Avicus Archive

How should I begin coding? by BourbonBonobo November 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

Who here knows how to code? Iv'e been really interested in learning how to code lately and I have been wondering how you guys learned how. Do you have to take some sort of class/tutorial to start off or did you guys just do it on your own (learn yourself)? I'd like some replies if u guys kinda get what i'm trying to ask.. 

Thanks and see you guys later :P

P.S: is this the right topic? avicus lounge...?

badgg November 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

Codeacademy
Want to learn YAML?
Grok Learning
Just search up YouTube videos too. 

These resources listed above helped me learn about coding.

MidnightBeats November 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

Start off coding nice and simple. 
As fluey said, watch some videos and look up some beginner tutorials.

You wanna start off easy, with basic YAML, etc. 

Also, ask any of your friends or the staff if you need any help. I know a few of the staff here are good at coding ;)

good luck!

Arigenn November 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

Join the cryptographers :3

ballzi November 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM UTC

Start off with HTML.

Slvrflash November 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM UTC

w3schools might help you out. It has some nice practice exercises and such. As BALLZI said, start out with html and css.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

JKawesome November 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM UTC

I started out with HTML on w3schools.com. It's a great site, and has lots of useful resources, tutorials, and demos.

_DC November 18, 2014 at 12:11 PM UTC

If you're not sure which language to pick, here are a few of my favourite languages, with tutorials that anyone can follow:

Processing. Processing is a great open-source java based language. You should find it a ton easier to learn Java if you first learn Processing. There are some great resources on the forum, of which I am an active member.

Python. Python is a great language to start on. It is pretty powerful, being able to crunch through massive data sets in barely any time. An unfortunate downside to Python is that it doesn't really lead to any other languages too directly.

Web-Based languages: It's a great idea to learn the HTML, CSS, JS & PHP combination. As others have said, w3schools is one of the best references for these languages.

_Phyre November 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM UTC

Start with either JS or C++, Pretty much any language is C++ oriented and if you learn it you may pick up other languages such as JS and Python Better.

I would suggest either:
www.codeacademy.com
or
www.code.org
;)

ViceTechnicolour November 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM UTC

I recommend to check out bentobox as well.

Spartemex November 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM UTC

Definitely check out codeacademy.

JKawesome November 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM UTC

Or you could start off with Whitespace or LolCode.

BourbonBonobo November 19, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

Thank you guys so much!! I'm glad all off you know so much! Oh Fluenza_,  I would like to learn YAML! I've been interested in map making for a long time. YAML deals with map making correct? 

-Peace

JKawesome November 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM UTC

Thank you guys so much!! I'm glad all off you know so much! Oh Fluenza_,  I would like to learn YAML! I've been interested in map making for a long time. YAML deals with map making correct? 

-Peace
Yes, Avicus maps use YML. It's actually really easy to learn, since the syntax is basically just a list with more lists nest d into that list.

BourbonBonobo November 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM UTC

Im using the code academy! I have an account. What type of code should i learn as a beginner?

Arigenn November 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM UTC

Im using the code academy! I have an account. What type of code should i learn as a beginner?
Try an HTML & CSS coarse. They were my first languages :3

Eklip_Z November 20, 2014 at 3:11 AM UTC

Yeah, HTML & CSS would be the best start. Then Javascript and then Java if you're willing to code Minecraft plugins.

BourbonBonobo November 20, 2014 at 6:11 AM UTC

thanks!

_Stormz November 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM UTC

When I started coding, I used HTML Dog.
http://www.htmldog.com/
I find this one of the best websites out there to learn HTML and CSS.

Ratchi November 21, 2014 at 2:11 AM UTC

I recommend codeacademy it is AMAZING.
Anyway good luck on coding :)