Avicus Archive

What are your opinions on Avicus? by DaFrozenBlaze July 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM UTC

I'm very curious to know what you players think of Avicus, especially the new OCN players.
Let's not start any flame wars :)

SnowSX3 July 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM UTC

I think the staying power is amazing.
This server has had a lot of highs but more importantly it's had a lot of lows and I think it really shows how dedicated the people who play on this server really are.
Because after all the ups and downs this server is still running and it's running comfortably. Which I personally think is amazing.

Iron July 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM UTC

Avicus is that one guy in gym who never does amazing (but not bad) at anything, but then in one sport he dominates. The sport is the community.

joelous July 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

The community is very good, staff is steadily improving as weeks go by but the server itself is becoming stale - that is - only one gamemode being online. Once atlas comes out hopefully there will be expansions of gamemodes.

ImNotYourTiger July 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

Staff is shit (with few exceptions), there's really only 1 game that everyone plays on Avicus, The attempts to improve Avicus aren't that great or helpful, and the community on all platforms of the server (forums, teamspeak, and Avicus in-game) have become total shit and now I'm triggered .

DryveGaming July 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

The community here is incredible. Pretty much everyone is friendly and helpful. While there are a bunch of different things to do, it seems like dtm is the only thing anyone plays, so a bit more variety there would be nice. Overall a great server!

1ix July 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

Some of the punishment reasons are bad (no offense)
But the power is good.
Its an under rated server, it deserves 300+ people atleast

Xuph July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

Good community
Games are a bit boring on public
I really enjoy the competitive aspect although scrims rarely happen due to inactivity of most teams
Staff are biased at times, overall staff are decent
Teamspeak is good
Forums are good
Development is extremely slow due to lack of developers or lack of time they are able to dedicate for the server development
Suggestions are often ignored
Hacking detection is crap from staff side, and seems like the tourney anticheat is decent

Overal i enjoy this server

gobernment July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

Cons:
Suggestions are ignored a lot
Staff are indecisive and turn decisions
The gamemodes are stale
TeamSpeak is ran by control freaks
Staff abuse is especially rampant
No checks and balances in staff team
Moderators ignore questions very often
Too much info is left private
Gamebreaking bugs are ignored/reoccur
The hack detection is poor
Lack of dedication between staff
Nobody gives credit when credit is due

Pros:
Little more than half of the staff are approachable
Forums are fun (except some drama)
Small server with interesting players
Maps are somewhat decent
Mods are excellent at chat moderation

Posighdun July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

The main reason why Avicus has never really "died" is because of the community. There will always be that group of people who will never give up. It has got a lot of potential, but it's a lot harder then it looks.

Tazz July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

Staff is shit (with few exceptions), there's really only 1 game that everyone plays on Avicus, The attempts to improve Avicus aren't that great or helpful, and the community on all platforms of the server (forums, teamspeak, and Avicus in-game) have become total shit and now I'm triggered .
The community is only shit in your opinion because everyone dislikes you.

Zegita July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

savage.

OP: I like Avicus, I played this server for a long time I don't want it to die and I'll try everything even though I can't do any developer stuff or anything else I'll always try to give suggestions. One thing that really shines out that I like about this server is that the officials and admins know what the hell they are doing. I can safely say that in comparison to OCN that this server the staff actually LISTEN to the community. The officials are really smart as well in this server like we have people who are experienced in tournaments and know how pvp works such as: Tazz, Cyclops, Pie, Sli etc. The admins as well know what they are doing and the devs are doing a great job of developing Atlas (it should be almost finished just a few bug fixes) and the fact they are hosting events to test it on "beta.avic.us" shows that they want the community to engage and give them feedback. The UHCs hosted in this are hillarious as fuck I love them xD. Also, teamspeak is just hillarious and great I feel like teamspeak a lot of avicus players chill in there and talk to people. Mega scrims as well are great it allows people to have fun and show their abilities in game (although it can be a cluster fuck). My only disappointment in this server is that for them to create better maps because the maps are so stale. Atlas looks sexy though so I'm really happy for this server :)

ImNotYourTiger July 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM UTC

Stop triggering me

And no, that's not the reason.

flyofff July 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM UTC

Especially 'STAFF IS SHIT' part is so true.

ImNotYourTiger July 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM UTC

Especially 'STAFF IS SHIT' part is so true.
Ikr

Haters gonna hate

Crimson_Aught July 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM UTC

Why am I coming back to Avicus? Because I want to destroy the monument. That is all :D

ogel July 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM UTC

Imo the maps are really bad, staff aren't that good, and there are too many gamemodes. To the people saying the gamemodes are stale some are but dtm isn't, its the maps which make DTM stale. Almost every map I have played is just a few lanes with monuments on islands which leads to gameplay being the same.

DaGoldBrick July 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM UTC

I like to snipe shitters like Tazz and remy on alts whilst staying muted in ts on a different identity and hear them rage and ban me. Something which I cannot do on any other server, avicus tickles my funny bone in an averagely gay way.

Iron July 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

I like to snipe shitters like Tazz and remy on alts whilst staying muted in ts on a different identity and hear them rage and ban me. Something which I cannot do on any other server, avicus tickles my funny bone in an averagely gay way.
It amazes me that people haven't figured out that you do this yet.

Nubbies231 July 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

Everything is good except I miss the shovels with knockback please bring those back.

Tarheelkiwi July 20, 2016 at 4:07 PM UTC

I have zero issues with avicus except for only one gamemode is played and that is SUPER boring.

MLGtino July 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM UTC

Avicus is that one guy in gym who never does amazing (but not bad) at anything, but then in one sport he dominates. The sport is the community.
Avicus is like the really old car in your shop that you've renovated and re-upholstered multiple times, but still seems really weak and outdated no matter how much you try to cover it up. It also runs the same way, where sometimes it starts up beautifully and runs with perfection as opposed to other times when it breaks down and is unusable, making you feel sad and disappointed that you can't spend your day the way you wanted to and have to resort to other means. But regardless of all of this, you've been with this junker for so long and have grown a connection that makes you never wanna get rid of it.

Sevoo July 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM UTC

Such a bad server in some ways but the community is a legit family. 

-The KB is fucked

-The randies are aids at PvP and bowspam the whole time

But, it's crazy how loyal the regulars are to the server. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't leave. This server is family to me at this point.

Jahaj July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

The community is exceptional, I love that we haven't updated to 1.9, I feel like the Devs have improved greatly since they were criticized a ton earlier, the Mod team is pretty good right now, and the Seniors are way better than they were a few months ago, but they still have a ways to go. Overall Avicus is trending upwards since the all time low we hit in I would say the 2nd half of 2015, and hopefully that will continue.

Tazz July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Yes I ban you and play public avicus you're right Jeff :D

Tazz July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Such a bad server in some ways but the community is a legit family. 

-The KB is fucked

-The randies are aids at PvP and bowspam the whole time

But, it's crazy how loyal the regulars are to the server. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't leave. This server is family to me at this point.
Nothing is wrong with bow spamming, it's a legit tactic just you can't counter it nor play with a bow.

Legoche July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Nothing is wrong with bow spamming, it's a legit tactic just you can't counter it nor play with a bow.
+1!!!

joonatan1998 July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

Just started playing, after hearing certain other server is going to shut down.

Seems pretty fun.

Why is the knockback weird?

ICHlBAN July 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM UTC

has alot of tournament memes for sure all i can say thats left besides what everyone else said :3

ones i can remember since TOC...

left cave was broken by professorutonium
i got tazz!
varsity > invitationals
runner up again

(no offense but inb4 this backfires on me geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

InLoc July 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM UTC

I like avicus

imryaan July 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

I guess teamspeak isn't run in the best way
Happy that the mapdevs are editing some of the throwback maps
Family style community even if I tried I just couldn't leave
Like Jahaj said, I love how we're not 1.9
The Senior staff team and admins are organised :)
Devs are doing an amazing job on atlas with those new features and gamemodes
There are always people to talk on teamspeak 

I think avicus are doing well atm :D

voidloop July 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

The community amuses me.

steven5703 July 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

The only reason why i still stick around is because Teamspeak and the people who go on teamspeak. Teamspeak is like a family to me

Cryomancies July 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM UTC

Cons:
Lack of players resulting in less interesting games not only by the player amount but also by playing games with people you've already seen a million times. This also means that there is less competition as you already know a lot about the opponent's skills and there's no almost no new people that would become regulars, and in turn a tougher opponent which would make the game more interesting. This obviously lowers the drive to play at least for me.
I know nothing about the staff here so I'm not going into that.

Pros:
Nebula is very hard to get bored of, seeing as I've been here for a long time, so Avicus is good at keeping things interesting enough for a long time.
This server at least used to contain less salty whiners than what I see on other servers.
This is a personal reason but this server isn't extremely competitive which means that it's easy to rack up kills on the occasional new batch of noobs, which in turn makes my kd higher which makes me feel awesome.
Avicus is original in the sense that there aren't many servers out there like this, which makes this server of more value in my eyes, especially since I enjoy the types of game modes that this server provides.
Even though this server isn't very competitive in the main gameplay it gives those more competitive a platform to play more competitively, which are the tournaments and scrims. Not only does it make avicus more enjoyable for more people in the gameplay sense but it also improves communications skills through Teamspeak and whatnot which can be very important in real life as well.

Keeland July 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

I feel there is a possible shortage of staff or lack of determination with staff. Maps on the 'Throwback' server are really boring, I prefer the maps on DTM01. Gamemodes work well, some chests in the walls are too overpowered. Community is sound

ProfessorUtonium July 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

has alot of tournament memes for sure all i can say thats left besides what everyone else said :3

ones i can remember since TOC...

left cave was broken by professorutonium
i got tazz!
varsity > invitationals
runner up again

(no offense but inb4 this backfires on me geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
ProfessorUtonium has destroyed cave

#NeverForget

killerbye22 July 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

You will always find your way back to Avicus.

HitByADagger July 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM UTC

You will always find your way back to Avicus.
Ma boyy back at in once agan with dem cheeky msgsss

BmB July 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM UTC

i think it smells like my feet to be honest

killerbye22 July 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM UTC

Ma boyy back at in once agan with dem cheeky msgsss
#CheekyBastard

Mr_Bloxley July 20, 2016 at 11:07 PM UTC

small server that has a loyal and tightly knit community

Sevoo July 20, 2016 at 11:07 PM UTC

I have mixed feelings about bowspamming. I mean I understand if it's in a situation where you're either low on hearts or getting teamed on or something but sometimes literally all people do is bowspam and it legit ruins gameplay. They stay in one place and never try to engage someone with a sword. I'm sorry but tactic or not it's fucking annoying and ruins gameplay. 

But that's not my point. My point is even though Avicus has a lot of flaws the community is so awesome I can forget those flaws.

DaFrozenBlaze July 21, 2016 at 1:07 AM UTC

I have mixed feelings about bowspamming. I mean I understand if it's in a situation where you're either low on hearts or getting teamed on or something but sometimes literally all people do is bowspam and it legit ruins gameplay. They stay in one place and never try to engage someone with a sword. I'm sorry but tactic or not it's fucking annoying and ruins gameplay. 

But that's not my point. My point is even though Avicus has a lot of flaws the community is so awesome I can forget those flaws.
Bowspamming is good

Howsie July 21, 2016 at 3:07 AM UTC

You just proved his point

SnowSX3 July 21, 2016 at 5:07 AM UTC

I disagree, I don't think it ruins gameplay, I think it enhances it.

In my experience, generally, people will run behind cover when I start bowspamming them , which starts a nice short-range bow battle

because bowspamming is only useful when you can actually aim with a bow right after the person gets behind cover.

It is a legit tactic and it's quite easy to beat tbh if someone thinks it's bad it's because they can't avoid fast arrows that deal half a heart xD

Very rarely do people just stand still, eat my arrows then call me a noob...well..people do that last thing anyway but you get what I mean.

Zintenka July 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM UTC

In my experience, generally, people will run behind cover when I start bowspamming them , which starts a nice short-range bow battle

because bowspamming is only useful when you can actually aim with a bow right after the person gets behind cover.

It is a legit tactic and it's quite easy to beat tbh if someone thinks it's bad it's because they can't avoid fast arrows that deal half a heart xD

Very rarely do people just stand still, eat my arrows then call me a noob...well..people do that last thing anyway but you get what I mean.
^

Also, if you want people to stop bow spamming, stop sword spamming... :P

Just... runnin' along and wildly swinging a sword all day in a block game isn't really much of an achievement, is it? ;)

Where as learning to shoot and lead your targets can be applied to all shooting games and fighting games, overall "bow-spamming" is a legit tactic and is a lot more advanced than sword-spamming.

1ix July 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM UTC

Imo the maps are really bad, staff aren't that good, and there are too many gamemodes. To the people saying the gamemodes are stale some are but dtm isn't, its the maps which make DTM stale. Almost every map I have played is just a few lanes with monuments on islands which leads to gameplay being the same.
Maps arent bad, staff are, mehhhhhhhh, and there is too many game modes people dont play, thats true, but DTM being the same is the whole point man, breaking a monument is so satisfying that u want to break more. ;p

papagoogs July 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM UTC

pros:

majority of the community is good
nice people
lag
alot of people speak english, which is good for the english players 

cons: 
a few toxic members
cheaters that can't actually play the game properly.
goes down at times, triggers me.

Zegita July 21, 2016 at 7:07 AM UTC

fun small community everyone knows each other pretty much.

shaarpie July 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

it's cool

Seuthy July 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM UTC

good competitive bad public ok staff full stop

Sevoo July 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM UTC

I mean the type of bowspamming where people never get our of their team's spawn and never even scroll to their sword. The other kinds are pretty annoying as well but I've learned to cope with them, but that kind is literally impossible to counter unless you have god aim with a bow. And usually you can't even shoot back because most of the other team is trying to kill you.

Anyways, can we get back on topic?

Phjilip July 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

Nice server

Indicado July 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

the biggest shit i ever have seen, some staff is corrupt af and more