Avicus Archive

Another Earth, Kepler 483b by OriginaI July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

So...Today, NASA has announced a "Earth 2.0"!
I for one am really excited to see what this planet has to hold.
The Kepler 483b has been revealed as the most similar to our planet.

Info
It’s about half the size of our sun and it’s about 2,000 degrees cooler than our own sun.      

If
 a human were to theoretically stand on the surface Kepler-438b, a viewer would see a spectacular light show in the sky because of the intensity of the planet’s star.

Though building a life in the “sweet spot” between the dark side and light side might be a human’s best bet, it seems that Kepler-438b is no home-sweet-home.

Both are at a distance from their stars that would allow liquid water.

There are more than one Kepler planets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please post any info or questions I have not listed, just wanted to inform you guys!

Pictures

Precise_ July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

ALiens confumed?

killerbye22 July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

Kepler-438B is the most earth like planet we have ever found, it has a score of 0.88 on the earth similarty index. (1 is identical to earth in every way and 0 being nothing like earth. 
It was discovered in Januari 2015.

It is 470 light years away thought. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KZ1kvIUFrU (Number 10 is Kepler-438B)

Emmaye July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

I am scared

Dyspa July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

i wonder if there are any good pvpers out there!!!!!!!

(∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆゚(∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆゚

ProfessorUtonium July 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM UTC

i wonder if there are any good pvpers out there!!!!!!!

(∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆゚(∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆゚

They probably get better ping to avicus than we do 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

OriginaI July 24, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

I am scared
Yes it is a scary thing to think about, but I love learning about it.
From what I've read, this planet if it has any lifeforms on it.
They will be small, tiny little cells, but... It's a start!
It's how the earth started! ( if you look at it from a scientific view)

@killerbye thanks for the info!
I will add it!

Subscriptor July 24, 2015 at 6:07 AM UTC

I am scared
i am scared too

ImRaging July 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

meh, i'll be dead before Earth dies...

AstroPizza July 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

meh, i'll be dead before Earth dies...
Well earth will certainly be on track if we don't change. Besides Oxford University did a study and there's a 19% chance that humanity will die within the century :D I'm very positive no need to tell me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk

ImRaging July 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

Well earth will certainly be on track if we don't change. Besides Oxford University did a study and there's a 19% chance that humanity will die within the century :D I'm very positive no need to tell me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk
wowowwow u mek me cri

Zintenka July 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

Before we even think about traveling to another planet that has the possibility of holding creatures similar to us.

We have to patch things up here on Earth.

FrozenSolstice July 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM UTC

Why does everyone immediately think "aliens?"

And why does everyone think of evil beings at the mention of aliens?

If there were other life forms away from Earth, they could be like us. They might not be bad, they might just have the same reaction to 'aliens' as we do. We could be the aliens.

Petlas July 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM UTC

If there were other life forms away from Earth, they could be like us. They might not be bad, they might just have the same reaction to 'aliens' as we do. We could be the aliens.
That could mean alternate universes.

Which means two FrozenSolstices.

Oh God.

Spoookeh July 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM UTC

^^^
'Aliens' is the official word for beings that are 'out of this world'. We are as much aliens to other life forms as they are aliens to us.

I also think that this find is amazing, I'm really into space travel and hope that this is one key to finding other life forms out of this world.

kycrafft July 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM UTC

Oh God.
Spooky Scary Skeletons Send Solstices down your Spine.

Numberz_ July 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM UTC

Oh God.
And two snowlas.

OriginaI July 24, 2015 at 6:07 PM UTC

^^^
'Aliens' is the official word for beings that are 'out of this world'. We are as much aliens to other life forms as they are aliens to us.

I also think that this find is amazing, I'm really into space travel and hope that this is one key to finding other life forms out of this world.
Same :)

FrozenSolstice July 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM UTC

Oh God.
You know you want two of me.

>:3

OriginaI July 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM UTC

True, true...
We will never know until we actually talk or even see them

Ogrey July 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

Another planet for humans to destroy, nise...
Seriously though, people all around the world should start taking care of the planet more if we don't want to lose it quicker.

kycrafft July 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

You know you want two of me.

>:3
Then we could have a Frozenlas aslo, assuming there is another Petlas.

OriginaI July 25, 2015 at 1:07 AM UTC

Another planet for humans to destroy, nise...
Seriously though, people all around the world should start taking care of the planet more if we don't want to lose it quicker.
I totally agree.

_Phyre July 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

How far away is it?
And if we do get there, I have no doubt that there is going to be some sort of alien life form. I just hope if there are, their intelligence is going to be below our's. If its not, and they're way more developed, they can possibly track down the disturbance (If we cause any) and wipe us out in an instant. But. Lets say that didn't happen.

How would we get there? (Since we have no information as how far away it is ; Lets say it is), It would take years! Light years!... I mean damn, we found a black hole in the center of our universe that's I think about 5-100K light years Idk.

EDIT: Just found some info, Kepler 186f is about 500 light years away. So... Light travels at "670,616,629" MPH, Our technologies can push us about 40,000 MPH. Meaning that it would take around 18-19 Thousand years to travel one light year. Multiply that by 500, you get somewhere in the 8-9 million year range. You can find this information here: http://gyazo.com/7b23915dded3bb5552157c6b1c352adf

Now my honest opinion. I don't think we would destroy this planet. I assume our technologies are going to be advanced and efficient enough to not pollute the air (If there is an atmosphere), because there is no way we could EVER travel that far in a humans life span (80ish years). But later on, we mostly likely could.
(Sorry If I did make any errors, I'm not bothering to look over this, am going to sleep, bi bi)

Aliens (to us) is basically an unknown life form.

FrozenSolstice July 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

How far away is it?
And if we do get there, I have no doubt that there is going to be some sort of alien life form. I just hope if there are, their intelligence is going to be below our's. If its not, and they're way more developed, they can possibly track down the disturbance (If we cause any) and wipe us out in an instant. But. Lets say that didn't happen.

How would we get there? (Since we have no information as how far away it is ; Lets say it is), It would take years! Light years!... I mean damn, we found a black hole in the center of our universe that's I think about 5-100K light years Idk.

EDIT: Just found some info, Kepler 186f is about 500 light years away. So... Light travels at "670,616,629" MPH, Our technologies can push us about 40,000 MPH. Meaning that it would take around 18-19 Thousand years to travel one light year. Multiply that by 500, you get somewhere in the 8-9 million year range. You can find this information here: http://gyazo.com/7b23915dded3bb5552157c6b1c352adf

Now my honest opinion. I don't think we would destroy this planet. I assume our technologies are going to be advanced and efficient enough to not pollute the air (If there is an atmosphere), because there is no way we could EVER travel that far in a humans life span (80ish years). But later on, we mostly likely could.
(Sorry If I did make any errors, I'm not bothering to look over this, am going to sleep, bi bi)
How about we just focus on trying to keep Earth stable first.

I don't want to randomly kill some planet like we've done with Earth.

How about we just focus on trying to keep Earth stable first.

I don't want to randomly kill some planet like we've done with Earth.
Its merely impossible to fix the earth of what damage we have done to it. Some chances, but not a lot. Most people don't have the brains to do so...

Its merely impossible to fix the earth of what damage we have done to it. Some chances, but not a lot. Most people don't have the brains to do so...
I know that. But holding back a bit surely would delay the inevitable.

Zintenka July 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

How far away is it?

We're getting closer to FTL technology. Some guy made a propulsion system out of microwaves that could jettison us to Proxima Centauri (Nearest star system) in approx. 30 years. Proxima is approximately 1 or so light years away/

We're getting closer to FTL technology. Some guy made a propulsion system out of microwaves that could jettison us to Proxima Centauri (Nearest star system) in approx. 30 years. Proxima is approximately 1 or so light years away/
That's still not enough to actually get to a planet. But with this information, I would say 50 years to perfect this design, and I think this will be well on its way! :D

I know that. But holding back a bit surely would delay the inevitable.
A bit, wont do anything. Oil companies and Nuclear facilities won't stop, everyone is so hung up on money that if they stop / slow down the process, they will become broke and eventually have to give the land area up. Not to mention we rely on that every day? Us normal humans can't do anything about it. If we protest, it will be ignored and we can simply ruin our life that way...

Sevoo July 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

If were lucky, and I mean REALLY lucky, maybe we could get there in about 20000 years, cuz maybe our technology will be good enough. O wait pollution...

BoldAndBrash July 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM UTC

If were lucky, and I mean REALLY lucky, maybe we could get there in about 20000 years, cuz maybe our technology will be good enough. O wait pollution...

What does pollution have to do with technology? xd

A bit, wont do anything. Oil companies and Nuclear facilities won't stop, everyone is so hung up on money that if they stop / slow down the process, they will become broke and eventually have to give the land area up. Not to mention we rely on that every day? Us normal humans can't do anything about it. If we protest, it will be ignored and we can simply ruin our life that way...
I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Screw Tony Abbott.

We're still good for around 100 or so years. Technology is growing fast. I mean we went from "Charles Babbage" (Which Should be one of the first computers) that took up a whole room, and can do only a couple thousand processes per second. To Micro processors that fit in out pockets that do 10000X as much, meaning millions of calculations per second. And it all fits in out phone. Actually, It would take around 10,000 Charles Babbage Machines to be even compete with our phones. Not to mention that will take up a land area of a whole CITY! And all of that was done within 30-50 years...

_Phyre July 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM UTC

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Screw Tony Abbott.
Skimming through an article about him, he is the Prime-Minister of Australia, who held that position since 2013, He is a mix between British and Australia. And has 3 children xD. What's so bad about him?

FrozenSolstice July 25, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Skimming through an article about him, he is the Prime-Minister of Australia, who held that position since 2013, He is a mix between British and Australia. And has 3 children xD. What's so bad about him?
You obviously missed every bad thing about him.

He's cutting pensions to the elderly and disabled.

He's taken away funding for education.

He takes money from hospitals.

He makes it difficult for people to retire because he's taxing the pension, therefore people must work longer to get the money.

He spends 75,000 on military things instead of Australia's needs.

If a soldier dies, his reaction is "shit happens."

He is sexist.

He is- I'm going to stop because my blood pressure is going through the roof.

You get the jist though.

OriginaI July 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM UTC

Interesting, thanks guys.

kycrafft July 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM UTC

We're still good for around 100 or so years. Technology is growing fast. I mean we went from "Charles Babbage" (Which Should be one of the first computers) that took up a whole room, and can do only a couple thousand processes per second. To Micro processors that fit in out pockets that do 10000X as much, meaning millions of calculations per second. And it all fits in out phone. Actually, It would take around 10,000 Charles Babbage Machines to be even compete with our phones. Not to mention that will take up a land area of a whole CITY! And all of that was done within 30-50 years...
We're not good for the next 100 years. We'll be lucky if our supply of oil lasts for more than 60-70 years. Plus things like global warming, overpopulation, lack of food and clean water for some countries, deforestation, and killing off species will only have their effects amplified by time. As resources and land run out, countries may also turn to war to solve their problems. Unless we can fix something fast, it's not looking good.

Spoookeh July 25, 2015 at 2:07 PM UTC

How far away is it?

That's the wrong one. 'Earth 2.0' is Kepler483b, 1400 light years away.

_Phyre July 25, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

That's the wrong one. 'Earth 2.0' is Kepler483b, 1400 light years away.
NVM, you're right :P