Avicus Archive

Quick Question by Zycn October 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM UTC

Hello, 
  I was just wondering, are you allowed to cover your monument with wood so it makes it harder for enemies to get to it? Or would that be considered an infraction? 
This person clearly wasn't thinking, we had a iron axe that could quickly break the wood.
Thx for the help!

build_high October 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM UTC

You may although it is a bad idea strategically. This can pnly be an infraction if ruins a pre-existing defence

Myv October 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM UTC

Why don't people understand that putting wood around a monument is the most stupid Minecraft tactic that anyone has ever invented?

Zycn October 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM UTC

Okay Thx for the help, it is a stupid tactic though, ppl can hide inside the wood while destroying the monument

S3M3L October 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM UTC

If you already made your defences and someone in your team comes along and places wood everywhere or removes yours to put their own, it's griefing and should be reported.

Arigenn October 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM UTC

Its considered an infraction if you remove a defense system that was already in place. In my opinion this is not a very strategic way of defending a monument, as an enemy can mine it from below or above without you noticing.

Pelpelajax October 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM UTC

It is considered illegal when it turns into Team Griefing. So when you "destroy" someone else's defence it becomes illegal.

JKawesome October 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM UTC

It's generally a bad tactic, but covering with wood is basically the only way to defend on a map like Dust Devils OiTN, since if you don't, it's pretty much instant break.

ballzi October 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM UTC

Covering the moneument isn't the greatest of decision. It acts as a hiding spot for the opposition. When ever i see this is makes my blood boil. Try to make a defense where the monuement is visible at all times.

Stimulating October 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM UTC

Not an infraction. It's a great idea ;) *coughcoughdefinatelynotarushercoughcough*

Zycn October 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM UTC

Yes, I am not much of a rusher, although sometimes I like to try and break enemy monuments

cinammoncroc000 October 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM UTC

You can cover the monument in wood.

But.
I highly suggest you don't. Here are my reasons:
In short:
You can cover the monument if you want.
But I highly recommend you don't.

Hope this helps! ^-^

jojobloblo October 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM UTC

You can cover the monument in wood.

But.
I highly suggest you don't. Here are my reasons:
  • For most maps, it's a bad strategy. The enemy can hide inside the wood while sneaking, meaning they can break the monument without anybody noticing. Good rushers can sneak in quite easily, and practically anyone can get a wood-covered monument
  • People that know this strategy is bad (regulars) will absolutely rage at you to NOT cover the monument. It's not against the rules, no, but as I mentioned, it's a bad strategy and it will most likely put you in a disadvantaged situation.
  • As a moderator, I tend to get quite a few reports labeled "team griefing," but in fact it is only a few people arguing whether to cover the monument or not. It's honestly a real pain to deal with, and while I can usually resolve the situation, it's not something I (and other staff) enjoy doing on a regular basis.
In short:
You can cover the monument if you want.
But I highly recommend you don't.

Hope this helps! ^-^
+1 If I see somebody griefing a defense with wood or griefing at all for that matter, I'll "accidentally" break the block in a bridge they are sure to go in and always feel a great sense of pleasure when I see their death message from the void cuz if they're griefing they're idiots who don't know they're going to fall >:D

JKawesome October 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM UTC

+1 If I see somebody griefing a defense with wood or griefing at all for that matter, I'll "accidentally" break the block in a bridge they are sure to go in and always feel a great sense of pleasure when I see their death message from the void cuz if they're griefing they're idiots who don't know they're going to fall >:D
So basically, you're getting revenge at a team griefer by griefing him...k

badgg October 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM UTC

Well, it's better than no defence...

Phobiaxx October 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM UTC

+1
And yeah, I agree with croc ^-^

Tarheelkiwi October 28, 2014 at 2:10 AM UTC

Or you can just get the whole team and guard the monument.  Think people

Stimulating October 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM UTC

It's arguable. You could say that you'd rather have no defence than have a hiding spot for rushers

SnowSX3 October 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM UTC

It's arguable. You could say that you'd rather have no defence than have a hiding spot for rushers
Any defense is better than no defense.

What makes a defense good is a combination of a natural defense and players that are nearby and guard it.

MidnightBeats October 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM UTC

As Snow said, any defense is better than no defense. 
But really, this defense is so weak, it's like building a house of sand next to the water. When the waves come crashing in, the whole house will collapse because there is no strong foundation. 

Covering the monument is one of the weakest forms of defense in Nebula, mainly because people think:

One of the better things to do would be to leave the monument, remove all the things around it (doesn't include bedrock), and create a defense using an assortment of fences, pressure plates, crafting tables, and well-armoured players standing guard.

Zycn October 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM UTC

Okay, Thx for the help! U can lock this now

kycrafft October 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM UTC

Not an infraction. It's a great idea ;) *coughcoughdefinatelynotarushercoughcough*
I rush too but this is how I lose 50% of my games

Mooch24 October 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM UTC

tbh leaving it untouched is better