Avicus Archive

My Demotion and Temp-Ban. by Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

I'm going to try to explain what happened without needing to answer too many questions. 

Before I actually start, yes, this demotion and ban is legitimate and there was no bias involved. 

I was on 5Zig 1.7.10 and enjoying my time, and I heard some complaints about 1.8 have problems so I switched to LabyMod 1.8.8 to see if I noticed any extra lag or anything different than before. (I didn't notice anything for those wondering.) When I downloaded LabyMod I had the option to add Damage Indicators to it. I did, because it is allowed on some servers, and it can be pretty useful for them. Somehow I didn't notice they were on, and I was just moderating like I always would. I recorded a few people, one of which appealed. I put the evidence on the appeal, somehow still not noticing that Damage Indicators was on. I had a Senior Moderator approach me about it, and I was honest with him. I told him what I'm telling you guys now, just in a little bit of a different way or course, and with more detail. The Senior Staff talked about it and this is the conclusion they have come to. I told them from the beginning that whatever they decided I would stick with, and I would respect whatever they decided, so I'm going to stick with that. 

For those that don't know a lot about me, or rarely talk to me: I am a big fan of a good mindset about everything. Anytime something goes wrong, or could go wrong I try to look at the positive, and keep the mindset that everything that happens has a reason. Whether it's good or bad, we can't control that. Sure, we can try our best to not make mistakes and put ourselves into a position to get into trouble, but you can't stay away from it forever. 

I won't be as active anymore, on the forums or in-game (obviously) so I'm going to take a paragraph or two and just encourage everyone, and hopefully help whoever I can.

I'm going to start with the question: "What is your  goal?" Personally my goal is to become a Preschool or Kindergarten Teacher. I can't necessarily do that now, because I need to get a degree in Early Education first. But that doesn't mean I can't work towards it, and do things now that will help me in the future. The past 2-3 years I've had this mindset of "I can't do anything right now to affect my future." Well just this past couple weeks that has changed. I've realized that I can take Early Child Development classes now in High School, and  it will not only help me get into a College but it will also look very good on a resume. I've also been helping more in the Preschool classes at my church. This won't go on any form but it will give me more experience and I will know what I am doing a lot better than I would if I didn't help at all or very little. I want to encourage everyone, whether you like school or not, or like taking harder classes, or don't want to take time out of your week to practice something, do it. With whatever you want to do when you're older, start now. There are classes you can take, and things you can be apart of that will help you a lot in the future. Not only will those things help you now, and as you are learning, but they will also help you later when you are applying for a job, and while you are doing your job. I know it doesn't sound exciting to learn about these things now, but it will really help you in the future. 

-If you got nothing from this, at least take this piece of advice. Don't let your mindset stop you from believing in yourself, and doing what you love.

If you have a question feel free to ask down below, I'm not going to be offended by anything you say. I made a mistake, my fault.

TooSweetSki February 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

Very humble about all of this. It says a lot about your character. And although I disagree with the decision, I appreciate your mindset after all of this.

A lot of people could learn from you and how you've dealt with this situation.

You were one of the better Moderators, you were always active and I couldn't always rely on you to get things done.

You leave with dignity and respect, not everyone does when faced with this similar situation.

Fair play to you mate :)

Eteh February 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

You're only tempbanned for 7 days what's the big deal about it?

profbananaslug February 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

down to only 20 mods OHHH BOY

anyways another huge overreaction by the senior staff over a momentary lapse of attention

Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

You're only tempbanned for 7 days what's the big deal about it?
Not a huge deal, but I don't want to answer the same 5 questions from multiple people. 

I also can't say I agree with a 7 day temp-ban. I don't mind, but I feel like it should have been longer. According to the rules I was hacking. Anyone else and that's a permanent ban.

Passively February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

Uhm, goodbye Micah. I hope we can talk again soon :) Good luck in your life!

Do you remember this?:
I'm sorry Micah, you didn't make it :(... Just kidding you did it xDD

Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

Uhm, goodbye Micah. I hope we can talk again soon :) Good luck in your life!

Do you remember this?:
I'm sorry Micah, you didn't make it :(... Just kidding you did it xDD
I'm sorry Micah, you didn't make it :(... Just kidding you did it 

Omg that moment.. LOL I completely forgot about it. 

moqah February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

ripppppp mocha

Junr February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

RIP, you were a great Moderator, hope to see you back on the team when you apply again.

SamuelJacob9 February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

Don't agree with the demotion at all, but it is great that you are okay about it I guess.

dev_revs February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

find it odd that the community never agrees with the demotions.. says something to us about the staff team. Great mod! Very active. Gl in life. See you soon.

profbananaslug February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

reminder that anyone below senior mod is pretty much expendable because there's always dozens of semi-trustworthy enthusiastic people willing to take the job

hasl February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

Much respect man.

_Nathy February 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM UTC

One of the better moderators

Using damage indicators in spectators which in no way affects gameplay, which is why hacking is illegal in the first place

Gets demoted

Please I need a councillor.......

I'd actually like a reason as to why that is illegal. I find it silly.

It's like having a beer while watching cars drive past. you're not driving one of those fucking cars. Drinking and driving is illegal, but that isn't. And while you might argue, yes however they might join and play,  but then I'll say that I might get bored of watching and drinking and start driving. ONLY THEN am I breaking the rules and am a danger to others.

DaFrozenBlaze February 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

Rip

Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

One of the better moderators

Using damage indicators in spectators which in no way affects gameplay, which is why hacking is illegal in the first place

Gets demoted

Please I need a councillor.......

I'd actually like a reason as to why that is illegal. I find it silly.

It's like having a beer while watching cars drive past. you're not driving one of those fucking cars. Drinking and driving is illegal, but that isn't. And while you might argue, yes however they might join and play,  but then I'll say that I might get bored of watching and drinking and start driving. ONLY THEN am I breaking the rules and am a danger to others.
I was so playing as well. It was on for a few hours without me noticing somehow. :p

Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

reminder that anyone below senior mod is pretty much expendable because there's always dozens of semi-trustworthy enthusiastic people willing to take the job
Okay, I understand that you are just stating your opinion but please don't bring it here. There was nothing wrong with what happened. The Seniors were easy on me imo. I broke a rule, that's what happened. I didn't get demoted for no reason, or very little reason. They had every right to permanently ban me and not give me a chance to re-apply for Moderator, at least for a while. They did the exact opposite. They encouraged me to come back and made it pretty clear that they didn't want to do this. If they didn't it wouldn't be fair to everyone, and that would be biased. 

Take the negativity somewhere else please and thank you.

Myworld6 February 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

Wow. One of the best moderators and you've been demoted. Thanks for being so honest and not putting your own little spin of it. I'm glad that it didn't affect you too much. :)

profbananaslug February 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

Okay, I understand that you are just stating your opinion but please don't bring it here. There was nothing wrong with what happened. The Seniors were easy on me imo. I broke a rule, that's what happened. I didn't get demoted for no reason, or very little reason. They had every right to permanently ban me and not give me a chance to re-apply for Moderator, at least for a while. They did the exact opposite. They encouraged me to come back and made it pretty clear that they didn't want to do this. If they didn't it wouldn't be fair to everyone, and that would be biased. 

Take the negativity somewhere else please and thank you.
it's clear you've been brainwashed by the system if you really believe that this was the correct reaction. the facts are that there are like 5 or 6 less mods today than there were like a week ago in a time when the server seems to be constantly under assault by hackers. in these troubling times, one of the (better) mods makes a tiny (and seemingly brief) slip-up where DAMAGE INDICATORS of all things (which EVERYONE knows improve your PVP by 1000% and give you a huge advantage) were turned on for a bit (and not even really used in a pvp match, at least based on what you wrote). the worst thing perhaps is the fact that there was no malicious intent at all in your use of the damage indicators, it was just a small oversight with barely an effect. i mean, it would be one thing if you were deliberately using them, but come on. there's a reason that in many legal systems you will get punished if you sock some dude in the arm and break it, but you won't if you accidentally break the dude's arm dragging him out of a burning building (in this case "breaking some dude's arm" is far more extreme than what actually happened, but the dragging-out-of-a-burning-building thing is helping people out, just like moderating).

Myworld6 February 1, 2017 at 8:02 AM UTC

it's clear you've been brainwashed by the system if you really believe that this was the correct reaction. the facts are that there are like 5 or 6 less mods today than there were like a week ago in a time when the server seems to be constantly under assault by hackers. in these troubling times, one of the (better) mods makes a tiny (and seemingly brief) slip-up where DAMAGE INDICATORS of all things (which EVERYONE knows improve your PVP by 1000% and give you a huge advantage) were turned on for a bit (and not even really used in a pvp match, at least based on what you wrote). the worst thing perhaps is the fact that there was no malicious intent at all in your use of the damage indicators, it was just a small oversight with barely an effect. i mean, it would be one thing if you were deliberately using them, but come on. there's a reason that in many legal systems you will get punished if you sock some dude in the arm and break it, but you won't if you accidentally break the dude's arm dragging him out of a burning building (in this case "breaking some dude's arm" is far more extreme than what actually happened, but the dragging-out-of-a-burning-building thing is helping people out, just like moderating).
Hey, if you want to say this make an 'Ask the seniors' thread. You keep starting arguments and you're going to end up with a forum ban eventually. Just leave it.

profbananaslug February 1, 2017 at 8:02 AM UTC

Hey, if you want to say this make an 'Ask the seniors' thread. You keep starting arguments and you're going to end up with a forum ban eventually. Just leave it.
i'm not starting any arguments, the people that reply to me do.
i just finish them.

Sweedie February 1, 2017 at 9:02 AM UTC

Rip :(
Come back soon! :)

PokerFace February 1, 2017 at 9:02 AM UTC

I really hate to see you go Miqah, but I am glad to see that the seniors cut you some slack for a couple reasons.
1) Damage indicators does give an advantage, but it is barely noticeable. 
2) It was obviously an accident.

I hope that you take the opportunity to apply again when the time comes.

kycrafft February 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM UTC

I really hate to see you go Miqah, but I am glad to see that the seniors cut you some slack for a couple reasons.
1) Damage indicators does give an advantage, but it is barely noticeable. 
2) It was obviously an accident.

I hope that you take the opportunity to apply again when the time comes.
They obviously cut him slack because BIAS! Also cut him slack --> slack -> staff slack -> conspiracy

No, in all seriousness it's a shame this had to happen, and hopefully nothing is irreparably damaged.

AtditC February 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM UTC

What a stupid way to get demoted :/

The 7 days temp ban is pretty unnecessary tho.

GrapeSmoothie February 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM UTC

find it odd that the community never agrees with the demotions.. says something to us about the staff team. Great mod! Very active. Gl in life. See you soon.
You think this is new? There have always been times when the community disagreed with demotions but is not nessesarily because they were "unfair" community members don't understand that rules are rules and proceed to be biased towards the person because they like them or they are on the same team. Your reactions are nothing different from those two years ago

Walt February 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM UTC

You think this is new? There have always been times when the community disagreed with demotions but is not nessesarily because they were "unfair" community members don't understand that rules are rules and proceed to be biased towards the person because they like them or they are on the same team. Your reactions are nothing different from those two years ago
+1 

@ OP: rip

TheColdCrafter February 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM UTC

ripp, i was there when this happened. hopefully this was just an unintentional screw up, i dont expect something like this from someone as hardworking and dedicated as you to be on purpose. hopefully you can come back, you were one of the best mods :(

Rombeyy February 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM UTC

Lmao I love how the active staffs get ban for a little problem and the ones that are not on since 1985 and just get on a sec don't.

And this is a problem that the devs should prevent, updating and upgrading the anticheat or just adding an anti damage indicator it's easy as that

ElementalAssasin February 1, 2017 at 12:02 PM UTC

rip micah one of those sort of mods which didn't seem to try hard for senior just loved doing his job and not a lot mods can do that these days thanks for being around the staff team ;)

dev_revs February 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM UTC

I don't think it's new, and I understand that you guys have rules and policies to follow, but in my opinion, some leniency should be given out for moderators/ staff members who put a lot into there position, and shouldn't be given the demote off a mistake like this.

ogel February 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM UTC

lol

kiawwa February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

You've always been loved Micah. Please come back and never leave! You're such a great moderator and just straight a good person. Most of us understand what happened, it was an accident, and you are forgiven. I'm glad that you are so humble about what happened, not lying once.

You smell.
But I love ya :)

Iron February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

I don't think it's new, and I understand that you guys have rules and policies to follow, but in my opinion, some leniency should be given out for moderators/ staff members who put a lot into there position, and shouldn't be given the demote off a mistake like this.
That would be bias, what seniors make sure not to be.

Myv February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

I can't believe the Staff 'Team' demoted you for an accidental thing that changes fuck all and gives you next to no advantage, furthermore you weren't even applying it in a game so I have no idea why this has happened, you shouldn't respect it at all imo but well done for taking such a shit decision so grown up and in an accepting way.

I could make loads of complaints about the staff but I'm just laughing so hard rn at them, not at you.

Thanks for everything anyway :p

Lmao I love how the active staffs get ban for a little problem and the ones that are not on since 1985 and just get on a sec don't.

And this is a problem that the devs should prevent, updating and upgrading the anticheat or just adding an anti damage indicator it's easy as that
Yeah, for example Arigenn who hasn't been on for a couple of months and is STILL senior.

xNemoII February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

Yeah, for example Arigenn who hasn't been on for a couple of months and is STILL senior.
just shut up lol you don't even know what goes on in the staff chats and shit

resepignev February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

I can't believe the Staff 'Team' demoted you for an accidental thing that changes fuck all and gives you next to no advantage, furthermore you weren't even applying it in a game so I have no idea why this has happened, you shouldn't respect it at all imo but well done for taking such a shit decision so grown up and in an accepting way.

I could make loads of complaints about the staff but I'm just laughing so hard rn at them, not at you.

Thanks for everything anyway :p
You should read the whole thread before commenting on it. Micah already confirm he was playing with it activated.
Also if a player is accidentally fly hacking on the server, would you let that slip and not ban him?

To the people complain that he got demoted and banned even after he dedicated so much time to moderating and helping out players, aren't you normally the ones that instantly cry "bias" as soon as the staff team decides to ban, promote or demote users? Just because he was a staff member he should be treated differently than a normal user?
Well, right now you are the ones that are biased, which is quite hypocritical...

Acceqted February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

another mod bites the dust...

bum bum bum

an active mod bites the dust..

and another mod gone and another mod gone, another mod bites the dust.

imryaan February 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM UTC

Great respect for being honest Micah

You were one of the good moderators who really took pride in their job and put maximum effort into moderating

Good luck in life and I hope you can for fill your dreams.

:(

You should read the whole thread before commenting on it. Micah already confirm he was playing with it activated.
Also if a player is accidentally fly hacking on the server, would you let that slip and not ban him?

To the people complain that he got demoted and banned even after he dedicated so much time to moderating and helping out players, aren't you normally the ones that instantly cry "bias" as soon as the staff team decides to ban, promote or demote users? Just because he was a staff member he should be treated differently than a normal user?
Well, right now you are the ones that are biased, which is quite hypocritical...
Obviously I or another member would ban a fly hacker, but damage indicators don't really help the player and I feel a warn and no temp ban would have been satisfactory due to it also being an accident.

keller183 February 1, 2017 at 7:02 PM UTC

I don't see why they just don't implement a feature that adds the health above your head, it's already on a bunch of servers and it's not even that big of an advantage in the first place rip rip

Goodnighht February 1, 2017 at 7:02 PM UTC

Obviously I or another member would ban a fly hacker, but damage indicators don't really help the player and I feel a warn and no temp ban would have been satisfactory due to it also being an accident.
damage indicators don't really help the player

It does. Whether you are intentionally noticing it or not, you are going to target the person with lower health. It could be subconsciously or consciously your brain will go "Oh that person has lower health!" and with that you will target someone. You may also know if you are doing better than them in a fight, if you can shoot them and they will die, if they are 4 hits to dead or 1. There are many ways it helps, whether you're looking at it or not.  

Also +1 
GrapeSmoothie that was really well said. Even though no one paid attention to it. xD

dev_revs February 1, 2017 at 7:02 PM UTC

Fly hack =/= damage indicator

w0nders February 1, 2017 at 7:02 PM UTC

One of the reasons I left the server is bc of these bullshit rules. Like holy shit you can see his hearts big fucking deal. Who even cares just tell them to turn them off. Honestly you make a big deal over the smallest thing. Instant demotion and a tempban. God the staff gets more and more retarded by the second. Miqah I hope you become a teacher and hope you stay if avicus staff get their chromosomes back.

XtraMajestical February 1, 2017 at 8:02 PM UTC

Its like using anti knock-back in spectator mode.... Doesn't affect the game play one bit so i dont see the problem tbh but i understand why this happened xd

lactify February 1, 2017 at 8:02 PM UTC

One of the better and active Avicus moderators.

In all seriousness, thanks for all you did, it was amazing, and best of luck with your dream career!

tomqss February 1, 2017 at 10:02 PM UTC

Now someone explain to me... what would you say if you knew he used an illegal modification and wasn't demoted nor banned. That would be bias, and I would agree. 

His demotion, for much of a better or worse moderator he could be, is 100% correct. He was supposed to make the rules be applied, not to break them. The fact that Avicus has few active moderators has nothing to do with this.

Also, to the ones saying he wasn't using it while playing he even said that himself lmao

NolanDalton February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

I don't really think this is necessary, I'd be one thing if he fly hacked or used kill aura but damage indicators? Come on. Not sure if there's a staff warning system in place now like there kinda was when I was a staff member but he should some sort of a warning to never do it again, not a full on demotion.

thespina February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

Avicus just lost their best mod

EDJM9 February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

Unfair, you should receive a second chance if it was accidental. Like what profbananaslug said. You should be allowed back onto the staff team. You were not pvping or anything, so you were not in anyway affecting others game-play, and you even switched over to LabyMod to help other players.

PieZ February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

Whatever the outcome was it was not going to be a good one. With this information out now, we had a certain group that wanted Micah to receive a punishment for what he did while there are others that didn't want anything to happen. We knew with the information, there was going to be a backlash. 
That being said, I don't believe there is anyone in the senior staff team or in the staff team with bad opinions of Micah. But, we needed to make a hard decision based off facts alone, not feelings. There are guidelines and rules community members must face and so do the staff members with only one person who is able to go around these guidelines. With only one recorded incident of this happening in the past, we decided to do the same punishment. This was just following guidelines and rules.

Now, the rules and guidelines themselves will come under conversation in the next few days as I will be changed going off the information that was given to us by a few people. We want to make sure people are not using an illegal modification by mistake and is punished by it. Hopefully, this brings a positive change to the ruleset and guidelines. 

Anyways Micah, you were one of the chillest mods here. You did a fair amount of work and got the community to like you for who you were. After your temp ban and you do decide you want to try to come back, I would have a huge feeling it would be very easy for you. Thank you for all your work Micah. Please stay as mature as you are now.

ytilauxesomoh February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

Tbh i find it hard to believe that even on avicus the moderators wouldnt know basic rules. Whatever the normal punihsment is should be inforced.

Spartemex February 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM UTC

You handled this incredibly maturely. You were a good mod, it's kind of startling this happened, but I seriously respect you for they way you handled this.

Goodnighht February 2, 2017 at 12:02 AM UTC

Tbh i find it hard to believe that even on avicus the moderators wouldnt know basic rules. Whatever the normal punihsment is should be inforced.
Not sure you understand. I know the rules. The difference is that I just simply didn't notice that damage indicators on. It wasn't intentional, but it was against the rules. Therefore I got a punishment for it. I still don't see anything wrong with it. 

-@Half the people in the post.
I. Used. Them. While. Playing. 
This wasn't just while I was spectating, I used them for a good 3-4 hours, playing, spectating, afk, etc. Over half these arguments don't even apply to what happened.

Posighdun February 2, 2017 at 12:02 AM UTC

Pretty well put to be honest. Regardless if Micah was a good moderator or not, rules are rules. If that was a different mod then he/she would be punished the same way, or it would be bias.

potatoarmor February 2, 2017 at 4:02 AM UTC

Ily micab stay humble and build skybases on jungle

felipu_feliu February 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM UTC

opinion????-??-?-?

^ joke, don't give any opinions cuz i hate those who only ask that

I just have to say that you look like a really nice guy even though I don't know you at all, I am sorry for what happened (I was demoted on OCN so I know how it feels) and I wish you the best to achieve your goals in life

2BJ February 2, 2017 at 7:02 AM UTC

Avicus just lost their best mod
not really no

Capenage February 2, 2017 at 3:02 PM UTC

Respect to you Miqah

Thanks for your service, gonna miss you.

Capenage February 2, 2017 at 3:02 PM UTC

not really no
It's true Emily

Mr_Ant87 February 2, 2017 at 8:02 PM UTC

Nice to see there's some transparency about this, I usually don't see it on other servers I've played on. And maturity, too.

Although I don't really know you since I'm relatively new here, it seems like you were a good mod, so that sucks.

And since ending off this post on the previous paragraph would sound weird, good luck on your teaching goals.

Goodnighht February 2, 2017 at 8:02 PM UTC

Nice to see there's some transparency about this, I usually don't see it on other servers I've played on. And maturity, too.

Although I don't really know you since I'm relatively new here, it seems like you were a good mod, so that sucks.

And since ending off this post on the previous paragraph would sound weird, good luck on your teaching goals.
good luck on your teaching goals.

Thanks. :) <3

AMIES February 2, 2017 at 10:02 PM UTC

You were a brilliant Moderator, I didn't get to speak to you much or get to know you but you still seemed like a really chill guy that most if not everyone in the community liked. I hope you do decide to come back and this time if you do we get to know each a lot better.

Jotrexwitz February 3, 2017 at 1:02 AM UTC

u deserve it  u where really inactive as all the mods plus you lock my forum for posting some songs lol

Goodnighht February 3, 2017 at 2:02 AM UTC

u deserve it  u where really inactive as all the mods plus you lock my forum for posting some songs lol
lol Thanks babe. <3