Avicus Archive

Help Me Test the Chaos Theory by ALM July 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM UTC

Chaos theory is the study of seemingly unpredictable events that are assumed to be caused by a factor that occurs before the event.

Confused? Watch this

Now, here comes the testing part.

For a random reason a few days ago I decided to look into node-js, specifically node-minecraft-protocol.
After many hour of testing, writing, fixing errors, retesting, fixing more errors, and polishing code, I have created chaos bot!
It sounds fancier than it actually is. It's just my character (ALM) being controlled by JavaScript (there's no visual client) performing random actions around the lobby.

The bot will:
randomly walk in different directions,
randomly look in different directions,
randomly start sprinting,
and will even get itself out of a place it get's stuck in.

Anyone who has permission to teleport players, I wonder what'll happen if you TP the player to somewhere odd.
My challenge to you:
Find the bot in a neat location and tell me about it.
It tends to fall down to the bottom so it it's in a weird place down there, or it's somewhere on top, post a screenshot if possible. 
The bot will randomly broadcast it's location and a link to this topic, (It's on a long delay, so it won't spam.)

Let;s see what we can find, have fun!

NOTE: If this is in anyway against the rules, some1 tell me pls.

GrapeSmoothie July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Its in the hub

GrapeSmoothie July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Saw it earlier

ProfessorUtonium July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Well from what I saw, you developed your own hack. Your "bot" was seen sprinting in water at normal speed (no slowdown in the water)

PokerFace July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

What's this?

smitdalt July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Well from what I saw, you developed your own hack. Your "bot" was seen sprinting in water at normal speed (no slowdown in the water)
It's only in the hub who cares

ALM July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

It shouldn't be a problem since it's in the hub but I fixed it anyway just in case.

steven5703 July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

I think having the full avicus forum link in the msg would be better... all shortened links are kinda fishy :l

I think you should increase the time between messages because unless you just took it off the server I think it got kicked for spam and it kinda clutters chat anyways

I think having the full avicus forum link in the msg would be better... all shortened links are kinda fishy :l
It would't fit on 1 line.

steven5703 July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

It would't fit on 1 line.
Oh, i see :P

ALM Hub Griefer !!!!!!!!!!!

ProfessorUtonium July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

ALM Hub Griefer !!!!!!!!!!!

BAN

alexanderjoe July 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Your bot likes water 

EDIT:
It can be a little spammy with locations

Your bot likes water 

EDIT:
It can be a little spammy with locations
I'm a derp and forgot to remove a recursive call to the position announcer, to now announces every 30 seconds.
Also, it now only has a 1 in 5 chance of staying in water.

ImRaging July 21, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

make it do /spawn every once in a while, so it isnt stuck in the water for ages :P

Emmaye July 21, 2015 at 7:07 AM UTC

Wow, this is pretty neat stuff!

Zintenka July 21, 2015 at 8:07 AM UTC

Wow, seems interesting :)

ALM July 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM UTC

I logged into the hub earlier and saw people talking to it. I also added a way for me to talk through the console.

Murphh July 22, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

This is so fun!  We saw the [console] comment and wondered if you were there seeing us. 
Questions:
Can he randomly crouch?
Can he randomly say "hello" or other things?  It would be funny!
If I give him some of my credits, would you buy lobby perks?

steven5703 July 22, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

PowerYourWorld July 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM UTC

How you do this... I want to learn node right freaking now..

ALM July 22, 2015 at 6:07 PM UTC

This is so fun!  We saw the [console] comment and wondered if you were there seeing us. 
Questions:
Can he randomly crouch?
Can he randomly say "hello" or other things?  It would be funny!
If I give him some of my credits, would you buy lobby perks?
Not yet (I'll add that as soon as sessions start working again)
No, trying to keep chat spam to a minimum.
Yes.

ALM July 22, 2015 at 6:07 PM UTC

How you do this... I want to learn node right freaking now..
https://github.com/andrewrk/mineflayer
and a lot of randomly triggered actions.

goldenwalrus909 July 22, 2015 at 9:07 PM UTC

Wow, this is quite an interesting concept! I basically thought of this as a given until it was explained to me with words. After a bit of thinking this was just false pattern recognition, I realized that this is, indeed, more accurate than I first saw it to be. From what I get from it, it seems to synchronize with the gamblers' fallacy. Although the article says it's incorrect, I'm still a fairly strong believer in it. Mathematically speaking, if you flip a coin two times, there's a 50% chance there will be a pair of heads and tails, a 25% chance there will be tails only, and a 25% chance there will be heads only. Another example presents itself if you pretend you have a bucket of balls labeled 1-100. The chances you'll pick 100 twice-in-a-row is .01%, but the percentage of picking 100 with another 1-99 is obviously much higher.

This also supports the movements of your bot. The past events-- say moving left-- affect the future events of making it less likely to move left again if it is truly random.

Iron July 22, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

Please make it send out a message every 3 minutes. Please.

ALM July 23, 2015 at 6:07 AM UTC

Please make it send out a message every 3 minutes. Please.
done

ALM August 20, 2015 at 3:08 AM UTC

Bump-Ish:

Thanks for all of the help.

I'm feeling nice today, so here's the source code: https://gist.github.com/AustinLMayes/c822a9d37c6801301dc3