Avicus Archive

My Introduction as Administrator by gobernment November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

As of 11/7/2015, I've been elected as a new administrator of the network, following the former's retirement. My role is to direct and manage staff members. I'm excited to see what the future holds: and I appreciate the support that I've been given. Given all of this, I want to tell you guys more about what I'd (like) to achieve for Avicus.

One goal I have for the network is to bring it back to a lessened state of war. Currently, there's a large divide between staff and community, and I want to repair the relations, especially for the staff side, and collaborate on Midnight to make the best decisions welcoming everyone. I want to note something that Merlin told me, and it was very wise, that I haven't heard before.

Because of the toxic players, it should be a responsibility to listen to them and focus on what they have to say, even if I have to have "selective hearing"; just because of their actions, they are still members of the community and they are to have a voice valued just as the rest as anyone else. I've focused a lot on safety and probable cause: but the issue is, I've focused too much on threats and only listened to one party, instead of listening to both and formulating proper decisions. It was noted that threats should be at the back of my mind, and not the front. Also, we've relayed a lot of chaos and drama that further divides the community, which we absolutely don't need at this point, nor did we need that before.

As for regular players, I want to make it a comfortable environment to where the staff aren't being too strict and lenient, and have the guidelines turned into a ruleset. Having them be guidelines, it strays away a lot from what the punishment is intended to be, and causes a lot of inconsistency and bias, also having the moderator have their own decisions when punishing someone. I want the punishment guidelines currently to be straightforward, used properly, and possibly reformulated to include more specific situations and so forth so there's less confusion. While not trying to overcomplicate things, I want to find a balance, and I think I have an idea on how to do it.

Bringing me to my next point, policies. Policies have been ambiguous, inconsistent, unenforced, and, at times, have seemed to cause more trouble than they're worth. With policies, they're meant to be there for a reason, and they don't mean anything if they aren't enforced. Policies are intended as laws for staff, and if there needs to be changes, they should be revised, instead of having so many breaks and interpretations. Having these also straightforward and clear, would clean up a lot of the problems currently presented in our system. I may also be open to hear policy suggestions from the community.

Continuing with staff, I believe training hasn't really "hit hard" yet. I have had a lot of things go through my mind with this, and I would like to thank Pie for enlightening me. I am intrigued in staff taking (accurate) quizzes to see what kind of learner they are, and to work off of that basis. Working with their preferred method, it would make things more clear and consistent. It'd fix a lot of missing puzzle pieces, and from there, I also want to train moderators more morals and values, and to know how to respond to situations properly. I want the moderators to work off of what they have, and still enforce rules as usual, but with administrative and senior support, I'm very much so willing, because it seems that moderators are a bit lost in the jungle at times. Oh, and TeamSpeak training is being phased out.

Now... feedback. I believe in free speech, but to a reasonable point as long as there is feedback. Saying "awful" or "no" isn't exactly a great platform to work on, but I am more than happy to spend as much time as I can taking note of what everyone has to say. I've already practiced this as a senior moderator, and in administrative power, it should be simpler to carry out. I realize that a lot of the feedback may not be internal, since I'm the staff administrator, but I'd like to work with anything I'm presented with and communicate with who I need to. I'll take complaints, personal feedback, forums issues, or whatever you wish. I've tried to be more open minded and fixing my attitude instead of being just one sided, and taking feedback is an effective way of fixing those qualities.

Another thing I've been wanting to make use of is handpicked staff. The system was discontinued, but I'd like to return it under some strict conditions, and mainly I'd prefer it to be used as something where it's not "this player might be able to handle a job as a mod", no, but it'd be "I can guarantee this guy would be good". I don't want anyone questionable going in, and I'd also like to set in a character limit and policy for value of what is said. I want the system to be used properly, and not get poor results from it. The handpicked system also did prove well when we got moderators like Oscar and Dilpickel, and it'd be a nice thing also if we could try ways of evidence that they are good and perform checks (such as log checks, ip checks, discussions) before we consider giving them the rank, or possibly merging other older processes with it.

My final thing I want to do is fixing organization. A lot of senior documents have been scattered, and I can't really work with that. I'm a believer of scheduling things (creating agendas, assisting with what I need to, executing requests, etc.) and by making a calendar of what I need to (Idea captured mainly by Jozz) I'd like something that keeps me in line with my tasks and responsibilities, and it'd make things a lot easier for me to work off of. As well as this, if you have a document you want to draft, I can do that as well: give me a topic, if you can, collaborate with me, and I'll do my best to get to what we can.

I want to promise that I will be more active on TeamSpeak.
I want to promise that I will be clear in staff instruction.
I want to promise that I will value everyone's opinions.

Nothing here is really confirmed, and most of it is what I'm set out to doing, but my promises I will uphold. I also am a firm believer of transparency, so I'd like to further continue the newsletters, spotlights, and update posts as well when I can.

As for a personal introduction: I'm 14, I'm formerly TheMasterCow. I'm learning German and Spanish, and words that describes me are Dedicated, Genuine, and Analytical. I'm here to answer questions both stemming from my new position, and between me, personally.

gobernment November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

Reserved!

Vobaseball12 November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

And a truly amazing guy

Numberz_ November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

One thing I have always loved about you is your dedication. You'll do some great things for this server, I'm willing to help you in anyway I can. Congrats and best of luck as administrator.

GrapeSmoothie November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

yay

Robin_DD_J November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

You'll do Great, just dont do too much, take breaks.

nintendoboy11 November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

You'll do great as an Admin!

Sevoo November 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

You seem like you can actually do something about things. 

Not to put any pressure on you, but, for the love of God, make a difference.

Other than that, good luck man, I believe in you ;D

dentmaged November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

One thing: screen share players randomly.

hasl November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Oh I can't wait to get started! :))

SnowSX3 November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Looks like you've proved the doubters wrong.
Good luck Para!

Arigenn November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Looking forward to working under you! :)

FrozenThorn November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Yay! It's so great to see you as an admin, seeing you going from a Jr Mod to Admin is an amazing thing, you have done so much for this server and I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Onwards and upwards for us all!

FrostedCupcakez November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Love the Admin tank with your IGN Para, very well deserved! I wish you the best of luck ((::

NovaLikesPvP November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

GL ^•^!!

TheTNTPotato November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

yay
yay

alexanderjoe November 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM UTC

Highly deserved, you will do some great things Para. Gratz Man!!

Javipepe November 8, 2015 at 11:11 PM UTC

Congrats mate! Expecting great stuff from you

Porkyyy November 8, 2015 at 11:11 PM UTC

Para, I'm extremely happy to see you become Admin. I knew for a long time that you would eventually get this position, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can bring to Avicus.
You're very dedicated to Avicus, and I look forward to seeing what you can accomplish.
Good luck, and congratulations! :)

DaFrozenBlaze November 9, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Yay Nice :)

LemonLime_x November 9, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Very exciting. It's nice to see someone so forceful about tne changes they want to see. I was very surprised reading you were 14, you seem to have the maturity of someone much older. Good luck :)

Jahaj November 9, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Good things lie in Avicus' future!

Hughsie1 November 9, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Good things lie in Avicus' future!
they really don't LOL

DonaldMyTrump November 9, 2015 at 4:11 AM UTC

Cool intro.
Some Pointers:
-Standardize punishments
-Demote the inactive without hesitation
-Add me on skype, I dont see why you removed me.
-Fix the maps gameplay wise
-Don't train within staff, almost all staff here are bad at detecting hacks bring an experienced hack detector in to train
-Bring back 18+
Ill give ya more later.

TheColdCrafter November 9, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

they really do LOL
not really