Avicus Archive

Why aren't maps open to the public? by Doppelganger_ May 28, 2014 at 7:05 AM UTC

I believe that maps in the should be open to the public as they would allow people to scrim on Avicus maps such as Senex etc. As since the server rotations are massive(thanks staff!) you only play maps like Luar and Senex once every so often.

Pros
Cons
I can't think of any. 

P.S I made this thread because I wanted to write XML for these maps that teams could use in conjunction to SporkPGM to scrim on thanks!

Open to discussion

The_Detonator_ May 28, 2014 at 7:05 AM UTC

Well, it would make the maps much easier to steal.

Doppelganger_ May 28, 2014 at 7:05 AM UTC

I suppose that is true, but the community is growing quite big and someone would eventually find the culprit

It's not about finding the culprit. It's about the ease of it happening.

It's not about finding the culprit. It's about the ease of it happening.
Ok, lets say someone did steal the map what would they do with it?

Use it on their own servers. Has happened before. If the map maker wants their map publicly available, they may feel free, but it will not happen without their explicit permission.

Urgh ok fair point. but I really want to scrim on avicus maps

_Avy May 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM UTC

Use it on their own servers. Has happened before. If the map maker wants their map publicly available, they may feel free, but it will not happen without their explicit permission.
So will you guys let us seek out the makers of the maps and then from there (if they let us) can we download? 

Doppelganger_ May 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM UTC

So will you guys let us seek out the makers of the maps and then from there (if they let us) can we download? 
Yes. If the map makers give our permission we can use it.

Riskayyy May 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM UTC

Maybe there could be scrim servers, which would include Avicus maps...

_DC May 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM UTC

Maybe there could be scrim servers, which would include Avicus maps...
That would be difficult to handle having rosters to who was scrimming who on a scrim server. As well as white-listing them so ONLY the teams can join in the scrim. It is a bit too obtuse and bloated for what someone could set up in 10 minutes?

PsychoStoner May 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM UTC

I agree with jozz.

The maps aren't open to the public because the public can steel maps and post the maps on other servers. There was this one time here in Avicus that these players ( I forgot who they where)  but they stole the old Avicus lobby and I think they also stole some maps from this server and where trying to start there own server. 

Doppelganger_ May 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM UTC

Yeah im going with Detontators idea and trying to contact para penguin to ask for permission

dodgerXyz May 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM UTC

Yeah im going with Detontators idea and trying to contact para penguin to ask for permission
That is the best way to go, so that you don't get in trouble. 

Dyspa May 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM UTC

Scrim Servers would be good for training, and even more if they have Avicus maps, you should make a server for Scrims like the one from oc.tc.. :D

Doppelganger_ May 29, 2014 at 3:05 AM UTC

Scrim Servers would be good for training, and even more if they have Avicus maps, you should make a server for Scrims like the one from oc.tc.. :D
Its bloated and too complicated as someone can set up a server in like 30 mins

ImJeezus May 29, 2014 at 4:05 AM UTC

Most OCN maps are on OCN forums.
Almost no one has stolen them.

Doppelganger_ May 29, 2014 at 7:05 AM UTC

What I was thinking....

The_Detonator_ May 29, 2014 at 8:05 AM UTC

I've stated that most of the maps would be available on the archived forum which will be available soon. And our maps have been stolen on multiple separate occasions.

build_high May 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM UTC

Lupus can easily build a senex for a scrim server if that's what you want :p