Avicus Archive

Help with PCs by Sevoo April 25, 2015 at 9:04 PM UTC

I need a new PC. Can anyone tell me how many FPS this gives me in 1.7 and 1.8?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-17-3-laptop-amd-quad-core-a10-4655m-apu-750gb...

Pavlo April 25, 2015 at 9:04 PM UTC

umm, like 40-50 fps max, on low settings. That laptop has a very, very weak processor. If I were you, I'd use the sam amount of money and buy a desktop PC. You'll get heaps more performance for the price.

Sevoo April 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM UTC

That's an AMD quad core a10, how can that give me 50 FPS? Lol

Hete April 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM UTC

umm, like 40-50 fps max, on low settings. That laptop has a very, very weak processor. If I were you, I'd use the sam amount of money and buy a desktop PC. You'll get heaps more performance for the price.
That'll definitely give more then 40~50 fps on lowest settings..

Loo April 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM UTC

ItzSevo I highly suggest building your own PC, mine is custom built and I get 150-300FPS on highest settings (Render distance 12) and it was about $500.

I can help you if you need.

Hete April 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM UTC

Just a estimation.

My computer has a simular, but worse specs right now.

The GPU in that laptop is a HD 7620G, which is better then mine the HD 5450.

My framerates ingame are 120~150 fps in mid low settings, and an average of 60~80 on normal.

Im gonna assume that you will get slightly better FPS then me, since some of the aspects are better then my specs.

Edit: And yes, as Alien stated, if you don't have a specific reason to use a laptop, I would suggest building your own desktop PC.

Pavlo April 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM UTC

Just a estimation.

My computer has a simular, but worse specs right now.

The GPU in that laptop is a HD 7620G, which is better then mine the HD 5450.

My framerates ingame are 120~150 fps in mid low settings, and an average of 60~80 on normal.

Im gonna assume that you will get slightly better FPS then me, since some of the aspects are better then my specs.

Edit: And yes, as Alien stated, if you don't have a specific reason to use a laptop, I would suggest building your own desktop PC.

Minecraft is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive game (unless using shaders), and the CPU in that laptop is pretty darned bad. In fact, that cpu is worse than a core 2 duo in the 7 year old desktop that my parents use. Because a cpu is quad core doesn't necessarily mean its good (usually it does, but not always). I doubt sev will get much more fps than 50, and overtime, as the computer gets filled up with programs the fps will decrease a lot.

Bulding a custom desktop, or even buying a desktop will give much, much better performance.

Loo April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

The number of cores doesn't mean much, AMD likes to put a lot of cores in their CPUs so that people will buy them but what they don't tell you is that the cores are very weak. An Intel i5 4460 (quad core) will beat an AMD FX8350 (octa core) by a lot.

Atdit April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

You can't even start minecraft with this amd crap.

Hete April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Minecraft is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive game (unless using shaders), and the CPU in that laptop is pretty darned bad. In fact, that cpu is worse than a core 2 duo in the 7 year old desktop that my parents use. Because a cpu is quad core doesn't necessarily mean its good (usually it does, but not always). I doubt sev will get much more fps than 50, and overtime, as the computer gets filled up with programs the fps will decrease a lot.

Bulding a custom desktop, or even buying a desktop will give much, much better performance.
Then I could be wrong, but then please explain how my computer went from 10~30 fps to 120~150 in lowest settings when I changed the Intergrated Graphics to an HD 5450, really don't understand how that works when I only changed my GPU to a entry level one

Pavlo April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

The number of cores doesn't mean much, AMD likes to put a lot of cores in their CPUs so that people will buy them but what they don't tell you is that the cores are very weak. An Intel i5 4460 (quad core) will beat an AMD FX8350 (octa core) by a lot.
Yeah, exactly what I was trying to say, but in less words.

Pavlo April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Then I could be wrong, but then please explain how my computer went from 10~30 fps to 120~150 in lowest settings when I changed the Intergrated Graphics to an HD 5450, really don't understand how that works when I only changed my GPU to a entry level one
Because your integrated graphics must have been very, very bad. E.g I could run minecraft on 70 fps on HD 4000 (intergrated), then on maybe 75 fps with a Radeon r7 240, and only 80 fps with a GTX 750. You do need an average GPU to run minecraft, but a cpu will affect performance more than the gpu.

Hete April 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Because your integrated graphics must have been very, very bad. E.g I could run minecraft on 70 fps on HD 4000 (intergrated), then on maybe 75 fps with a Radeon r7 240, and only 80 fps with a GTX 750. You do need an average GPU to run minecraft, but a cpu will affect performance more than the gpu.

The intergrated graphics is the Intel HD 4000, That gave me 10~20 fps, then the Radeon HD5450 (Which is much worse then the r7 240) gave me close to 10x FPS..

I get that the CPU affects the performance of Minecraft, but im saying that in some occasions, the GPU might be needed as well.

For example, the CPU with the computer Sevo picked out is close to equivalent to mine. And seeing that it has a better GPU then me as well, it's gonna run way better then 40~50 fps.

And yes, I know that a Custom Build or just a Desktop PC will be way more efficent, but I'm just replying to the OP's question.

Loo April 26, 2015 at 12:04 AM UTC

GPU does matter, a lot, however, just because the GPU on that laptop is a higher number than yours, doesn't mean it's better. GPUs on laptops are worse than their desktop counterparts even if they're the same model.

Sevoo April 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM UTC

I can't build my own PC, since my parents don't let me, and portability is a must for me since my PC is for homework more then gaming, even though I'm still gonna have  games on it, so I need it to get good FPS.

@Pavs GPU counts a lot more than CPU in 1.8

Hete April 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM UTC

GPU does matter, a lot, however, just because the GPU on that laptop is a higher number than yours, doesn't mean it's better. GPUs on laptops are worse than their desktop counterparts even if they're the same model.
Of course I know that just because the numbers are higher, doesn't mean it's a better GPU :p 

My graphics card isn't even for gaming, just a entry level GPU, meanwhile the HD 7620g is a more significantly better card for gaming then the HD 5450.

Loo April 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM UTC

I can't build my own PC, since my parents don't let me, and portability is a must for me since my PC is for homework more then gaming, even though I'm still gonna have  games on it, so I need it to get good FPS.

@Pavs GPU counts a lot more than CPU in 1.8
Is there a possibility that you can get a desktop and use your current laptop for homework? Or do you not have a laptop as of now?

All laptops are going to have integrated graphics which are pretty bad, and the more the game is updated, the less FPS you're gonna get everytime. If you absolutely must get a laptop, then go for the one you linked since AMD has way better integrated graphics than Intel.

ViolentBoo April 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM UTC

Yep, you're right. Sure it is a quad core, and I had experience with that processor, and I would get a smooth frame rate for a while but it doesn't really last for a long time. Garbage collection that naturally happens on a computer really saps frame rates. Not only that, laptops at that price point tend to have very low memory speeds, usually around 1333mhz. And when using an APU higher speeds gives you more fps. But anyway, it's alright, but you're better off just building your own computer, or saving up a bit more.

Sevoo April 26, 2015 at 4:04 PM UTC

I can only get a laptop, no desktop.

Thanks tho, this helped a lot.

Pavlo April 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM UTC

Okay, so I looked a bit on that wesbite, and found 2 laptops that could work nicely (around the same price)
Unfortunately both of them have intergrated graphics, however, the they have better benchmark scores than the gpu in the laptop you were looking at.

The first laptop: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-acer-aspire-e-15-6-laptop-iron-intel-ci5-5200u-1tb-hdd-8gb-...
This has a decent i5, much better than the AMD cpu in the other laptop, 8gb's of ram (sadly at 1066mhz)And 

And the second : http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-dell-inspiron-5447-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-silver-intel-cor... This one is quite similar, also with a decent i5, 8gbs of ram (at 1600mhz - much better), however the graphics are marginally worse. However it is a very small difference.

Both these laptops are much better performance for the price and you will get better results

Sevoo April 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Ok.

voidloop April 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Ok.
Thanks is a thing

Sevoo April 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Thanks is a thing
Lol, Im sorry. xP

Thanks guys (Pavs ze most)

voidloop April 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM UTC

Lol, Im sorry. xP

Thanks guys (Pavs ze most)
xDD

_Phyre April 27, 2015 at 1:04 AM UTC

Sevo... Build a PC

1) Its not hard
2) You will get 10x the performance
3) you get to choose the OS
4) Comes without bloatware

Hete April 27, 2015 at 2:04 AM UTC

Sevo, it's just a good idea to buy the Laptop you choose out if you can't get a desktop.

Trust me, you'll get way more then 40~50 fps

Pavlo April 27, 2015 at 3:04 AM UTC

Sevo... Build a PC

1) Its not hard
2) You will get 10x the performance
3) you get to choose the OS
4) Comes without bloatware

He wants to, but he needs a laptop for shoolwork