Avicus Archive

The Day of Silence by scolton April 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

Each year, the GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network) hosts an event called the "Day of Silence."  On this day, you are permitted (so long as it doesn't disrupt normal classwork, i.e. you must answer if a teacher calls on you) to remain silent for the entire day as a means of making the public aware of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender (and more) persons who are no longer with us, or for those who are closeted and must remain so for their safety.

This year, the event will be held on April 17 (tomorrow as of this writing in EDT).  If anyone wants to take part, you must wear a quarter-sheet of paper on your person that details the event and why you have chosen to be silent.

If you want to take part, your school is legally required to let you.  They cannot suppress your freedom to speak (or not) outside of classroom time.  This means that at lunch and between classes, you have the right to not speak.

Other information on the event can be found here: GLSEN Day of Silence Homepage

toketrain April 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

imo the day of silence is iffy. it just seems like something to make cishet allies feel good about themselves rather than, for example, letting queer people talking about their own experiences (just one example i've seen people talking about that would be better than this)

but on the other hand, it is good to have silence for those in the queer community that have passed, or are abused, or can't come out. i just like to look at it from both sides.

scolton April 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

imo the day of silence is iffy. it just seems like something to make cishet allies feel good about themselves rather than, for example, letting queer people talking about their own experiences (just one example i've seen people talking about that would be better than this)

but on the other hand, it is good to have silence for those in the queer community that have passed, or are abused, or can't come out. i just like to look at it from both sides.
Yeah, it's not perfect.  But at my school, it's really all there is.

toketrain April 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

Yeah, it's not perfect.  But at my school, it's really all there is.
i understand that. in some areas it is much harder to have these kinds of things. i live in a very liberal place (seattle) so im probably speaking from a more privileged point of view when i say that

DonaldMyTrump April 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

Idk bout this. I'm all for the idea behind it but the execution and means to raise awareness could be a lot better imo.

i understand that. in some areas it is much harder to have these kinds of things. i live in a very liberal place (seattle) so im probably speaking from a more privileged point of view when i say that
Actually I live in one of the most socially liberal areas that I know.  But the issue is my school is tiny.  So until next year, when I start a Gay-Straight Alliance, this is the best I can do.

Idk bout this. I'm all for the idea behind it but the execution and means to raise awareness could be a lot better imo.
Something that needs to be more followed-through on is that after the Day of Silence, you're supposed to "break the silence" by posting on social networks your strong support for the LGBT+ community.

DonaldMyTrump April 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM UTC

Something that needs to be more followed-through on is that after the Day of Silence, you're supposed to "break the silence" by posting on social networks your strong support for the LGBT+ community.
I get it and its clever its just for the lack of a better term weak. I do however like that there are things being done and hopefully it is just the tip of the iceberg and more events like this will be created. It's good, has good motivations but I just don't feel that it's enough. Also sorry but in my school which is private and catholic although I'm not catholic they can tell you what you can and cannot wear, so I sadly will not be able to take part in this. Not that it means much but I'm with this idea and find this concept to be one of the few things worth fighting for as far as social matters go. :)

chaibrit1 April 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM UTC

I'll try my best, hopefully I can have my friends join me as well :) Thanks for informing us about this!

scolton April 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM UTC

I get it and its clever its just for the lack of a better term weak. I do however like that there are things being done and hopefully it is just the tip of the iceberg and more events like this will be created. It's good, has good motivations but I just don't feel that it's enough. Also sorry but in my school which is private and catholic although I'm not catholic they can tell you what you can and cannot wear, so I sadly will not be able to take part in this. Not that it means much but I'm with this idea and find this concept to be one of the few things worth fighting for as far as social matters go. :)
I'm sorry to hear about the oppression at your school, but I'm glad that you're supportive nonetheless.

scolton April 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM UTC

I'll try my best, hopefully I can have my friends join me as well :) Thanks for informing us about this!
You're welcome!  I'll be standing at the doors to my school from like 7:15AM until 8:10AM to hand those quarter-sheets of paper out.

Hete April 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM UTC

At my school, we actually can sign up for what we are going silent for. I'm pretty sure 3/4 of our school signed up :)

RightSide April 17, 2015 at 5:04 AM UTC

At my school people just write on the there heads like "sponsored silence" :)

scolton April 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM UTC

At my school, we actually can sign up for what we are going silent for. I'm pretty sure 3/4 of our school signed up :)
Awesome!!  I (shockingly) got almost the entire Junior High involved today.  They're usually so apathetic that I thought I wouldn't get any takers, but a lot of girls down there read through the sheet of paper and decided it was something they wanted to do so now I keep passing them in the hallway and it's awesome.

SirCyaniide April 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM UTC

I'm doing that today :DD. ironically enough so is my choir teacher xDDD. Thanks for making this thread, I was thinking of posting this too! :)

Iron April 17, 2015 at 2:04 PM UTC

If I was too do that in the UAE I would get deported.. :c

scolton April 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM UTC

If I was too do that in the UAE I would get deported.. :c
I'm sorry to hear that :/