Avicus Archive

[WIP] More (Mini) Updates! by hpux March 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM UTC

Hello everyone!

I was quite happy with the results of my previous thread, therefore I have decided to create a new one. However, this one will be somewhat miniature, and will contain updates on the updates. I will release updates on staff applications later today after the Senior Staff finish discussing it. For now, keep on giving feedback! You will most likely see a more major one of these after the staff meeting on Saturday.

Updates on Staff Applications: Coming soon!

Regarding the Tournament: The Event Committee is continuing to gather referees. Once all applications come in, and all replies are sent out, the tournament will begin to move faster. So far, we've coordinated the tournament staff into different groups, in order for the planning and running of the entire tourney to be more efficient. The tournament will most likely hold 32 teams, and will be DTM. Expect more updates on the tournament this weekend, and after the 4th of April.

Public Beta Testing: After discussing with the Event Committee, mainly Para, we have decided that the best time to hold the beta testing would be this weekend, near the times of the staff meetings, in order to accommodate the most players, as well as online staff. A time has not been released yet, but expect that sometime within the next day. I was thinking 7 PM EST, but that would most likely cut in with the staff meeting.

Demoted/Retired Staff Reassessment Rule: Recently, the Senior Staff have received about twelve different requests from demoted/retired staff to either reassess their demotion or let them back onto the staff team. We discussed a rule about it, and came up with an idea where demoted staff must reapply when staff applications next open up, unless the Senior Staff feel that the demotion was completely unjust. As for retired staff, they may come back as Jr. Mod with a short trial. Please give your opinion on this rule, as this may become a concern.

Remember, all of this is a work in progress. I will update each topic with more soon, as well as add more topics. I needed to get this out there before the staff meeting,when there will be too many topics to release at once.

Suggestions? Comment below!

Atdit March 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM UTC

"Please give your opinion on this rule, as this may become a concern."

I give a +1!

mustafa March 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM UTC

"completely unjust"

What exactly would that be?

JustBudah March 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM UTC

Can you make the public BETA testing time, more EU friendly?  Like 4/5 Pm EST or the same time but then on Sunday.

EDIT: Ps, I really like these updates! Now we know alot more about several things.

ImRaging March 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM UTC

I think the 'Demoted/Retired Staff Reassessment Rule' is gud. Why not do a straw poll?

hasl March 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM UTC

I think the 'Demoted/Retired Staff Reassessment Rule' is gud. Why not do a straw poll?
A poll including the community would be completely inaccurate, it's up to the Senior Staff Team to judge demotions.

@OP Sounds good, but what about the new forum regulations?

hpux March 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM UTC

A poll including the community would be completely inaccurate, it's up to the Senior Staff Team to judge demotions.

In progress, but we have bigger priorities at the moment. You'll see that soon though.

Porkyyy March 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM UTC

Is there a set date for the Staff Reassessment day?

resepignev March 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM UTC

I would say that retired staff also have to re-apply like demoted staff. Well, like you say people can change...

hpux March 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM UTC

I would say that retired staff also have to re-apply like demoted staff. Well, like you say people can change...
Hmm. If, say, an Administrator retired, and attempted to come back a few weeks later, that would be rather unfair for all the hard work and time they put into the server.

@MLGPorky I may not release any information about that yet.

resepignev March 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM UTC

Hmm. If, say, an Administrator retired, and attempted to come back a few weeks later, that would be rather unfair for all the hard work and time they put into the server.

@MLGPorky I may not release any information about that yet.
Oh ye, didn't thought about this case. Well it depends on what position the retired staffmember was. Admin -> Sr Mod, Sr Mod -> Mod, Moderator re-applying. Just a thought...

Robin_DD_J March 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM UTC

I'm really hyped for the tm, it will be great!

But if a staff retires, he ""Reitres". That's it, he have to wait until the staff apps are up again (And he got a good shot because sr.mods know how he is). I wouldn't find it fair otherwise.

Kammeh March 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM UTC

That's great peachy, thanks for the update, also, I really agree with resepignev's idea about the retired staff. This is really unfolding well and the server seems to be making great progress. :D

Tarheelkiwi March 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM UTC

I have always had a problem with Retired Staff returning without filling out an application.  When you retired, you have voluntarily gave up your rank.  I feel that, Retired Staff must apply just like everyone else.  Just my opinion <3

BoldAndBrash March 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM UTC

Honestly, if they retire, they're putting an end to their duties. If they want to come back, great. But they shouldn't just have their rank handed right back to them. (Junior Mod)

Zedther March 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM UTC

I hope you realize the community's opinion is far more important than the staff's.

UmbreonMessiah March 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM UTC

I hope you realize the community's opinion is far more important than the staff's.
Well, staff are part of the community too. What you said kind of sounded like the staff opinion doesn't matter.

Emmaye March 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM UTC

Is there a set date for the Staff Reassessment day?
Where does it say that? Do you mean as in reassessment for all Moderators or only the ones under the "returning" part?

Dyspa March 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

"Demoted/Retired Staff Reassessment Rule: Recently, the Senior Staff have received about twelve different requests from demoted/retired staff to either reassess their demotion or let them back onto the staff team. We discussed a rule about it, and came up with an idea where demoted staff must reapply when staff applications next open up, unless the Senior Staff feel that the demotion was completely unjust. As for retired staff, they may come back as Jr. Mod with a short trial. Please give your opinion on this rule, as this may become a concern"

Don't accept everyone dude, you did it with the staff apps and we had way too many staff, I know we wanted some more staff but that was more than enough, just don't let every retired mod come back, be more strict c:

Vobaseball12 March 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

Thanks for the updates, Peachy!

FrozenSolstice March 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

Where does it say that? Do you mean as in reassessment for all Moderators or only the ones under the "returning" part?
I was confused as well. I had not heard news regarding a reassessment day.

Lavish March 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

"Demoted staff must reapply when staff applications next open up, unless the Senior Staff feel that the demotion was completely unjust."

My concern with this rule is, if a demotion is completely unjust, it shouldn't have happened in the first place, second, its all opinionated, some might think its completely unjust, some might not, I think the reassessment system was more fair and doable.

Edit: Also, at what point would you guys decide a demotion is "completely unjust" after it has occurred, and how would you decide that it was "completely unjust"? Deciding a demotion already takes enough time and discussion, I'm sure you guys would want to move on and continue with your other business instead of dwelling on the justification of a demotion. There should always be adequate reasoning involved in a demotion, so in reality, as I said before, there should never be unjust demotions in the first place.

kycrafft March 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM UTC

"Demoted staff must reapply when staff applications next open up, unless the Senior Staff feel that the demotion was completely unjust."

My concern with this rule is, if a demotion is completely unjust, it shouldn't have happened in the first place, second, its all opinionated, some might think its completely unjust, some might not, I think the reassessment system was more fair and doable.

Edit: Also, at what point would you guys decide a demotion is "completely unjust" after it has occurred, and how would you decide that it was "completely unjust"? Deciding a demotion already takes enough time and discussion, I'm sure you guys would want to move on and continue with your other business instead of dwelling on the justification of a demotion. There should always be adequate reasoning involved in a demotion, so in reality, as I said before, there should never be unjust demotions in the first place.
This.

Hacktivism March 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM UTC

+1

@OP thanks for the updates! Really looking forward to the tourney and public testing.

FrostedCupcakez March 26, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

Thanks for the mini update Peacheh! As of now, I don't have any problems/concerns. Good job :D

Lavish March 26, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

I have always had a problem with Retired Staff returning without filling out an application.  When you retired, you have voluntarily gave up your rank.  I feel that, Retired Staff must apply just like everyone else.  Just my opinion <3
Retired staff retire for different reasons. I think it would depend on that reason. It wouldn't be fair to make one reapply if they had a fair reason, like retiring because of stress from school, but then wanting to come back 2 weeks later. It should all depend on the different factors that contribute to their decision to retire, and how long it takes them to want to be re-promoted after they retire. Also their prior rank should factor in.

_Gill March 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

I feel as if demoted staff should have the be given the opportunity to at least know what they messed up on. Ive heard reports from numerous staff about being demoted without an explanation or warning. I think this is unacceptable. There needs to be a valid reason every staff member is demoted. Just saying, "Hey, you haven't met our standards, bye!" Isn't good enough, and never has been. There needs to be a certain level of detail that goes into demotions, and if the Sr Staff team can't come up with enough reasons, then clearly the staff member in question shouldn't be demoted. And I also think that any retired staff member should be able to have a conversation regarding their demotion with at least one Sr Staff member who knows the situation and can adequately explain the demotion to the moderator. Ive always sat down and talked with people that I demoted (if requested), and gave them my reasoning for demotion. If they argue their side of the story persuasively, then their demotion should be reconsidered. For example, I remember some of the Sr Staff members (when I was an admin), wanted to demote a certain Mod (who later became Admin). They basically said they wanted to demote him because he was inactive, and they did, without knowing the full case or talking to the Moderator. He confronted me, and I explained the him the staff's reasoning. It turns out that he had actually filed a notice that he wouldn't be active due to family matters, so I admitted our mistake and re-promoted him.

Overall, I think that demoted staff should be able to at least know why they were demoted, and then given the opportunity to defend themselves.

Thank you for reading this brick of unpolished text,
Max

ProfessorUtonium March 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

^^^^^^^^
What Gill said
Demoted staff should get reasons on why they were demoted so they can improve next time they apply

Beta testing 7pm est? What about 4-6 PM est?

Lavish March 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

I feel as if demoted staff should have the be given the opportunity to at least know what they messed up on. Ive heard reports from numerous staff about being demoted without an explanation or warning. I think this is unacceptable. There needs to be a valid reason every staff member is demoted. Just saying, "Hey, you haven't met our standards, bye!" Isn't good enough, and never has been. There needs to be a certain level of detail that goes into demotions, and if the Sr Staff team can't come up with enough reasons, then clearly the staff member in question shouldn't be demoted. And I also think that any retired staff member should be able to have a conversation regarding their demotion with at least one Sr Staff member who knows the situation and can adequately explain the demotion to the moderator. Ive always sat down and talked with people that I demoted (if requested), and gave them my reasoning for demotion. If they argue their side of the story persuasively, then their demotion should be reconsidered. For example, I remember some of the Sr Staff members (when I was an admin), wanted to demote a certain Mod (who later became Admin). They basically said they wanted to demote him because he was inactive, and they did, without knowing the full case or talking to the Moderator. He confronted me, and I explained the him the staff's reasoning. It turns out that he had actually filed a notice that he wouldn't be active due to family matters, so I admitted our mistake and re-promoted him.

Overall, I think that demoted staff should be able to at least know why they were demoted, and then given the opportunity to defend themselves.

Max
No doubt, you made some excellent points in this. This is how things should work, but sadly, it isn't this way, I hope that will change as soon as possible.

hpux March 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Max
I agree here, especially when you put yourself into that person's shoes. 

@Seth 6 PM EST would work out, but that's the exact time of the staff meeting. The Map Dev meeting is at 8 PM EST, so it works out pretty nicely. We'll have another session for EU players most likely the next day.

Tarheelkiwi March 27, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

Retired staff retire for different reasons. I think it would depend on that reason. It wouldn't be fair to make one reapply if they had a fair reason, like retiring because of stress from school, but then wanting to come back 2 weeks later. It should all depend on the different factors that contribute to their decision to retire, and how long it takes them to want to be re-promoted after they retire. Also their prior rank should factor in.
Then here is how it should work.  When a staff member were to retire ( for what ever reason ) they don't get the retired rank until an "x" amount of time ( like a month or so ).  This is saying that they are permanently retiring from their job.  However, if they plan to taking a short break, less then a month, they they can come back with their rank.  But, they don't receive their rank until they have been retired for a while.

I will give an Off Topic example: the international sports Hall Of Fame.  You must be retired for a least 5 years before you area inducted into the Hall Of Fame.  This is to make sure that you are serious about retiring.  Same applies for when staff retire from their rank.

Porkyyy March 27, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

Max
You're absolutely right. I'm not sure if they are given a reason through a private chat, but that should be happening. 
Thanks for the point!

MangoSmoothie_ March 27, 2015 at 5:03 AM UTC

Honestly, if they retire, they're putting an end to their duties. If they want to come back, great. But they shouldn't just have their rank handed right back to them. (Junior Mod)
Well, I don't think that the staff role is 'being handed back' to them. Jr Mod is a trial, not all retired staff are going to become mod.

ImRaging March 27, 2015 at 6:03 AM UTC

Oh, ok.

RightSide March 27, 2015 at 6:03 AM UTC

+1