Avicus Archive

Need some help... by Junr January 11, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

My mom bought me a laptop while I was at school and I was just setting it up and I did some research on it and it supposed to get 300-400 fps, but it doesn't. I don't know what to do, this computer seems like a scam and I thought it would be good, these are the specs:

MSI - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive - Aluminum black

Btw: i7 is 6th generation. 

profbananaslug January 11, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

i would make sure none of the parts are chinese fakes

on a more serious note, i used to have a rather high end laptop and i found that for some reason whenever i launched minecraft i'd have to right click the icon and select the graphics card from the contextual menu. if you go in game, make sure it says your graphics card is a 1060 and not intel integrated graphics. also idk if you laptop has a 4k screen, but if it does you probably should turn down the resolution if you want more frames as well.

AutoTool January 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM UTC

yeah make sure the graphics card is actually being used and your computer isn't by default going straight to integrated graphics

on a more serious note, i used to have a rather high end laptop and i found out that for some reason whenever i opened up the laptop i would experience quick flashes of depression and anxiety attacks. if you really think about it, the laptop is often causing these mental problems and fills you with regret and self hatred. if i were you i would probably get a refund on the laptop and try to reevaluate on the mistakes you have made.

Mykee_Gee January 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM UTC

yeah make sure the graphics card is actually being used and your computer isn't by default going straight to integrated graphics

on a more serious note, i used to have a rather high end laptop and i found out that for some reason whenever i opened up the laptop i would experience quick flashes of depression and anxiety attacks. if you really think about it, the laptop is often causing these mental problems and fills you with regret and self hatred. if i were you i would probably get a refund on the laptop and try to reevaluate on the mistakes you have made.
ur not funny

AtditC January 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

How much did it cost? I expect something over 1800$ (ok maybe less than 1800$ because where I live PCs are more expenisve), if it was like 800$, then it's obviously a fake.
Press F3 while you're in game (doesn't matter when/where) and look at the top right where it somewhere says "Display: ......" just one line below, does it say "GeForce GTX 1060..." or "Intel"? If it says something with Intel: Right click on your Desktop, go to NVIDIA Settings, click on the "Manage 3D settings" tab at the left side and then switch from "Auto-select" or "Intel...something" to your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, or whatever it says and save the setting. The next time you start Minecraft, it should automatically use your GPU and get you a lot more fps. On mid-settings much more than just 300-400 fps.

This is a common problem for laptops with integrated Intel graphics.

cellish January 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Erm your computer is built with really good stuff, should work well?

Junr January 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM UTC

How much did it cost? I expect something over 1800$ (ok maybe less than 1800$ because where I live PCs are more expenisve), if it was like 800$, then it's obviously a fake.
Press F3 while you're in game (doesn't matter when/where) and look at the top right where it somewhere says "Display: ......" just one line below, does it say "GeForce GTX 1060..." or "Intel"? If it says something with Intel: Right click on your Desktop, go to NVIDIA Settings, click on the "Manage 3D settings" tab at the left side and then switch from "Auto-select" or "Intel...something" to your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, or whatever it says and save the setting. The next time you start Minecraft, it should automatically use your GPU and get you a lot more fps. On mid-settings much more than just 300-400 fps.

My mom said it was 1.2k

MasterProX January 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM UTC

For easier reference, this is the laptop in question. The processor and graphics card are both good (for a laptop) — the parts themselves are not the reason your frame rates are low, nor is it a "scam"...

dev_revs January 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM UTC

My mom said it was 1.2k
For that price you could of just gotten a good quality PC

Junr January 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM UTC

Worked, tysm ;3.

Locking since issue is fixed, thanks if you helped :D!