. Some people have claimed that if the server was kept alive, it would not be the "true" experience, but I still think it could remain authentic as Overcast was not always this network that connects 20+ servers with all different gamemodes. It all started with one server, slowly growing into many more. Many people recollect the "good ol' days," while others claim it would not be right to revert to a state similar to them. While I'm sad that it's closing down, I don't think there was anything I could personally have done to help the server, nor any one individual could have done. Things die out after a while, and while it is disappointing, the memories will still be there and we have to accept that it will be going away.

I was contacted by Tazz about a week and a half ago, he first asked me for some help with CardinalPGM and then the next day recommended that I apply for Avicus developer. I hadn't really considered it in the past because I had never been too involved with the Avicus community and it might be uncomfortable for a complete stranger to get dev out of nowhere, but the community has been very welcoming. I'm glad I applied, and I think it will be both a good experience for me, to develop on a network that has a solid structure and foundation, and for the server, as I have worked with other game-managing plugins very similar to Atlas. I have some good ideas that I want to bring up to the dev team; however, I'd rather become familiar with the code and how things work around here before I get too crazy with wanting to add new stuff.
:)

Elly July 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

What was your first plugin was it your first scrim plugin on your cloud host server? xd

Why did you apply for Dev on avicus?

How old are you now

Favourife team? Definitely not Escalate? hehe

Opinions on me as a player from when I played OCN

Opinions on me as a person
Yep, my first plugin that I worked on was the Scrimmage plugin made by ShinyDialga, RainoBoy97, and Barnyard_Owl. I had mainly done some cosmetic stuff that were just add-ons to the plugin but I still considered myself a contributor to the plugin. My first plugin that I created myself, though, was EllyPGM. I didn't know what object-oriented programming was at the time though so it was very hardcoded and difficult to add new features. Both of those plugins were on my cloud server though, back when it was one of the only scrimmage servers.

From response to Pelpelajax:

I'm currently 15 years old.

My favorite team on Overcast was LunGGlove. We were such good friends, and we actually won a tournament. It was very nice to be on a solid team that stuck around for quite a few tournaments. While I did win on Oklahomies, I didn't feel like I contributed much to the team and I wasn't friends with most of my teammates. I only knew who they were, I had no idea if they even knew me.

You were pretty solid on OCN. I believe we were on Poision Ivy together, but I'm not 100% sure. You didn't stand out to me for being a great PvPer or anything, but you wouldn't have been on the team if you weren't good enough!

I recall you being really immature back in the Overcast days, a year or two ago. I'd occasionally see you on the forums posting something that I didn't agree with or some immature comment, but you've improved a lot since then. You're much nicer and respectful of other people now, which I really appreciate and I now acknowledge you for being an serious member of the community rather than someone who always jokes around all the time.

hasl July 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

Heya Elly! I've played a couple of matches with you today and you seem like a really chill person, haven't seen you on TS yet though, what's your timezone?
Did you know that this day in the year of 1958 NASA was created?
Questions...

1. Are you wearing socks right now?
  2. What is your favourite thing to spend money on?
  3. What do you use more often, the dictionary or thesaurus?
  4. Why?
  5. Worst injury you have had?
  6. What kind of music do you listen to?
  7. List someone and describe them in 5 words! :P
  8. What is your current impression of me?
Hope you're having a great summer and have fun developing for Avicus! :D
Have a listen to this!

Take it easy, - Aura

Spoookeh July 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

Hey Elly!

What tourneys did you win on OCN?

Favourite tournament on OCN?

Goals for Avicus in the future?

Elly July 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

Are you lasy? 
Promise me, that you aren't!
Where are you from?
How old are you?
Why did you decide to become our developer?
Do you have any ideas to implement here?
Will you listen to the community ideas and implement them?
Are you a responsable person?
How much time are you ready to waste to finish a code?
I sure hope not!

I promise. I am not lazy!

I am from New York in the United States. I've been here my whole life.

From response to Tazz:
I'm currently 15 years old.

From response to Pelpelajax:

I do have some ideas I'd like to introduce! I'd like to wait until I get used to the code foundations and a bit more settled into the community before I get going on them, though.

I like when a management team listens to their community, because the community is what makes this whole thing possible. I will try to read as many suggestions and as much feedback as I can!

In my opinion, I'm pretty responsible. That's up for you to decide though, once I start working on the plugins here.

I'll spend as much time as I have to on something to ensure that it is thoroughly complete and enjoyable for the user.

LFT July 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

Hey Elly,

Even though you're a developer for avicus, will you be getting into the competitive side of avicus and participate in scrimmages, tournaments, etc?

Xuph July 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

Hi
Im eric and i was with you in fortissimus in the very old days in my very first competitive games

You introduced me into cannoning which im really thankful for :)

Yea that was very long time ago.

How have you been?
Favorite color?
Favorite food?
Do you support trump? What will you do if he gets elected 
Do you have a good pc?
What are you going to focus on as a dev? (Ik its a very general question, but i expect an answer such as "on public" "on competitive" or "on website development"

Welcome back to avicus

InLoc July 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

Opinion on enwhy_?

Acceqted July 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

Welcome to the team!

First thoughts on me?

What can you specifically bring to the development team?

Any ideas you have you'd like to share?

Favourite Mod so far?

Favourite Senior so far?

AMIES July 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM UTC

Hey Elly! <3

Will you bring some friends over? Especially your brother :P

If you could buy Overcast would you? And what would you do with it if you did?

Opinions on me? [100 paragraphs please<3]

Have fun developing here and welcome!

Junr July 30, 2016 at 1:07 AM UTC

Hi, Elly :D

Thanks for making me the HTML :D, but I have some questions for you.

What was your reaction when you found out you got Developer? 

What inspired you to start coding?

What are your first thought/thoughts on me?

Elly July 30, 2016 at 2:07 AM UTC

What is your opinion on Avicus so far?
Where do you see Avicus in the year/next year?
Do you recognise any OCN players on here that play?
What tournaments did you win on OCN?
Any opinion on me (if you recognise me)

Enjoy your stay on Avicus Im sure youll find it very comfortable
Hey Zegita!

I'm really enjoying Avicus so far. The community is really kind and welcoming, which really inspires me to help with development. I'm very glad to be here!

I hope to see Avicus still have its awesome community. I'd like to see Atlas on the servers, as it's looking good so far! I'm confident that we'll be able to make it a great experience for the players and I appreciate everyone that is staying patient and willing to help Atlas become as best as it can be.

Of course I recognize some Overcast players! I remember you, and I saw some others... I can't name them all off of the top of my head but I'm glad that some of them are coming here.

On Overcast, I won Breaking Core with LunGGlove. They were my favorite team as we were very well-bonded, which meant a lot to me. I also won House of Cores with Oklahomies.

I didn't have too many interactions with you on either Overcast or here, but you seem like a nice community member that is willing to help out. I appreciate that!

Thank you!

fix kb
In all seriousness, what do you think is wrong with knockback? I played for quite a long time both yesterday and today, and I didn't notice any immediate problems with it.

Heya Elly! I've played a couple of matches with you today and you seem like a really chill person, haven't seen you on TS yet though, what's your timezone?
Did you know that this day in the year of 1958 NASA was created?
Questions...

1. Are you wearing socks right now?
  2. What is your favourite thing to spend money on?
  3. What do you use more often, the dictionary or thesaurus?
  4. Why?
  5. Worst injury you have had?
  6. What kind of music do you listen to?
  7. List someone and describe them in 5 words! :P
  8. What is your current impression of me?
Hope you're having a great summer and have fun developing for Avicus! :D
Have a listen to this!

Take it easy, - Aura
Hey Aura!

I'm not wearing socks right now. It's too late at night to be wearing socks.

I like buying multiplayer Steam games because I like messing around with my friends on games other than Minecraft.

I use the dictionary more often.

When I come across words I don't know in a book or in the news, I like to look it up to find out what it means. Thesauri are great for looking up alternative words to help vocabulary, but I just happen to use a dictionary more often.

I've never broken a bone, so I guess one of the times I stubbed my toe? Not too sure on that one.

I like to listen to the Discover Weekly playlist in Spotify. It usually has mostly Pop songs, so I suppose that's what I like to listen to the most.

Tazz: invited me to dev here

I'm really glad I've met you! You're very nice and welcoming. I'm happy to see that this community has members such as yourself.

See you on the servers!

Hey Elly!

What tourneys did you win on OCN?

Favourite tournament on OCN?

Goals for Avicus in the future?
From response to Zegita:
On Overcast, I won Breaking Core with LunGGlove. They were my favorite team as we were very well-bonded, which meant a lot to me. I also won House of Cores with Oklahomies.

My favorite tournament was definitely Breaking Core. It was the most awesome feeling in the world to be able to both win a tournament and do so on a team with a lot of my friends. It was a great overall experience.

I'd like to really help out with Atlas to make the release awesome. It's looking great so far, and I come from a background in plugin development so I really would like to help the plugin become great before the release.

Thanks for the questions!

Hey Elly,

Even though you're a developer for avicus, will you be getting into the competitive side of avicus and participate in scrimmages, tournaments, etc?
While I did enjoy my time in the competitive scene in Overcast, I'd like to focus more on helping out with development here. I think that is a bigger priority, but as time passes I may reconsider joining a team and playing in tournaments.

Hi
Im eric and i was with you in fortissimus in the very old days in my very first competitive games

You introduced me into cannoning which im really thankful for :)

Yea that was very long time ago.

How have you been?
Favorite color?
Favorite food?
Do you support trump? What will you do if he gets elected 
Do you have a good pc?
What are you going to focus on as a dev? (Ik its a very general question, but i expect an answer such as "on public" "on competitive" or "on website development"

Welcome back to avicus
Hey Eric! I remember Fortissimus! It's a shame I didn't get to play with you guys more; I was more of an Overcast player back then and I never got to know you guys well.

I've been well! Since the days of Fortissimus I've continued a lot of my personal development for both Cardinal, a project I've been working on, and an ultra hardcore plugin. Those have really given me a lot of experience as I go forward as an Avicus developer.

My favorite color is blue, especially if it's slightly green.

I love to eat bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon. It is the perfect breakfast to me.

I don't support Trump, but I won't move to Canada or anything if he gets elected.

My PC is alright. I got a prebuilt around 4 or 5 years ago, because I didn't know about custom building a computer back then. I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't know that but I've tried to make my computer as best as possible. I've added two more hard drives and upgraded my old graphics card to a GeForce 750ti, so it's pretty decent overall now that I've made those upgrades.

As a developer, I'd like to focus on Atlas. I come from a competitive scene on Overcast, so perhaps I'll eventually focus on helping that part of Avicus.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll see you around.

DonaldMyTrump July 30, 2016 at 2:07 AM UTC

hi babe :3
Talk to Shiny lately?
Opinions on the Giants off-season acquisitions?
Opinions on avicus TS?

im shit at raspberry pi's but theyre pretty cool

op: what are some of the bigger projects youve developed
Hello ImRaging! Sorry for the late response.

I've worked on CardinalPGM and am currently working on Cardinal 2, a scrimmage plugin for the Overcast Network. I've also been working on an ultra hardcore plugin for a friend's server. Nothing much besides that except for some libraries to help me more easily manage commands, localizable chat components, and GUIs.

Thanks for the question!

Opinion on enwhy_?
he's a living meme

Welcome to the team!

First thoughts on me?

What can you specifically bring to the development team?

Any ideas you have you'd like to share?

Favourite Mod so far?

Favourite Senior so far?
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm glad you're here! You seem like a very proactive staff member, and I like someone who is willing to take initiative. You're also very friendly. So thank you for that!

I do a ton of plugin development, so I want to help make Atlas a great plugin. I want the release to be awesome and I hope everyone will enjoy it!

No ideas that I want to share yet; still getting familiar with the new code.

I don't have any favorite staff members. You're all fantastic!

Thanks for the questions; see you around!

How difficult is it to answer a simple question?
I had a real horrible first impression of you
Hello DaFrozenBlade,

I'm very sorry that I gave off a bad first impression. I was busy filling out some stuff so I could officially get started with development here, and I wasn't really paying attention to chat. I glanced over and saw some of the other staff members informing people what was going on, so I figured they would handle all of the questions. Again, I am very sorry that this happened. I did not mean to ignore you in any manner.

Apologies,
Elly

Sevoo July 30, 2016 at 2:07 AM UTC

In all seriousness, what do you think is wrong with knockback? I played for quite a long time both yesterday and today, and I didn't notice any immediate problems with it.
It's just very inconsistent and some players take a lot less knockback then some others. Knockback is the main way to get a combo and get someone out of their reach to hit you but some people take close to none and some others take tons. It's just annoying sometimes.

In all seriousness though, welcome to Avicus. Hope you have fun here c;.

I don't think you can play while filling in your stuff too
I played a game or two, then I mentioned to funky that the server was having some problems. I then went to fill out some forms that I had been given earlier, so I could start developing here. I was not trying to ignore either you or the question in any way. While I was in the game, I was talking to some of the other devs and was being introduced to the server and the plugins, so I was probably too distracted to look in chat. Again, I'm sorry that it appeared as if I was ignoring your question.

rockymma July 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM UTC

\o

joelous July 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM UTC

Hey dood

I remember you but you probably don't know me (as spooky as that sounds). Congrats on dev and it's good that there is even more development power before atlas comes out. You seem very public which is awesome, we needed a developer who is very community driven. Welcome!

Posighdun July 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM UTC

Hello Elly :D

I hope you enjoy working here with the Devs :D

What were your first thoughts when you first heard about Avicus?
What about now?

Midnightstorm July 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM UTC

Do you like any one of Coldplay's songs?
What are your opinions on dinosaur chicken nuggets?
Opinions on me?

ALM July 30, 2016 at 4:07 AM UTC

Opinons on me?