Avicus Archive

Battle of Eternity 2: Day 1 Review by dev_revs November 19, 2017 at 1:11 AM UTC

Hello everyone, those were some very interesting group stage matches. The main issues were on the server side of things. First off, I want to thank each player, and team for being patient with us throughout dealing with these issues, teams could have gotten more angry and I'm very happy you guys were hanging on with us. I'm just going to go down the line and talk about certain things.

Official Servers: Yes! We were actually ready to start on time! But only one small issue, the scoreboards were not showing up on official servers. You can't play a game mode based on points, without seeing the scoreboard. The servers were put up late the night before, but were not checked for any issues. It sounds rotten, but there was nothing the official team could have done.

Scrim Servers: After a thirty minute delay Koja and I had to think fast, so we resorted to the use of scrim servers (yes, you heard me). It was either this or delaying the whole tournament, which I don't think anyone wanted. This did slow the tournament down a bit.. we had to reserve servers, invite the teams to them, veto.. etc. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. Group A was patient with us, and Group B gets the real hoopla for starting over an hour late and still hanging in there to play their matches. Thank you guys for working so efficiently with what we had. On a side note, the Conquest server crashed, but the scrim servers stayed open!

Tournament Staff: To be honest, most of Group A we were very short handed. Koja and I were running the show by ourselves with the help of a couple referees who showed up. Those refs were very flexible with our decisions and I hope they explained it to you very clearly and in a nice tone. Now, for the Streamer team, those of you who know me I am the main guy to stream tournaments and everything on avicus, today that wasn't an option due to me having to officiate and get everything going as fast as possible. We had one streamer who apparently left because he was receiving complaints about his stream, we are looking into it. Xuph streamed a little of Group A, and zicuri was streaming Group B so thanks to those guys for stepping in. Things will be better for the invitational rounds. Expect some tournament staff changes.

Maps: I think the maps all worked fine, (thanks Distraction and the other map devs!) If you came upon any errors let us know, at least that aspect was working.

End of the day Screenshare: At the end of Group B, the officials decided to screenshare a Jalapenos player who was receiving complaints on being fishy. In the middle of the screenshare he logged off, that resulted in him being banned and the team taking round losses for each match the player played in.

Discord Crash: This was the icing on the cake, Middle of Round 1 of Group B, discord crashed and was down for a good hour, so teams instantly jumped to the Avicus TeamSpeak to play, major props to them for thinking outside the box to do that, it was probably the most people on TeamSpeak in a long time too. The event staff had no way to communicate other than in-game chat so they did a good job of improvising too.
Now, onto a more positive note: 8 Teams advanced onto the invitationals to play next Saturday! Please congratulate these 8 teams:

-Rome [6-0]
-Team Rocket [5-0]
-50 Shades of ALM [5-1]
-Praetorians [4-1]
-Celestial [4-2]
-Heartclaw [3-2]
-BmBadCompany[3-3]
-Xenarch[2-3]

The invitationals will take place on November 25th at 12pm EST start time. All matches in the winners bracket will be Bo3, and the first two rounds of losers b01. All the issues we had today will be fixed for a stellar invitational round. Thank you all for staying with us today, I hope to see you all next satruday!
http://avicus.challonge.com/battleofeternityII
(You can create predictions now too!)

Regards, 

The Avicus Network Official Team.

ProfessorUtonium November 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM UTC

nobody cares

Hivu November 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM UTC

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend. I'm not sure if that's the greatest time to play an avicus tournament, especially if 12 pm EST is in the evening in the EU.

Spoookeh November 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM UTC

why are losers bracket games bo1?? Maybe the first couple of rounds but definitely not last 2.

Seuthy November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

nobody cares

zicuri November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

Starting time is not the best one for eu (mostly of Rome) it would be much better to start at 11 am est, losers should not be all Bo1 probably the first two rounds since the teams there are not high competition but semifinals and finals of losers must be bo3

CantMelee November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

During one of out matches in Group A, the scrim server we used was hosted by Jala for some reason and thus some Jala members decided to spectate our match and we couldnt really do anything about it. Why was the scrim server hosted by jala and not one of the teams actually playing, and why were jala members allowed to spectate? Theres a clear difference between watching the livestream of a match and being able to see everything.

CantMelee November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

Starting time is not the best one for eu (mostly of Rome) it would be much better to start at 11 am est, losers should not be all Bo1 probably the first two rounds since the teams there are not high competition but semifinals and finals of losers must be bo3
With 8 teams, 4 teams would make it to losers round 1, and thus the first match would be semi's. Would all of the be bo3 then?

ProfessorUtonium November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

hey that’s my main 

Winston is good

fuck Reaper though

Wahiz November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

Yipee! Really triggers me that  HeartClaw has a better record due to the fact that there was an odd amount of teams D:

Patrikano November 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM UTC

During one of out matches in Group A, the scrim server we used was hosted by Jala for some reason and thus some Jala members decided to spectate our match and we couldnt really do anything about it. Why was the scrim server hosted by jala and not one of the teams actually playing, and why were jala members allowed to spectate? Theres a clear difference between watching the livestream of a match and being able to see everything.
We had reserved the scrim server a day prior and could not unreserve when we were asked to since the scrim already started. So then it was decided that a match should be played on there if I was fine with it. I obviously was.

Only two Jalapeno members were there and honestly, what did it change? There's a stream that shows basically the same thing and also nearly all officials and referees are in a team that participate in the tournament, so if this was some fear of us 'stealing' your strats, then it's pretty flawed thinking.

Lokigh November 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM UTC

Starting time too early for me:(

dev_revs November 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM UTC

I’ll correct that, only rounds one and two losers are bo1, and the tournament will end probably no later than 8pm for EU.

Juanooo November 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM UTC

get a faster vetoing process ffs

profbananaslug November 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM UTC

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend. I'm not sure if that's the greatest time to play an avicus tournament, especially if 12 pm EST is in the evening in the EU.
thanksgiving is on thursday u know

Vior_ November 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM UTC

Bottom of the pit

Passively November 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM UTC

get a faster vetoing process ffs
The vetoing system is good. What's wrong with it?

AtditC November 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM UTC

The vetoing system is good. What's wrong with it?
Sorry but LMAO no it's not good.

It takes ages. Honestly. The best way to veto is just to move 2 leaders from both teams with a ref into one channel and then just do it quickly. It took always like 5 minutes for one vetoing.

Hivu November 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM UTC

thanksgiving is on thursday u know
ik but i'm celebrating on the weekend

profbananaslug November 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM UTC

ik but i'm celebrating on the weekend
yeah i know that feel bro, i celebrate christmas in march

zicuri November 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM UTC

Can we let Jalapenos play ? like being completely honest xenarch is just not good enough to be in invitationals

ProfessorUtonium November 20, 2017 at 9:11 PM UTC

Can we let Jalapenos play ? like being completely honest xenarch is just not good enough to be in invitationals
+1

ytilauxesomoh November 20, 2017 at 9:11 PM UTC

Building on this: it sucks ass when you spend all day playing a tournament (and in jalapenos's case weeks scrimming) just to have it cut short because one person was cheating. Since I've been in their position twice before, I can just about guarantee none of them knew he was hacking. 

In an ideal world all the matches could be replayed without him, but for time's sake I would say the easy fix is to ban him and have jalapeños play a match against xenarch to decide who gets the last spot in the invitationals.

zicuri November 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM UTC

Yeah let's give Jalapeños an opportunity to prove themselves to actually be better than Xenarch without a dirty cheater

Vior_ November 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM UTC

This hurts but I agree.

zicuri November 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM UTC

This hurts but I agree.
Man I like you now because of this lol

dev_revs November 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM UTC

Sorry but LMAO no it's not good.

It takes ages. Honestly. The best way to veto is just to move 2 leaders from both teams with a ref into one channel and then just do it quickly. It took always like 5 minutes for one vetoing.
It takes ages for two reasons, one the teams take forever to decide, and two the ref doesn’t ask quick enough. When I was running matches it didn’t go longer than 3-5 min

AtditC November 21, 2017 at 1:11 AM UTC

It takes ages for two reasons, one the teams take forever to decide, and two the ref doesn’t ask quick enough. When I was running matches it didn’t go longer than 3-5 min
Tell my why you wouldn't move 2 leaders from the teams into one channel? You can't blame the leaders of teams for taking long, you have to force them to answer; they had enough time to prepare for the vetoing. Just move 2 leaders from the teams into one channel with a ref and make it quick. If someone can't decide, a random map will be chosen, to make things faster.

Vior_ November 21, 2017 at 3:11 AM UTC

Man I like you now because of this lol
They honestly deserve it more, I doubt they knew he was hacking

dev_revs November 21, 2017 at 4:11 AM UTC

Tell my why you wouldn't move 2 leaders from the teams into one channel? You can't blame the leaders of teams for taking long, you have to force them to answer; they had enough time to prepare for the vetoing. Just move 2 leaders from the teams into one channel with a ref and make it quick. If someone can't decide, a random map will be chosen, to make things faster.
Because when that happened last tournament, and in other tournaments the leaders always go back into their team channels to consult with them, so therefore it takes just as long.

zicuri November 21, 2017 at 4:11 AM UTC

Because when that happened last tournament, and in other tournaments the leaders always go back into their team channels to consult with them, so therefore it takes just as long.
You just have to explain it better like announce that they should be aware of what map they want to play against certain teams, also opinion on what inloc and I said above?

AtditC November 21, 2017 at 4:11 AM UTC

As zicuri said, you can just mention this in the tournament announcement post. Just add a part about vetoing which could look like this:

Vetoing: In the vetoing process, one leader of two teams are moved in a separate channel together with a ref to ban maps. The leaders have max. 10-20 seconds time to decide which map they want to ban. If they fail to give an answer in this time, then a random map will be banned.

This way it's just so much easier for everyone. The leaders are expected to prepare, if they don't it's their fault, and we don't want to pay the price of endless waiting! Thanks

dev_revs November 21, 2017 at 5:11 AM UTC

As zicuri said, you can just mention this in the tournament announcement post. Just add a part about vetoing which could look like this:

Vetoing: In the vetoing process, one leader of two teams are moved in a separate channel together with a ref to ban maps. The leaders have max. 10-20 seconds time to decide which map they want to ban. If they fail to give an answer in this time, then a random map will be banned.

This way it's just so much easier for everyone. The leaders are expected to prepare, if they don't it's their fault, and we don't want to pay the price of endless waiting! Thanks
That’s kinda what happens(at least for a more firm tournament host like me) If they aren’t responding to me on a map to veto, I’ll move on. I still think teams prefer to stay in their channel.

dev_revs November 21, 2017 at 5:11 AM UTC

You just have to explain it better like announce that they should be aware of what map they want to play against certain teams, also opinion on what inloc and I said above?
If you’re referring to replaying matches if someone is banned, I would agree and i will make sure this is discussed between the official team for a change. Sadly nothing we can do this tournament about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

SR_Vlado November 21, 2017 at 7:11 AM UTC

I dont have any suggestions that could really improve the Tournament. I hope that this Saturday the Offcial Servers are online and the scoreboard is fixed...

OCDs November 21, 2017 at 7:11 AM UTC

I like the idea but im pretty sure jala's leader quit all the discords but if his team can get him back possibly however the official team are already known for not sticking to rules after T5 which caused upset so idk if it'd be best to do in this tm.

poofywoo November 21, 2017 at 8:11 AM UTC

They honestly deserve it more, I doubt they knew he was hacking
Tbh we still don't even know if he was hacking.

OCDs November 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM UTC

Tbh we still don't even know if he was hacking.
Most ppl thought he was and the way he left like that kinda confirms he did. I wouldnt keep believing he didnt as it will only bother u for longer.

Acceqted November 22, 2017 at 12:11 AM UTC

Adding onto vetoing issue. I can vouch us refs have talked about making it quicker and getting it done. Vetoing should be the short progress. 

Sometimes it comes down to a couple things

PM on discord if  you want more answers, I'll be happy to discuss :)

AtditC  zicuri

Juanooo November 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM UTC

Adding onto vetoing issue. I can vouch us refs have talked about making it quicker and getting it done. Vetoing should be the short progress. 

Sometimes it comes down to a couple things
  • Refs still being distributed, or confused/stressing out because it's their first time doing it. [20% of the time]
  • Teams taking a while to decide which maps, they didn't prepare before hand [10% of the time]
  • Issues with languages, for example English refs with Spanish teams or vice versa. And as I said before we have problem solved this issue already. [30% of the time]
  • Lack of refs and officials either playing or not online. This was a constant issue from what I've heard especially in Group A. Demotions have been made already and I'm pretty sure that issue shouldn't occur again in the future. You don't know how frustrating it is to be an officials or ref and then have to answer questions or leave your match just to solve an issue. This brings to lack of event staff which I believe is being fixed.

PM on discord if  you want more answers, I'll be happy to discuss :)

AtditC  zicuri
lmao
Firstly, where did you get those % from?
Secondly, it’s not team’s fault a “20%” of the refs are not fully prepared to do their job. That just shows how incompetent the tm team is.
Thirdly, if they take that much of a time, establish a limit for leaders to veto their maps and randomize it if they’re not fully ready.
Also, aren’t the officials supposed to be hiring spanish refs as far as I’m aware? What could you possibly think about the situation when there’s obviously a large part of the community that’s spanish.

Acceqted November 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM UTC

lmao
Firstly, where did you get those % from?
Secondly, it’s not team’s fault a “20%” of the refs are not fully prepared to do their job. That just shows how incompetent the tm team is.
Thirdly, if they take that much of a time, establish a limit for leaders to veto their maps and randomize it if they’re not fully ready.
Also, aren’t the officials supposed to be hiring spanish refs as far as I’m aware? What could you possibly think about the situation when there’s obviously a large part of the community that’s spanish.
  1. Thought it would help, tbh I just guessed. 
  2. We've established in ref chat already that if they aren't prepared message someone for help.
  3. I guess this could work, but It would have to have more thought put into it.
  4. Spanish refs are existent but that doesn't mean they are on 24/7. And if we only have one Spanish ref on, then they will take a Spanish match, but when there's two Spanish matches.. 

zicuri November 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM UTC

Guys, isn't it stated that 1 or 2 members MUST speak english fluently in the tournament rules?
and like this discussion is pointless just leave it, you are a ref so you basically have nothing to do with this and juanoo is a unexperienced guy

Acceqted November 22, 2017 at 2:11 AM UTC

Guys, isn't it stated that 1 or 2 members MUST speak english fluently in the tournament rules?
and like this discussion is pointless just leave it, you are a ref so you basically have nothing to do with this and juanoo is a unexperienced guy
Don't remind if that still stands from last tournament, it should /shrug

Diabolicx November 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM UTC

I'm always on leave during events 

:thinking:

RATTLEWARRIOR November 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM UTC

MonkeySlap for Official!