Avicus Archive

Map exploitations by Puysegur January 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM UTC

So I was playing Clay Wars and for those of you who are curious, you may have found there is a village suspended far behind spawn. I've noticed on a lot of maps the outside has not been completely erased. I then make it my mission to get there and take advantage of it. 

Anyway, while playing Clay Wars, I was kicked from the server because I was "abusing glitches" or something? I can't remember to be honest. And I'm not mad, don't get me wrong, I understand why I was. But I just feel that if its there, and a part of the map, the user should be able to utilize it if they so wish. I'm not entirely sure what I think. Basically I'll probably keep doing it because it's interesting and adds a new dynamic. What are you peoples opinions? Are there rules I am not aware of if there are any? And should people be allowed to use this to their advantage?

Edit: I just went back into the game and saw heaps of people making a rush to the village and people getting tempbanned pahaha. I'm sorry

MasterProX January 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM UTC

Sure, that residual village is there and thus technically "a part of the map", but the point is that it wasn't deliberately intended. Indeed, lots of maps were improperly built too close to natural terrain in a world that isn't entirely void; however, that doesn't mean you're allowed to insensibly access these areas and, for instance, pillage it for normally unobtainable resources. This may also be one of the reasons why some people suggest that mapmakers add build limits to their maps to prevent people from bridging too far out.

Basically, just exercise a bit of common sense — if it doesn't look like the builder(s) meant for it to be part of the map, or if it's hundreds of blocks from the main area of the map itself (I believe these both apply to your example), then don't mess with it. Otherwise, that's exploiting a design error — abusing a glitch — which is irrefutably a punishable offence, not to mention the horrendous lag that often results from loading these extra chunks...

Thrasillias January 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM UTC

You may NOT Build on Clay wars to the villageThats Glitch abuse

MLGtino January 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM UTC

My guess that the reason for this is that Matic had built this map in single player using the superflat void generator and didn't turn off structures.

However, I'd much rather the staff (more or less the MapDevs) reported the problems and fixed them rather than giving punishments. I'm not just pointing it at the staff either. GitHub is there for a good reason...

Puysegur January 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM UTC

I don't understand how it is a glitch though, I don't think these areas should be classified as glitches. They are areas of the map that exist, whether intentional or not. But yes I would say it is a design error. And I agree, the problem should be fixed instead of just dishing out punishments. But thank you for clearing it up, I wasn't sure about the situation about these things

MerlinMaster January 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM UTC

When you make a map with Multi-verse, the map is glitched in the uploading process. To where the server is trying to upload a regular world so, when it finds the actual map the world makes itself void for a certain radius. 
(If that makes any sense. I'm pretty sure whats how it works because it does that on all the maps on the uploading process.)
And no, I don't believe you should have been punished with a kick. Maybe a in chat warning by a moderator to stay in the boundaries of the map.

ViceTechnicolour January 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM UTC

Sure, that residual village is there and thus technically "a part of the map", but the point is that it wasn't deliberately intended. Indeed, lots of maps were improperly built too close to natural terrain in a world that isn't entirely void; however, that doesn't mean you're allowed to insensibly access these areas and, for instance, pillage it for normally unobtainable resources. This may also be one of the reasons why some people suggest that mapmakers add build limits to their maps to prevent people from bridging too far out.

Basically, just exercise a bit of common sense — if it doesn't look like the builder(s) meant for it to be part of the map, or if it's hundreds of blocks from the main area of the map itself (I believe these both apply to your example), then don't mess with it. Otherwise, that's exploiting a design error — abusing a glitch — which is irrefutably a punishable offence, not to mention the horrendous lag that often results from loading these extra chunks...
Amazing answer.

Anyway, we have solutions for this issue @OP. Not sure when we'll start exploring into fixing them, but it's on our list.

Rainstruck January 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM UTC

I'm going to agree with what most people are saying, and that is just leave it be. If it ain't broke don't mess with it. Just play the map normally and be able to make sure that you don't abuse using glitches or hacks.

potatoarmor January 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM UTC

I'm part of the "if it is there, you can use it" camp.

If there is a village and the developers don't want you to use it, they should set up some restriction that prevents you from going there.  To be kicked or banned for going to a point on a map is ludicrous in my opinion.

S3M3L January 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM UTC

https://github.com/Avicus/Issues/issues/331  :)

CakeDoesMC January 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM UTC

Welp I guess I didn't understand exactly what was meant by map exploitations...
I thought you meant how you could mine out obby on infernus and cover your monument with it...
http://gyazo.com/5e2e030babbacd8403a180511b9d2969
The guy mined out the wrong piece of obsidian TWICE xD

S3M3L January 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM UTC

Welp I guess I didn't understand exactly what was meant by map exploitations...
I thought you meant how you could mine out obby on infernus and cover your monument with it...
http://gyazo.com/5e2e030babbacd8403a180511b9d2969
The guy mined out the wrong piece of obsidian TWICE xD
You are allowed to mine out the monument platform and create your own defence, as in your picture with the obsidian. I would say, covering the monument with even more obsidian is smart. Some maps (maybe even all) have a survival world if you bridge out many many blocks, as seen on my picture below.

http://i.imgur.com/EBl4bHj.png

You are not allowed though to use it in your advantage, if you look at my picture below, suddenly, there is TNT on Frostbite? xD

http://i.imgur.com/lI6JHZJ.png

ProfessorUtonium January 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM UTC

I'm part of the "if it is there, you can use it" camp.

If there is a village and the developers don't want you to use it, they should set up some restriction that prevents you from going there.  To be kicked or banned for going to a point on a map is ludicrous in my opinion.
How would mapdevs find each village 500-400000 blocks away?