Avicus Archive

Okay, so... updates. by ViceTechnicolour March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

This is from a personal perspective, but carries out in general to what I was talking about. Let me say some things;

The staff are here to help.
The devs could probably land a job with way better pay.
Remember that this is a game.

The Ugly
You complain there's no change, but when we do change you throw a fit.
You complain the updates are too slow, but once they release you joke them.
You complain there's never any staff->community interaction, but look;
   > There's staff showcase threads for the community to learn more about your peers often.
   > There's community updates regularly by administration to show progress on development.
   > There's EXCESSIVE map development related threads, from the map developer end.
   > Multiple feedback threads and stuff like map district, open discussions about testings.
   > Several teasers, several safe-leaks, several open TS discussions by staff.
   > UHC Event, Multiple map events, and those to arrive.
   > More to come...

Staff Exist
Here is a screenshot of what I've posted in the last couple months.

There's 14 discussions entitled, and out of those, guess what? 13 are related to my job/position excluding OnlineSequencer. Update wise, 8 of them are updates. Map wise, 4 of them are maps. You can't say none of us are trying.

Oh, what have you guys done anyway?
We added CTW for you. AFAIK we weren't going to until you wanted it.
We added new YML features for you, which a select part of the community asked for.
We carried out a staff reassessment, which took place a while ago after staff complaints.
We gave you a new site, which a lot of people complained about the old one.
We bumped up the quality of maps, which you all wanted. Hardly any just-island maps.
We added MCZone servers and returned your old maps.
We gave a new lobby after the old one was too big and laggy, you guys wanted.
We're doing handpick staff selection and getting new seniors.
We gave you actual, physical Avicus merchandise.
We got you a new developer, pavillion99.
We got new map developers, which was demanded after the team collapsed.
We added some new rules to accompany what you guys got tired of.
We have a ton of concepts in the pipeline (and currently being tested as we speak).
The event committee has worked for the past 3 months, not a day where we haven't planned.

More to this stuff, too! You should know at this point.

Deadlines?
We don't give deadlines because we don't want to lie to you. Said in another thread, so let me just continue to say that the only thing that was a missed thing in the slightest was the "winter" update, in which was never fully confirmed for an actual date, just the name. The tournament is happening. Already released map submissions, ref apps, some info already, and are working on giving the rest out once finalized.

False Ban Complaints
Instead of berating the staff, just email [email protected]. It makes you look bad, and that stuff follows you. Rudeness isn't acceptable.
                  "help i no get reply from support" - There's other ways of handling it, and with the new senior staff there'll be less issues.

We're dying!!???
Stop being dramatic. Stop this cluster of leaving threads again when you come back precisely a day later and become active again. You're just trying to make the situation worse than it actually is. I can't say anyone is perfect, but with the staff compared to other large networks I'd say this is a fairly good team in general. If you even strafed on other servers, you'd be (unprofessionally) punished.

And; I know it's not all of you who complain. Thank you, those who stick by us.

Vobaseball12 March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

Thank you for this. I really hope this clears up and ends the fights between the players and staff members.

ProfessorUtonium March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

"maisosen" Nise men that old map. Hopefully its still good :3

Thank you for posting this. I've been getting annoyed with people getting angry about the staff not doing anything/

TheTNTPotato March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

People tend to either judge based off of other people's opinions, or by very general views. They don't looks at the specifics, and don't know what goes on behind the scenes. The people that do know behind the scenes see the interesting things that occur, and mixed feelings are generated most of the time. There's one thing that you have to know though.. Avicus is a lot better than other Minecraft servers. If Avicus had more players, things would be much crazier, which could possibly change the opinions of other people. It would have probably changed my old opinions, but that's not something that I want to go deep into.

Avicus is more professional than a lot of servers, and the staff team does put in as much work as they can. I personally don't think Avicus is the best MC server ever, but it isn't a terrible network. I hope it continues being decent, because not many servers are all that.

PieZ March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

I feel like the pointing game is coming from this.

Ogrey March 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM UTC

You're boss Para

Glitchaye March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I don't really think hating on Hypixel and Mineplex at the end was nice :/

BourbonBonobo March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I have quite an amusing question but.. Are you staff paid???

Vobaseball12 March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

That is what they do tho.

I have quite an amusing question but.. Are you staff paid???
No, I believe only devs? But, I could be wrong, and if they do get paid, it isn't much.

Tarheelkiwi March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

Amen!

Glitchaye March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

That is what they do tho.
Then they shouldnt poke fun at it in a legitimate update post..

Yep, I understand.

Newcleus March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

No, I believe only devs? But, I could be wrong, and if they do get paid, it isn't much.
Nobody is paid anything, it's all volunteer work.

ViceTechnicolour March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

Was/still am in a salty mood making this, so yeah removed that part. Apologies

Oh, ok, really didn't think so, but thought they maybe did. I was really only talking about developers anyway.

BourbonBonobo March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

Holy crap! I really thought all the moderators/developers were paid! Well if you were paid, This would be one of my dream jobs!

ImJeezus March 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

You complain there's no change, but when we do change you throw a fit. : Because it didn't live up to the hype. Usually if something is under development for a long time, most people expect it to be show-stopping or stellar.
You complain the updates are too slow, but once they release you joke them. : Updates are slow? I don't know what you exactly mean here.
You complain there's never any staff->community interaction, but look;
   > There's staff showcase threads for the community to learn more about your peers often. : Are these the staff interview threads?
   > There's community updates regularly by administration to show progress on development. : Are you talking about the development section? There is literally 3 threads, from 9-10 months ago.
   > There's EXCESSIVE map development related threads, from the map developer end. : Not much to say about this, it's kinda true, you guys focus a lot on maps, props.
   > Multiple feedback threads and stuff like map district, open discussions about testings. : ^
   > Several teasers, several safe-leaks, several open TS discussions by staff. : This doesn't help that much in terms of updates.
   > UHC Event, Multiple map events, and those to arrive. : One of those events has not even happened yet.
   > More to come...

I don't mean to be an asshole, but really, step it up a bit.

FrozenSolstice March 15, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Thanks for making this Para, I feel it was needed :)

The staff and map dev team try very hard to keep the players entertained. We do lots of background work that the community doesn't see until later. I understand that people want change, something new and exciting, but for this to happen, we need people on board. People getting suggestions out there. We can't always promise that everything will happen, but we always have a good crack at it.

Avicus is a great server, providing you with great gameplay and an amazing community. Other servers pump out updates constantly, but have a terrible community. Staff and Map Devs do our job, which doesn't seem like much on the outside to some players, but we work overtime, shaping the way we do things, shaping ourselves. Everything takes time, it's up to you as players to be patient and help us. 

:)

Jake41901 March 15, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Another thing to add.

Not many servers actually care about what the community wants, so just be greatful that Avicus actually tries to do so.

Goodnighht March 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

THANKS YOU FOR THIS. it was needed so much...

Goodnighht March 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

It may not have been nessesary but they real do xD 3 of my friends got banned from mineplex because someone used they "stacker" and threw them in the air and screenshoted it and they got banned for "fly hacking" they will ban just about anyone if a donator says they hack.

Stimulating March 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

"We don't give deadlines because we don't want to lie to you. Said in another thread, so let me just continue to say that the only thing that was a missed thing in the slightest was the "winter" update, in which was never fully confirmed for an actual date, just the name. The tournament is happening. Already released map submissions, ref apps, some info already, and are working on giving the rest out once finalized." 

I'll add a quick counter-point...winter update kinda suggests it's going to be released in the winter, which to the community is pretty much like setting a deadline. You may not say specific dates, but you say within a certain timeframe that is not usually achieved. 

Yes, I thank the team for doing all this, but also try to see this from a community perspective, we don't get to see much behind the scenes, so tbh a lot of the community doesn't give credit when due. But with the lack of staff saying on the forums what's going on, it's a rather difficult for the community to be thankful when they see so little. So tbh, a lot of staff moan about how the community is ungreatful, yet they don't give the community enough of a look inside to complain about the general community's ignorance, because there isn't enough information given for the said community not to be ignorant in the first place. 

Maybe there should be an update thread listing a lot of the things happening behind the scenes. 

@Para/Tanpopo: chill a bit, man. I understand the frustration, but being a bit ill-tempered with some community members doesnt he'll you, or the staff teams rep. Know I'm empathetic to a point.

Yuuji March 15, 2015 at 4:03 AM UTC

"We don't give deadlines because we don't want to lie to you. Said in another thread, so let me just continue to say that the only thing that was a missed thing in the slightest was the "winter" update, in which was never fully confirmed for an actual date, just the name. The tournament is happening. Already released map submissions, ref apps, some info already, and are working on giving the rest out once finalized." 

I'll add a quick counter-point...winter update kinda suggests it's going to be released in the winter, which to the community is pretty much like setting a deadline. You may not say specific dates, but you say within a certain timeframe that is not usually achieved. 

Yes, I thank the team for doing all this, but also try to see this from a community perspective, we don't get to see much behind the scenes, so tbh a lot of the community doesn't give credit when due. But with the lack of staff saying on the forums what's going on, it's a rather difficult for the community to be thankful when they see so little. So tbh, a lot of staff moan about how the community is ungreatful, yet they don't give the community enough of a look inside to complain about the general community's ignorance, because there isn't enough information given for the said community not to be ignorant in the first place. 

Maybe there should be an update thread listing a lot of the things happening behind the scenes. 

@Para/Tanpopo: chill a bit, man. I understand the frustration, but being a bit ill-tempered with some community members doesnt he'll you, or the staff teams rep. Know I'm empathetic to a point.
"Maybe there should be an update thread listing a lot od the things happening behind the scenes."
THIS. When I was Admin; Jake and I were actually trying to do something like this... It was called the "monthly update"

Lucifist March 15, 2015 at 4:03 AM UTC

Actually, it was initially the community that named it the "Winter Update".

Stimulating March 15, 2015 at 4:03 AM UTC

Actually, it was initially the community that named it the "Winter Update".
Well, it ended up with the staff giving the go-ahead to name it that, so the responsibility is still the staff team's. The staff could have easily said "we aren't going to call it that because the update may be in spring", but this isn't a blame game, let's move on, shall we?

kycrafft March 15, 2015 at 4:03 AM UTC

What I really hate is this "Staff vs. Community" bullshit. The staff are part of the community but they are looked at as different and thrown under the bus.

StewieFG March 15, 2015 at 5:03 AM UTC

Para, I really appreciate your and all the staff hard work for the server, Thanks so much for that. <3

hasl March 15, 2015 at 10:03 AM UTC

Us moderators don't get paid, and that's the way we like it.
If we were getting paid, we wouldn't be the same, we wouldn't care, or have passion, we'd simply do it for the money.
We would cold-heartedly punish people unprofessionally, in an unjust manner.

Some large servers do pay their staff, some popular servers have robot staff. Some uncaring servers' staff don't even communicate with the community.

All these key elements you don't find elsewhere and it's was makes Avicus, well Avicus.

kycrafft March 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM UTC

Holy crap! I really thought all the moderators/developers were paid! Well if you were paid, This would be one of my dream jobs!
Yeah the work is for the server and community. Ivy is the only one who might make any money.

Notalgicular March 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM UTC

Us moderators don't get paid, and that's the way we like it.
If we were getting paid, we wouldn't be the same, we wouldn't care, or have passion, we'd simply do it for the money.
We would cold-heartedly punish people unprofessionally, in an unjust manner.

Some large servers do pay their staff, some popular servers have robot staff. Some uncaring servers' staff don't even communicate with the community.

All these key elements you don't find elsewhere and it's was makes Avicus, well Avicus.
"We would cold-heartedly punish people unprofessionally, in an unjust manner."
So basically how every Jr mod was when they were trying to get mod?
I kid.

MLGtino March 19, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

I'll let you in on a little secret. There are three main groups feedback.
1) Constructive criticism.
2) Pointless criticism.
3) Trolling.

Constructive criticism if providing helpful suggestions to make this a better place. Right? Well I don't see a lot of this stuff being made by the community. Therefore they are to blame. However, everyone's different. Some people do make good suggestions (or at least used to) and they get completely overlooked by staff. Therefore, it's partially their fault. I don't know if you are trying to one-side this. But I can understand that nobody is really listening to shit around here and guilt is the only way to get their attention. If that's what you're aiming for, you're finally taking a stand.

Pointless criticism is the crap that people put that's either already been suggested or is flat out dumb. It's just pointless. The FUN PART is when the staff actually listen to these comments and think that what 1 person wants will determine the entire fate of the server. Thankfully I don't see this happening very often. But be weary, because it's there. 

Trolling is everything else. It's the posts mocking the staff because of how shit they are. That's neither constructive or pointless - it's straight up insulting. Trolling also comes in the form of giving suggestions that are meant to drive the server down. I like to see the staff try and turn these suggestions into something good. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. These are the people that are usually complaining about all of this and "OH RHE SERVER IS DYING!!!!!! IM LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK". They should keep their opinions to themselves. HOWEVER, this doesn't mask the fact that staff actually respond to this stuff. Apparently nobody has ever heard to phrase "Don't feed the trolls" because that's all we fucking do here. And you know, the staff can barely handle this from what I see. In fact, some of the staff can barely handle constructive criticism! Just because people comment on how you do your job does not mean you have to jump in and prove them wrong. Either admit that it's your fault or walk away. And may I remind you. Being staff is a JOB. If you can't do your job, you shouldn't be there. You should be ready to deal with the consequences because no matter how much people hate on you you just have to keep on rolling. If you can't do that, just leave because nobody wants you here. The bottom line is that this is a game and you're supposed to play the game and have fun without brewing up a fucking sandstorm of hatred.

Super_Fat_Man March 19, 2015 at 9:03 PM UTC

Thank you for posting this. Lots of people have been throwing fits that the staffs don't exist.