Avicus Archive

[OLD] [4/25/ 15 - 8/7/17] Development Log by keenanjt April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

See every single change at the revisions page.

keenanjt April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

1.8 users should see some new features today:
Other recent updates:

keenanjt April 26, 2015 at 5:04 PM UTC

New credit reward sounds. You can select which sound should play when you earn credits. The default will be the orb pickup sound. Once servers restart and update this will take effect!

scolton April 30, 2015 at 3:04 PM UTC

In the last week, as many of you have seen, I implemented  /stafflist (which works) and /friends (which I fixed but we're just waiting for changes to be pushed).

Now, I have added colored text based on the distance of a bow kill at the request of Awesomerp. It works as follows:

keenanjt July 12, 2015 at 6:07 AM UTC

Javipepe July 12, 2015 at 6:07 PM UTC

Enhanced /msg as some of you already saw on the Revisions tab. In a nutshell:
This should appear on servers when they restart, hopefully you like it :)

Javipepe July 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM UTC

Hello again! I have added a new command that hopefully you will like: /namehistory. As the command is pretty long it also has two aliases: /nh and /nhist. 

You can probably guess what this does, checks the namehistory for a player on-the-fly. Kylo also made it async so hopefully it won't take more than a second to load. It is server wide. Also all of you have permission to use it. 

Hopefully you'll like it :)
Regards
javipepe

keenanjt July 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

Javi and I are finishing a couple new things today and tomorrow:

Javipepe July 15, 2015 at 8:07 AM UTC

Hello! Some new changes that kylo and I have made and should already be live on the servers!

Stay tuned, new things are coming!

keenanjt July 22, 2015 at 11:07 PM UTC

Going to take advantage of this MC downtime to perform some maintenance on the server. It shouldn't take longer than 1-2 hours.

And... We're back. Servers coming up soon. MC is still offline though.

keenanjt July 23, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

Awesome update!

When Mojang session servers go down, we do some of our own checks to validate users instead. Even if the session servers are down, if you login from your typical computer and location, you'll be able to access Avicus!

keenanjt July 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM UTC

I added a chat bot to the lobby... Just punch it and it will start talking.

keenanjt August 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM UTC

Fixed sneak-walking into protected regions.

Servers must finish a rotation and restart first.

Javipepe September 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM UTC

Hello folks. 

As you have probably noticed, there have not been a lot of updates to the server dev-wise, while we have been working on quite a lot of them. I'm now going to explain why these mentioned stuff is not live yet. We are preparing our stuff for 1.8, because we have to change the structure of loads of stuff, drop support for many others, and create new cool stuff.

To put you into situation, we have a commit where we changed quite a lot of the structure, but that's not finished. Hence that commit is not pushed into the server, meaning it's obviously not live on any server (except Expo, read a bit more and you'll know). On top of that commit we have every update we have made since then. 

Expo is the server where kylo and I test stuff (only seniors, devs, and admins have perms to access it). There, every commit we make gets pushed sooner or later for testing proposes there and only there, to see bugs and debug them; because we don't care if basic (let's say kill tracking) things don't work, however, it's the other way around on public servers. So, in a nutshell, we need to debug the very basic to the very top so we can make sure nothing bad will happen if we push to public servers after their respective restart.

So basically you'll get the idea with this diagram that would represent the revisions page :

Revision Author Description Date
e440b18 javipepe Fix java.util.* import about 23 hours ago
f9e23ec javipepe Create doublekill/crosskill patch about 23 hours ago
2b6d9cd thekeenant Remove displays attachment in gamer 19 days ago
700eb96 thekeenant Current version 19 days ago
d501400 javipepe Add space so kylo is :smiley: 25 days ago
dc78e95 javipepe Cancel GamerDamageEvent if gamer is frozen 26 days ago
3b5fb3b keenanthompson Update fanciful library 29 days ago

So, what I want to explain here is that commit "3b5fb3b" (the last one) isn't live, the above ones won't either. So we got to make sure every new commit from the bottom to the top is correct, that's the meaning of Expo. Why that "Expo" name and not something like "Dev"? No idea, blame kylo. 

The following is the list of changes that you can expect to appear when we update to 1.8:
  1. (For staff - jrs+)-  /f <player> (-u) - Freezes a player so they can no longer commit bad things. Unfreezes with -u. Staff members, if you haven't already, read the guidelines and usage here .
  2. Patch for crosskills/doublekills/however you want to call it - What is that? When you kill a player and the player kills you too. Nasty, ah? Well it's fixed.
  3. Several block-lag and block-delay fix attempts
  4. (For staff)-  For the sake of being able to write a longer reason, /ban /kick and /warn are now aliased into /b, /k, /w respectively (you can still use the old ones though). Also /history is aliased to /h for speed reasons when looking into a user's infractions when about to punish.
A bit on the doing and the to-do:
  1. We are planning on using 1.8 titles on a lot of more things, like when you win, a report comes in, etcetera. Titles are a great way of displaying information for an user and is much better for important info.  What is a title javi? How do you dare!!!
  2. New cool website updates, as the forum-online indicator. Sneak peak here!
  3. FFA gamemode, its development was started on kylo's stream.
  4. Discounts are now possible on the website, along with many other things, the new webpage will come with a 30% discount!
  5. To Do: New revamped appeal system, shifting away from the forum system that wasn't really the best way of handling appeals and acting on them.
  6. To Do: Many fixes and addons to the ingame report system (as adding an ID for each) so /takereport on click is finally possible!
  7. To Do: Enhancements to the combat log reporting system.
  8. SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS!
We hope you like this small (well maybe not that small) heads up, thanks for flying Avicus; harden your seatbelt for the next update, woo hoo!

Regards!

PD: We may have a double perspective kylopepe livestream soon!!!!

keenanjt October 23, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

Live streaming now!

I'll update this post with things that are accomplished tonight and/or this weekend.

Javipepe November 8, 2015 at 12:11 PM UTC

Hello!

Many of you may have seen the new website changes kylo has been working on lately, and now (most of them) are live! In a nutshell these are the changes:
Also, the 1.8 update is really near and with it, loads of new features and tools. We are hoping to deliver it next weekend, though we'll see if it we can meet this deadline.

Raise your hypes, and thanks for playing!

keenanjt November 21, 2015 at 3:11 AM UTC

Released crates, keys and lotteries update!

keenanjt November 21, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

Vote for Avicus and get a random reward!

Javipepe December 12, 2015 at 12:12 AM UTC

/stafflist is now arranged per server, in a cleaner way, and with cute arrows, lots of cute arrows!

Javipepe December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

A bit of a bugfix for staff members, /reports now works as it should, with the most recent reports first (a new fancy layout coming soon!), thanks Kylo!

Also, death messages you are involved in are now bolded, so...

Javipepe April 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM UTC

Hello! Since it's been a while, a small catch-up on the most important features / fixes that have taken place within the last weeks. Enjoy!

Avicus
:
Avicore:
Atlas:

keenanjt May 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM UTC

maps.avicus.net is back up and running

And Throwback is too.

keenanjt May 11, 2016 at 6:05 PM UTC

Updated to support Minecraft 1.9.4 (servers must finish their rotation to update).

I'll be getting back to Atlas development after Friday when I wrap up my last exam.

Here's what has been done since the Atlas announcement:
What I'm working on now:

Posighdun June 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM UTC

Updated to support Minecraft 1.10

ALM June 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM UTC

Here's What's Been Happening:

Web:
A nice forums update is coming out with the release of Atlas, stay tuned for more details at a later time!

Atlas:
Avicore:
Shout out to the Map Devs!
A lot of work has been done since the last dev log in regards to getting maps ready for the update. The map development team has been working hard to make this update happen. Without them, this update would not be possible. 

Expect more updates in the near future.
As always, to stay up to date with the latest developments, check out our development page.

keenanjt June 28, 2016 at 4:06 PM UTC

Translations added to the rules page!

We'll be working on ensuring proper grammar and that each language communicates the same information.

If you would like to help: https://github.com/Avicus/Rules

Javipepe June 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM UTC

As you may or may not have noticed, a few days ago I added some fancy titles to monument destroying and wool capturing with some cool icons. If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a few screenshots:

However, I found people that loved them and people that found them annoying; so the most intelligent - and requested - thing to was to add a small toggle to it (will be live on server restart):

Just a small heads up :)

keenanjt July 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM UTC

ALM has added tournament-specific punishments and alerts recently. He has also added significant amounts of documentation to atlas.avicus.net. Do check it out if you are interested in Atlas and writing Atlas XML.

We've been very happy with how Atlas testing has been going. We've only seen a few bugs, the only things that need changing are little additions that Avicore has that Atlas is lacking. Progress!

keenanjt July 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

Server menu update to accommodate the change in number of servers! It is now a single menu, the colors have changed a bit, and that's it.

keenanjt July 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM UTC

maps.avicus.net now has Avicore and Atlas maps (YML and XML).

ALM July 25, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

Recent posts have finally returned.

ALM August 6, 2016 at 12:08 AM UTC

A new feature for scrims!

You can now define players in the scrim invite/uninvite commands.

All you have to do is instead of using a team tag, use -p PLAYERNAME

For example, 
/scrim invite -p ALM
/scrim uninvite -p Fouled

keenanjt September 5, 2016 at 8:09 PM UTC

Atlas update released! But you all know that. Here's some helpful links:

About Atlas game manager: https://avicus.net/forums/discussions/3cf3e9cff
Atlas release thread: https://avicus.net/forums/discussions/857d6f075 
Atlas bug fix log: https://avicus.net/forums/discussions/8b3647326

keenanjt September 5, 2016 at 8:09 PM UTC

keenanjt September 14, 2016 at 1:09 AM UTC

We've closed 15-20 issues in the past day or so, fixing bugs and adding features left and right. Among them (see github issues for in depth list):

New XML features, undocumented as of yet:
Right now we are focusing on the remaining issues at www.avicus.net/issues, but also we are focusing on improving (new) user experience. We are adding a server tutorial, in addition to map tutorials to explain what Avicus is and such. We also have plans for some nifty gadgets, so stay posted.

We hope everyone appreciates this format of updates, instead of waiting months for a massive update (like Atlas)!

keenanjt September 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM UTC

Worked on some changes to the server menu. Right now it is not utilized, but for future gamemodes this may be relevant. Server groups, which group together servers of the same gamemode, are represented as a single icon in the server menu. Left click and right click performs different functions.

This makes it easy to find a match, but still possible to join a specific server, or spectate an ongoing match you desire.

keenanjt September 15, 2016 at 3:09 AM UTC

Added a new setting: SpectatorView for toggling if you see other spectators as a spectator.

Added /stats (equivalent to /tracker, but better).

keenanjt September 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM UTC

Implemented a sidebar in the lobby.

Javipepe September 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM UTC

Mentioning people on the forums.

ALM September 18, 2016 at 8:09 PM UTC

Improved development page a bit.

Added Frenzy.

keenanjt September 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM UTC

Some changes made in the past week:

keenanjt September 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM UTC

Some user experience updates:
Fixed bow issues (inventory updates) with compass module. This fixes some funky frenzy glitches.

keenanjt September 29, 2016 at 9:09 PM UTC

Added /t and /g improved commands.

/t <your message>
/g <your message>

or

/t: to toggle team chat
/g: to toggle global chat

Kashike January 6, 2017 at 2:01 AM UTC

If you're premium you now have the option of teleporting to other players by clicking on their name, such as friends:

ALM August 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM UTC

This update is large, but it does not contain any visible features as of yet so I am going to post it here.

First, let me start off by giving you a little history of Atlas. Atlas was first written with one goal in mind, to fit the needs of Avicus in the current state that it was in when development began. This state was purely a completive PVP-oriented environment and thus Atlas was written to only satisfy those needs. This has it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that we are able to handle these sort of games extremely well and are able to write features to cater to these specifically. The disadvantages of this are that we are not really able to write features to better suit and support other game types, such as walls or SkyWars. These game types are currently stuck in Atlas but do not fit in with the rest of the games and are poorly handled in places that expect competitive conditions to be happening as opposed to more simple games such as these.

This has been a problem since the beginning, and adding new game types over time has become increasingly more difficult and hacky. To help remedy this issue, I have written an external loading system similar to the way Bukkit loads plugins that we now use to write components for Atlas. Right now Atlas is a load of different features that are written to facilitate specific game types and that aren't used outside of these types. With this system, I have extracted out different parts of Atlas (competitive, walls, skywars, generic arcade) and left the core Atlas with just things used across game types (regions, checks, base executors, zones, etc). The nice thing about this new system is that new game types can be coded into an external component and only loaded in on certain servers so that core Atlas does not need to change with each addition. 

Here's a list of the game type sets:

This system does have one caveat, and it effects some of the maps we currently have in the repository. You cannot combine game type sets in maps anymore. This means that maps such as Walluar or SkyWars maps with hills or flags are no longer possible but the advantages highly outweigh the few negatives.

New features and games should come of this soon,
Austin