Avicus Archive

Quick questions for the Mapdevs! by XtraMajestical August 17, 2017 at 6:08 PM UTC

I just wanna ask some questions about stuff being removed from maps, which in my opinion really affects the gameplay:
1) Why were the diamonds removed off Halcyon?
2) Why was the gold blocks removed from revanged?
3) Why was the snow replaced with dirt on Zalidor?
4) How come the diamonds on Quintus were replaced with iron?
5) Why was Rendezvous replaced with Rendezvous Redux, as I much preferred the original? 
6) And just generally how come some maps seem to be staying in the rots for such a long period of time, like that tnt one, I think it is called "Kollad", feels like it has been it rots ages. Can we not like mix up the rots more often and more evenly with a few more older maps etc.
-Thanks this is not suppose to be a rant or anything I just really wanna know why stuff has been changed / removed, as it seems to remove abit of the fun

PokerFace August 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM UTC

Good questions.

The Zalidor one I believe they mentioned that it was due to the snow causing lag.

profbananaslug August 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM UTC

there are no diamond blocks on halcyon anymore because they were stolen and put in maisosen remastered
they were probably stolen because people would take them and use them to defend mons which caused dust devils-tier stalemates
also rots don't change cause map devs r lazy, and rendezvous redux is an insult to rendezvous and i don't know why the put it in instead of the original which is like the most highly rated map (also matches on redux are way too quick)

Bleeple August 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM UTC

+1

ProfessorUtonium August 18, 2017 at 1:08 AM UTC

IM NOT MAPDEV SOO ILL TRY MY BEST LOL XD

I just wanna ask some questions about stuff being removed from maps, which in my opinion really affects the gameplay:
1) Why were the diamonds removed off Halcyon?

- no idea why the diamonds at middle were removed. I was highly against the diamond armor chest in the trees though. They were probably removed to reduce how easy it is to defend with it due to limited (and I mean LIMITED) iron to go against full diamond defenders.

yes as prof said, the blocks at middle were most likely stolen from Halcyon.

2) Why was the gold blocks removed from revanged?

- Ravanged* and with those gold blocks, you have the ability to craft god apples. I don't know why you would question this since iron > gold (that's what replaced the gold). (Fixed by removing apple drops and removing hidden apple chest even though the iron replacement is better)

3) Why was the snow replaced with dirt on Zalidor?

- That's to reduce lag as players would often spam snowballs over the floor (easily fixed by removing snowball drops)

4) How come the diamonds on Quintus were replaced with iron?

Quintus Origins and Quintus are two different things. Origins is the "original" diamond version and Quintus was the original concept when the transition from throwback rotation to destroy/capture/conquest rotation was made and to keep quintus origins for throwback events

5) Why was Rendezvous replaced with Rendezvous Redux, as I much preferred the original? 

even I don't know this one lol
I hate redux 

6) And just generally how come some maps seem to be staying in the rots for such a long period of time, like that tnt one, I think it is called "Kollad", feels like it has been it rots ages. Can we not like mix up the rots more often and more evenly with a few more older maps etc.

- rotations are being updated today (from what a mapdev said in discord)
and yes I agree
the rots are extremely terrible and the amount of time it takes to update is awful and disappointing when you have to play the same 13 maps for a month instead of having it mixed up with the other 80 destroy maps in the repo every week.

here are the maps that have been in rotations for the past 2-3 months without being removed:
Nevran Remastered
DustDevils
Halcyon1
Kollad
StarshineBeach
SunbeamTemple
RendezvousRedux
Sandstorm

8/13 current maps
wow

vladthegreat100 August 18, 2017 at 5:08 AM UTC

I blame global warming for the loss of snow on Zalidor