Avicus Archive

Covering the monument with wood? by Shoto_ August 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM UTC

I'm defending a monument when suddenly a noob covers the monument with wood.  I tell them to stop, but they don't. I break the blocks, but nope.avi.
Should it be against the rules? I think it should. (if it's not already.)

Zeusy August 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM UTC

They were trying to help you defend.

This is not considered team grief.

SnowSX3 August 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM UTC

They were trying to help you defend.

This is not considered team grief.
Well, he could...in a sense.

But, if the player was covering the monument with wood without the consent of the defenders then it would be considered team griefing-playing against their own team. In this case-placing unnecessary blocks that doesn't help the defense but rather causes an annoyance.

The_Detonator_ August 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM UTC

Well, he could...in a sense.

But, if the player was covering the monument with wood without the consent of the defenders then it would be considered team griefing-playing against their own team. In this case-placing unnecessary blocks that doesn't help the defense but rather causes an annoyance.
Then it could be taken the other way. You are removing the blocks that he placed around the monument as a form of team grief.

SnowSX3 August 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM UTC

Then it could be taken the other way. You are removing the blocks that he placed around the monument as a form of team grief.
True, but if you're setting up a defense and some guy comes up and places blocks everywhere-taking it down wouldn't be griefing as you are the one setting up the defense.

No matter what happened, by reading the OP I can tell that there was a lack of communication on this team. The key to a good defense is communication.

S3M3L August 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM UTC

We have that issue every time, a monument shouldn't be covered with blocks where you're unable to see it clear. I usually only play for the pvp-aspect but now and then I want to defend, this is never possible when another team member comes along and removes my defence or places other blocks when I've already put up my "defences". I do think this is teamgriefing and shouldn't be allowed, I don't really give a damn if you want to place stacks of wood everywhere to "defend the monument" when I've already done it my way, and to say this is a communication issue it's wrong,  Iv'e tried to talk and tell the other team member to stop but that never happens.

Myv August 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM UTC

This is a stupid way of defense - people can easily shift-click mine the monument in the wood without anyone noticing - I think that there should be a rule where no blocks can be placed within 3 spaces of the monument - this is stupid defense, I think. Every single time there's a noob who places wood for defense, and doesn't listen when you tell them not to (probably on purpose) and these people should be kicked. I hate it when idiots don't realise how silly it is to protect it with wood.

ayy August 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM UTC

Only you'd be doing much more good for your team by removing the blockspam. I suggest you follow the way OCN does it; Blockspamming the monument or core is legal, but if a teammate removes it and starts setting up a real defence while you are still blockspamming, that's teamgriefing.

_BillGates August 16, 2014 at 1:08 PM UTC

Only you'd be doing much more good for your team by removing the blockspam. I suggest you follow the way OCN does it; Blockspamming the monument or core is legal, but if a teammate removes it and starts setting up a real defence while you are still blockspamming, that's teamgriefing.
+juan

Notalgicular August 16, 2014 at 1:08 PM UTC

Ye, if you block spam on an undefended monument its ok but if you block spam on a monument thats being defended on, its griefing their deffence so punish

goldenwalrus909 August 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

Even though we know he was trying to help, he wasn't. We all know it's a horrible idea to clog the monument with wood, so it should just be against the rules.. I hate it when all my defenses get ruined.. 
Also, it should count as a team-grief. That person was ruining the defense and refused to stop even after the defender told him/her to.

Reynee2002 August 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

blockspamming is the best way to defend it makes it harder for the other team to get there

BoldAndBrash August 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

blockspamming is the best way to defend it makes it harder for the other team to get there
Really? The enemy is just gonna tunnel inside the fricking wood without being seen! I hope you were joking when you sAid that.....

Reynee2002 August 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

Really? The enemy is just gonna tunnel inside the fricking wood without being seen! I hope you were joking when you sAid that.....
no i just use xray if they do that

BoldAndBrash August 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

awesome_apricot August 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

yes, it should be against the rules. Anyway, if I see someone covering monuments with anything but glass, and there is a genuine defence set up, I will usually warn them and then kick/TB fr team grief.

winterice123 August 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

yes, it should be against the rules. Anyway, if I see someone covering monuments with anything but glass, and there is a genuine defence set up, I will usually warn them and then kick/TB fr team grief.
But that's not fair! It may be annoying, yes, but what if they genuinely believe they're contributing?
Plus these are public matches... you're not exactly supposed to assume that everyone is going to work together and strategise as a team, same as any other game (COD, World of Tanks, etc.)

Notalgicular August 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

But that's not fair! It may be annoying, yes, but what if they genuinely believe they're contributing?
Plus these are public matches... you're not exactly supposed to assume that everyone is going to work together and strategise as a team, same as any other game (COD, World of Tanks, etc.)
Well this isn't COD, its Avicus and teams DO work together

Emmaye August 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Using glass is better since you can see, and if your minecraft sounds are turned up, you can hear it break

Zintenka August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Using glass is better since you can see, and if your minecraft sounds are turned up, you can hear it break
^

S3M3L August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Yes, you are right, if you cover the monument, it should be covered with any block that's transparent. Like my example here, I never use water, ladders or any other object that isn't transparent as you need to be able to see your monument clearly. c:

http://i.imgur.com/Db5yOlP.png

Zintenka August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

I believe that they should be warned or kicked. And plz TB the guy who said he uses xray... he just admitted to using hacks...

Anyway, this happens quite often whenever i defend... I make a fort out of my defense... some noob bridges over with wood without breaking the bridge... breaks the glass i place around monument... replaces with wood... I say: "No! Wood is horrible and has a dull sound, glass is louder and transparent!"... They ignore or say: "Wood is harder to break through and will stop them u noob."... seriously... you can see the idiocy in the wood part.

I REALLY want this to be an offense... you can't place hard blocks (grass, stone, wood, etc.) 3 blocks within the monument's area. You can place glass or stained glass though.

And also, make it so that it is a MUST that you break the bridge when bridging to the monument. This could be considered team greifing since they're practically building a pathway for the enemy to walk to the objective.

D00ZiE August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

"Blockspamming the monument or core is legal, but if a teammate removes it and starts setting up a real defence while you are still blockspamming, that's teamgriefing"

This is perfect.

Phobiaxx August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

"Blockspamming the monument or core is legal, but if a teammate removes it and starts setting up a real defence while you are still blockspamming, that's teamgriefing"

This is perfect.
agreed.

winterice123 August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Well this isn't COD, its Avicus and teams DO work together
Then why so much trouble with defences?
Also in reply to Doozie, I don't think it should be a problem if you tell the person first or a mod warns them.

Arachadonic August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Then why so much trouble with defences?
Also in reply to Doozie, I don't think it should be a problem if you tell the person first or a mod warns them.
Before any official infraction a verbal warning is expected to be given out anyway so that should be in place regardless.

winterice123 August 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Before any official infraction a verbal warning is expected to be given out anyway so that should be in place regardless.
Ah, but I mean if he or another mod says that it should not be there, then it shouldn't be an infraction if someone destroys the covering to build a stronger defence

Emmaye August 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

Yes, you are right, if you cover the monument, it should be covered with any block that's transparent. Like my example here, I never use water, ladders or any other object that isn't transparent as you need to be able to see your monument clearly. c:

http://i.imgur.com/Db5yOlP.png
Nice defense btw

FirstSintax August 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

no i just use xray if they do that
x ray is not allowed on the server

Arigenn August 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM UTC

I would agree that it should be against the rules. Say you are guarding a monument and some guy comes along and randomly places wood on it. It's really annoying and time consuming

Sevoo August 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

I think the best defence would be covering up the monument with Glass (Maybe that'll work idk I'm not a good defence), Mine the whole underground part below the monument's obsidian, make a border with glass, wood, glass, wood,etc.And place a archery tower. Also make some ladders an.d blocks over them so they will break it slower. And place a bunch of people around and inside the monument defence with the best armour according to the map.

PieZ August 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

I think the best defence would be covering up the monument with Glass (Maybe that'll work idk I'm not a good defence), Mine the whole underground part below the monument's obsidian, make a border with glass, wood, glass, wood,etc.And place a archery tower. Also make some ladders an.d blocks over them so they will break it slower. And place a bunch of people around and inside the monument defence with the best armour according to the map.
Anyone with touney expierence will tell you that archery towers only look nice. They are not that affective

kycrafft August 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

x ray is not allowed on the server
ya it is

Sevoo August 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

Anyone with touney expierence will tell you that archery towers only look nice. They are not that affective
Ok but sometimes it's just slows the guy down and gets him to less good health.

Snowcone202 August 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

Sometime I cover  with glass (glass is way better) then they take away the glass and put wood there.

mukmukfriend August 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

I've had a lot of tourney experience and I can say archer towers can be very useful and a pain in the butt for the other team ONLY IF the person in the archery tower is amazing at bow. He can tell his team everything that is happening (someone started tunneling, someone started skybridge, etc.) while shooting people in places where they don't expect it

Shoto_ August 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

Glass is good, it makes noise when it breaks compared to the dull wood sound.

&^&

LeCobalt August 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

The best block to use as a defense is either air or lava

No glass

JKawesome August 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM UTC

Here is what I usually tell people: cover the monument only if you're on my opposite team. It makes my job a whole lot easier

KDurant_35 August 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Covering blocks = bad defense. I would consider that greifing, not breaking them, since covering the monument HINDERS your team (aka greif).

BourbonBonobo August 20, 2014 at 5:08 AM UTC

Dude noobs just think that by covering the monument will make it harder for the opposing team to break it. This is completely wrong and kinda dumb
(in defensive reasons). However it isn't against the rules. It sucks I know, i have the same problem, but just deal with it.

Paul_Karpov August 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Dude noobs just think that by covering the monument will make it harder for the opposing team to break it. This is completely wrong and kinda dumb
(in defensive reasons). However it isn't against the rules. It sucks I know, i have the same problem, but just deal with it.
I know right he has to deal wit it

Paul_Karpov August 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Covering blocks = bad defense. I would consider that greifing, not breaking them, since covering the monument HINDERS your team (aka greif).
Deal wit it

jracer15 August 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

The least experienced Nebula player would think 'if I cover it up with wood then it would be harder to break through."  Key word is noob, they don't know it as well so its more of an inexperience crisis.

AzureKitty August 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

I try to push the awareness of defending and how covering the monument is bad. Yes wood takes longer to break. However that makes it so much easier for the other team to sneak under, over, or even spam wood to hid themselves and dig up the monument. Some of the maps even have signs that say "Tip: don't cover the monument!"  If it's going to me blocked it should be something like glass or even buttons (to prevent block placing) When I'm defending and someone just wont listen, it's very discouraging.  It brings a negative feel to the game, and makes less enjoyable for though who know the basics of defending. I think this needs to be taken care of. Say all monuments have buttons on them you can't break. Or just don't allow any blocks to be placed a certain area around the monument. Something like this would make the game much more enjoyable, and easier to play!

BoldAndBrash August 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

Just use signs. Better than buttons or levers.

cinammoncroc000 August 22, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

I try to push the awareness of defending and how covering the monument is bad. Yes wood takes longer to break. However that makes it so much easier for the other team to sneak under, over, or even spam wood to hid themselves and dig up the monument. Some of the maps even have signs that say "Tip: don't cover the monument!"  If it's going to me blocked it should be something like glass or even buttons (to prevent block placing) When I'm defending and someone just wont listen, it's very discouraging.  It brings a negative feel to the game, and makes less enjoyable for though who know the basics of defending. I think this needs to be taken care of. Say all monuments have buttons on them you can't break. Or just don't allow any blocks to be placed a certain area around the monument. Something like this would make the game much more enjoyable, and easier to play!
The problem is that the person who is covering the monument usually thinks he is actually helping the team. He/she just isn't aware that doing so actually hurts the team, but he/she doesn't know that. If he/she got punished, they wouldn't know why since they genuinely thought they were helping.

Synergic August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Let noobs be noobs.

BourbonBonobo August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

^ what he said

puffytrn5751 August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

I think glass/signs are the solution (:

Snowcone202 August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

I like glass better than wood because you can see though it and you can hear if they break it.

SpicyTunaRoll9 August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

no, no no.
You do not cover the monument in wood/glass/crafting tables. period.
Case is different if it's a DTC (although that isn't on avicus)

Snowcone202 August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

................but glass is good

lulle265 August 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Let noobs be noobs.
I'll ruin your work, destroy your hope in humanity, make you rage, waste your spent time, make you scream and rage, because Let noobs be noobs.

But people blocking the monument, and me "having to deal with it" would basically make my team instantly lose and the guy who covered the monument with wood would blame me because I didn't help him/her, and the whole team because they didn't try to defend.

I don't like covering it with glass. It's messy, and I can't defend a messy monument.

SpicyTunaRoll9 August 22, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

................but glass is good
no it isn't. Wether you can see them or not they can block themselves in with wood. Since glass is easy to break they can make their way to the monument in seconds. Even though you can break the glass they might have blocked themselves in, and that 1 second makes a difference between gg or not.

Shoto_ August 22, 2014 at 3:08 AM UTC

It really sucks that it's not illegal, because it just makes it easier for the other team to get through.

GamblerTheGreat August 22, 2014 at 3:08 AM UTC

Well if you keep telling them over and over and they still don't listen to you, I would then consider that team grief.

S3M3L August 22, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

No, you don't cover it with buttons or signs as they don't cover the whole monument. Instead you should be using iron bars or trap doors.

PieZ August 22, 2014 at 5:08 AM UTC

no, no no.
You do not cover the monument in wood/glass/crafting tables. period.
Case is different if it's a DTC (although that isn't on avicus)
This man knows how to defend

AzureKitty August 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

The problem is that the person who is covering the monument usually thinks he is actually helping the team. He/she just isn't aware that doing so actually hurts the team, but he/she doesn't know that. If he/she got punished, they wouldn't know why since they genuinely thought they were helping.
This is true, I don't want to see full out punishment. A simple warning of some sort or predetermined barrier around the monument would do.

ProfessorUtonium August 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

No. Make the people who can't defend learn the hard way. If someone is defending and they cover it that should be punishable.

Carryinq August 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Covering the monument in wood is a tactic. I'm not saying a good one but it is a tactic. It rarely works well, but I have seen it work before. Obviously it is due to how many defenders bother to defend the monument after covering it, but don't doubt the covering the monument in wood tactic. It is definitely not punishable.