Avicus Archive

PSA: Do background checks on players by gobernment June 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM UTC

I know this has been said before, but it only comes around when a regular on the server is banned for cheating. To prevent this, I highly encourage people to use common sense and see previous rulebreaking patterns on other servers, so that your team does not get a poor reputation, or is blacklisted from an event.

There are some ways to do background checks on your players. I would recommend looking up your member's username in Google, and putting "appeal" before or after the username. Some servers have public appeals or mentions on forums, and you can hear how they responded to their ban. I'd also check other competitive servers like OCN, Badlion, Kohi, and Kratous to see their punishment history. If they are willing to hack on those servers, then it's worth questioning whether or not they will do it here. I had this problem on Avalanche and other users: I'd do these checks, and it helped me weed out bad players by focusing on them more.

Also, before you accept a member, be sure to ask about their history. Anything that can be a precaution, I recommend looking. One more thing that I've seen is looking at their previous YouTube videos to see for any suspicious activity: if they combo someone 30 times and the person they're fighting can't get out of the air, or their click speed is consistent or wacky, you should look for little 'ticks' in their fighting behavior.

Sevoo June 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM UTC

Backround checks can be false.

I have been banned on OCN and Badlion, but I don't hack.

Crazy_ June 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM UTC

Backround checks can be false.

I have been banned on OCN and Badlion, but I don't hack.
If a punishment for hacking was appealed, people tend to realize that the punishment probably wasn't true

Sevoo June 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM UTC

If a punishment for hacking was appealed, people tend to realize that the punishment probably wasn't true
Fuck I can be stupid XD

ImNotYourTiger June 22, 2016 at 1:06 AM UTC

Your taking this a bit too seriously for a minecraft game

joelous June 22, 2016 at 4:06 AM UTC

Yup, agreed. Other servers have different ways of approaching punishments so it's unreliable. If you were recruiting staff this would be essential, but not for a (somewhat) public event...

flyofff June 22, 2016 at 4:06 AM UTC

Actually it can find who's hacking easily. But If there would be better staff members this problem would already be solved.

DonaldMyTrump June 22, 2016 at 5:06 AM UTC

k so

Mehrp June 22, 2016 at 5:06 AM UTC

Doing background checks in the way you described, by putting higher concern on some players who've been banned before, that's definitely appropriate. Taking background checks way out of proportion from that would be ridiculous (e.g making a background check  a factor that gets them banned) Background checks shouldn't be used when decided whether to ban people, it should be used to decide who to specifically target and watch closely when many people are being suspicious. At the end of the day, other servers aren't avicus and if people want to hack on other servers and not avicus then they're not breaking any rules (unless they're a staff member because somewhere in the policies there was something hazey about maintaining a good rep or something-ignore this if it's been changed-intentionally vague about policies because I don't want to get punished). 

And as people say, background checks can be false/unreliable. Other than that seems great.

ImRaging June 22, 2016 at 6:06 AM UTC

he's just sayingg that if you dont want to get blacklisted in a tournament then he advises you do background checks...

hasl June 22, 2016 at 6:06 AM UTC

Talking about background checks, Ingigo was banned on Badlion Judgement Day 7 and was not the evidence for his ban, but may have swayed a few people to believe he might've been hacking.

Same with Max (Bloodoh).

Legoche June 22, 2016 at 6:06 AM UTC

I keep a close eye on my team and regularly do these checks.

Indicado June 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM UTC

I do them every day LOOOL

Xuph June 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM UTC

i do not want people background checking me because i do not wish to get permanently banned for hacks

Sevoo June 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM UTC

i do not want people background checking me because i do not wish to get permanently banned for hacks
LOL

steven5703 July 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM UTC

This actually is not really the best of ideas, considering Background checks can be false. On top of that if a user was banned for hacks, for example on lets say OCN but they really liked Destroy, so they came on Avicus to have a fresh start, wouldn't it be a bit unfair to them just to not give them a chance to make things right. There for I disagree with any of this, because you should be given multiple chances and besides if you are really concerned about the wrongs and rights of players you won't have anyone in your team, everyone makes mistakes and we all admit we've done it more than once so there for I disagree with this feature.

Thanks,
Tiger
This isnt a feature this is something enforced by team leaders.