Avicus Archive

[♆] Event #6 - Aldebaran by Atheyna January 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

Event #6: This is the sixth official event on the Avicus Network, known as "Aldebaran". It has been a while since we last had a contest due to small bumps on the road and I'm sorry for that. I will try my very best to keep this contests more consistent on Avicus from this point on. For this contest, you are given a certain amount of time to construct a map for Avicus's gamemode, The Walls. There are a few rules however, but it should be fun for everyone!

Who are the judges?
The individuals that will be judging this competition are ScriptingCookies and Slicorn. Judges for this contest will not change, so please do not ask to become one. You may however request to become a judge for future Avicus building competitions.

What are the rules?
You have to follow these rules or your map will be rejected.
- You may not have more than 3 authors.
- You must have a Walls map. Anything else will not be entered in.
- You may not create more than 5 Walls maps for Aldebaran.

What are the guidelines?
Maps are judged in the following aspects;
Gameplay (How do you think the map will play on the servers?)
Aesthetics (How pleasing to the eye does it look?)
Creativity (Is it unique and really stands out?)

YAML will be done by a map developer if you wish, and it will not count against you. We're all here to help!

What gamemodes can I do?
You can do anything possible within YAML in The Walls

How do I submit my map?
Put a [CONTEST] tag in the title. By doing so, you are entered into the contest and put into a spreadsheet. It contains the map name, authors, thread link, jurisdiction of approval/denial, and it's gamemode. All Walls maps are eligible to be in this contest. You have the permission to post your thread link in the post below so we can see it easier.

1. Do not give in-constructive feedback by knocking others down to build yourself up.
2. Do not steal maps; all maps are your property. Violations of this are a permanant ban.
3. Do not ghost produce; don't have other users make a map for you and you take credit.
4. Do not spam judges; patience is a large key. Wait for a response on your map.
5. Do not ghost view; don't tally a ton of thread views in your thread for attention.
6. Do not make joke maps; all maps must be true submissions to the server.
7. Do not submit maps made prior to this; all maps must be "newly produced".
8. Always give credit. No matter what the case, credit everyone who authored.

How can I create YAML?
Use our documentation resource at docs.avicus.net.

What is the prize?
When winning a build competition, you will receive a gold rank. You may choose to transfer your rank to another user is you do not wish to have a

Is the spreadsheet public?
Yes! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9CYPRvSxJWrkJiugM7Hl3dlCmi6M5iwYG-xU5dhK0w/edit?usp=sharing

PREVIOUS EVENT

Starts; January 15th, 2015
Ends; February 1st, 2015

Atheyna January 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

I encourage all users to participate in Aldebaran, it's really fun to participate in!

ProfessorUtonium January 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

Oh Baby a Triple X2!

Spartemex January 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

Ill try...

Doppelganger_ January 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM UTC

Perhaps we could have longer breaks between each event because pretty soon the people participating in these will be burnt out of map making.

ViceTechnicolour January 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM UTC

Walls YAML too hard, even I can't do it ;l

Atheyna January 16, 2015 at 2:01 AM UTC

Perhaps we could have longer breaks between each event because pretty soon the people participating in these will be burnt out of map making.
Yes, that makes sense. About a week or two gap?

Atheyna January 16, 2015 at 2:01 AM UTC

Walls YAML too hard, even I can't do it ;l
There is a fair amount of people that know how to do it, and if some people don't, they can easily ask for help.

JJTheGuy January 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM UTC

Wait wait wait, this isn't fair! Polar's gunna win! :P

Wait! I'll just team with him. xD

StewieFG January 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM UTC

I'm going to try. And only the first place will get gold rank? And the second and third place maps may be added even they did not win?

Atheyna January 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM UTC

I'm going to try. And only the first place will get gold rank? And the second and third place maps may be added even they did not win?
First place will indeed be promoted to Gold rank, but this doesn't mean it will be the only map accepted. The accepting part works the same as if it were a regular map.

Polar_Express January 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM UTC

This is a great event for map makers. if anyone needs help please let me know, but I will not be entering into this contest as of now, it may change, but I dont think I will at this point. If you need help with Walls YML please let me know, or you don't know how to copy quads etc. I have submitted 3 maps in the last month so I think I am all mapped out, and since I have Diamond already it is a better served reward for others.

EinfachNalor January 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM UTC

I would like to enter, but I have no idea how to make a walls map. What are criterias for a good walls map? I have nearly never played walls so I dont know how a good walls map looks like O.O

Trexychan January 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM UTC

I would like to enter, but I have no idea how to make a walls map. What are criterias for a good walls map? I have nearly never played walls so I dont know how a good walls map looks like O.O
Search up Hypixel walls for a good idea.

As for how to make a good map...
Aesthetics, caves, and hidden chests, with a badass monument at the center.

Fouled January 16, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

@ForscherFinder
You can find a walls template here: http://avicus.net/forums/66c4840b4.

Need a map theme?
Think of inspirations, or anything that you have a real interest in. You can also try finding some cool themes on the internet! This is what helps most people start on a map.
What do walls maps usually contain?
A good amount of aesthetics and game-play.
This can be shown by having caves, secret areas in the map, some houses, trees and anything that you think would be appropriate.
Customizing the map without using a template would also work and be a cool idea! (Optional)

Remember, it's about having fun rather than going for the prize.Anyways, I highly suggest that you all participate in this contest, as it contributes a lot to Avicus and it's just a fun new experience.Good luck to everyone!

ViceTechnicolour January 17, 2015 at 7:01 PM UTC

https://twitter.com/AvicusMD/status/556538703863369728 Everyone retweet! :)

Spartemex January 17, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

If Im already gold, and I win, will I become Emmy?

Atheyna January 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM UTC

If Im already gold, and I win, will I become Emmy?
Gold + Gold = Emerald, so yeah. You may also want pets or to give your rank away to a friend :)

toketrain January 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

there should only be one contest a month, map makers are gonna get tired very quick

MerlinMaster January 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM UTC

You don't have to participate in all of the contests.

Trexychan January 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM UTC

God... dammit... my lazy ass... cannot be bothered... to make a walls map... DX

Rainstruck January 22, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

Alright I'm looking for a team!! please add me on skype if you would be interested!!

toketrain January 22, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

if anyone needs help with quad copying, mcedit, worldedit, yaml etc you can ask me! i have mostly experience with walls maps so y'know

Myv January 22, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Sounds sweet.

Polar_Express January 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

Just a quick question - How many are making a map either as a team or alone? I am excited to see the maps and it would be great to know how many are currently working on one. Thanks for reading.

Awarrior January 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

Just a quick question - How many are making a map either as a team or alone? I am excited to see the maps and it would be great to know how many are currently working on one. Thanks for reading.
I might be :-)

(EDIT: I need a friend)

Trexychan January 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

I might be :-)

(EDIT: I need a friend)
I'll be ur fwiend :3

StewieFG January 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM UTC

I'm done my map :) Waiting for 1st Feb :o

itaity January 23, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Im making one :D

ProfessorUtonium January 31, 2015 at 12:01 AM UTC

The event ends today tomorrow  at 12:00 AM  from what I heard. Gl to all the contestants.

Also if the maps are accepted they might be tested out on Mapdev during the map testing event!

Atheyna January 31, 2015 at 12:01 AM UTC

The event ends today tomorrow  at 12:00 AM  from what I heard. Gl to all the contestants.

Also if the maps are accepted they might be tested out on Mapdev during the map testing event!
Indeed it does, and yes, good luck to anyone that has entered the contest! :)

ClubberNugget January 31, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

I just submitted mine today, may the best map win! ^_^

Atheyna January 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM UTC

Alrighty. This contest is officially over, thank you to everyone that participated in Aldebaran. Jurisdiction of the maps will be determined shortly. Keep up to date with the spreadsheet!

ClubberNugget January 31, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Alrighty. This contest is officially over, thank you to everyone that participated in Aldebaran. Jurisdiction of the maps will be determined shortly. Keep up to date with the spreadsheet!
I do not see my map on the spreadsheet

Fouled January 31, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Congratulations! All the maps that were entered for the contest, have been accepted! Fantastic work to everyone that submitted a map for Aldebaran, and we hope to see possibly more people participate in future contests. 
We will determine the winner of the contest, at the map testing event, held at 6:30PM EST, Saturday 31st, 2015. 

Good luck! (:

StewieFG February 1, 2015 at 7:02 AM UTC

I couldn't get on the event, who won the contest?

Atheyna February 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM UTC

I couldn't get on the event, who won the contest?
The map testing event was cut short due to the server going down. Because of this, contest maps weren't tested. We will finish off testing the rest of the maps in the near future.

Atheyna February 2, 2015 at 12:02 AM UTC

We have determined a winner and places for Avicus's 6th building competition!

In first place we have, Scarecrow by EricV4, Zedther, and NuclearDucky.
In second we have Grotto Arena by Polar_Express
In third is Reverse by Sethskye
And last but not least, in fourth we have SubDivision by MarkColtsfan.

Thanks so much for participating in Aldebaran and I encourage you to participate in future Avicus building competitions! Winners of Aldebaran, please contact me on my Skype (thehoopsman) so we can negotiate your prize.

Ducksfanwaterloo February 2, 2015 at 12:02 AM UTC

We have determined a winner and places for Avicus's 6th building competition!

In first place we have, Scarecrow by EricV4, Zedther, and NuclearDucky.
In second we have Grotto Arena by Polar_Express
In third is Reverse by Sethskye
And last but not least, in fourth we have SubDivision by MarkColtsfan.

Thanks so much for participating in Aldebaran and I encourage you to participate in future Avicus building competitions! Winners of Aldebaran, please contact me on my Skype (thehoopsman) so we can negotiate your prize.
Gratz!!!