Avicus Archive

Weekly discussion #1: Community meetings by Administrafer October 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

G'day everyone! Sorry for my inactivity and inability to manage things lately, I have been out and about interstate! That's besides the point though, let's talk about Community/Staff meetings!

How should we all approach this event?
Who should attend?
When should it be held?

Some quick rules:
--> No directed or indirect insults, all posts must be in a calm and mature approach.
--> Respect everyones opinions, if you "put down" someones suggestion with disrespect your post will be removed.
--> Common sense also goes a long way!

Here is my perspective on this:
How should we all approach this event?
Obviously, it should be handled and hosted like any other staff meetings. 1-2 week notice, posted by an admin or senior mod. 

Who should attend?
Personally, I don't want 'every man and their dog' attending for some reasons: trolls, difficult to manage, and never ending topics. In my opinion, we should vote for "community representatives" that the community themselves choose. This allows us (senior staff) to manage and discuss topics with ease instead of having 40+ odd users going wild :P

These representatives could form a group that work closely with me eventually too!

"I want to be apart of it, but I probably won't get voted"
This is were community representatives would be awesome! They could direct their suggestions/ideas/feedback onto these blokes, then the representatives can channel them to the meeting! Think about practicality of these meetings.

When should it be held?
Saturday 6PM EST, since it works really well for the staff meetings. However we can be flexible with it!

Thanks, and happy posting!
Regards,
Jozz.

Tazz October 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

Nice

hasl October 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

I like the community reps! Sounds good Joel, have a good holiday! c;

SnowSX3 October 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

I've always thought community representatives will backfire.

These people will just be turned on by the community, besides, it's the staff team's job to represent the community in staff meetings.

If the staff aren't representing the community in staff meetings, then that significantly damages the communication and bond between staff and player.

Administrafer October 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

I've always thought community representatives will backfire.

These people will just be turned on by the community, besides, it's the staff team's job to represent the community in staff meetings.

If the staff aren't representing the community in staff meetings, then that significantly damages the communication and bond between staff and player.
I'm not talking about that, since to an extent they do represent the server. However I'm talking about users that are the voice for the community, relaying suggestions and feedback directly towards the big men themselves (senior staff).

SnowSX3 October 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM UTC

I'm not talking about that, since to an extent they do represent the server. However I'm talking about users that are the voice for the community, relaying suggestions and feedback directly towards the big men themselves (senior staff).
Shouldn't the Mods already be relaying suggestions and feedback from the community to the Senior Staff?

Chief_Hacks October 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM UTC

Sunday 8am for Australians.

vladthegreat100 October 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM UTC

lol why not just have a live Q&A on ts and have it streamed? You can have a custom ts channel and allow anyone in there and you only allow sr's up be able to talk and the only way to talk is to give them a talking stick. Would stop the trollers and if there are trollers its really easy to temp ban/ban them. Then the stream will allow for others to send in questions and you can rotate from one another.

Would be much easier than leave a few players to be the voice of the community.

If you do continue I have a few questions:
How would the "voices" know what to give the feedback to the "big men", make a post on the forums? Why don't the big men just read what the players wrote on the forums.
And if you contact them directly how do you know the "voices" won't just deny someone else's feedback, never say it and then can easily tell that person that "I forgot to say it, I never wanted to say it, e.t.c.).
Too many flaws.
Just make a custom ts room where you can only talk if you are sr + or you have a given temporary rank which allows you to speak. Easy. Simple. No need to complicate things.

PieZ October 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

Ay. I believe I have experience with working with people, being a leader, being an Admin, running a server. I will not abandon the community wishes and I can get what I want without insulting players. 
Anti BS
Extremely Blunt and Honest
I know the issues with the community
I can do this job

Spoookeh October 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Firstly, this is a great idea that I've suggested numerous times.

I would absolutely love to become a representative for the community because I've been in many of the staff-community debates and have a clear idea of what they want.

Unfortunately, like you said, I doubt I'll be chosen.

Have a good holiday Jozz and thanks for the update!

_Gill October 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

I believe that one Sr Mod (preferably an active one in the community) be elected to listen to all of the community's complaints, issues, and suggestions. It'd be a pain in the butt, but it is necessary. I don't think the community should have to "elect" representatives: I believe the Sr Staff should be doing that job for them. I used to do this in the past, and I think it worked out for the better. It builds trust between the players and staff team, especially when the server changes based around suggestions.

JOHN_CENAAAAAAAA October 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

i dislike the idea of community reps

i feel like i cant communicate with the staff as well if i have to go through some dick that everyone else voted for

in the system you are trying to manage, a representative process will not work effectively in my opinion

hasl October 26, 2015 at 6:10 AM UTC

Maybe pick the best 5 ex-staff that are still around.

Administrafer October 26, 2015 at 6:10 AM UTC

Fair points, and @vlad I quite like your idea actually. We can utilize that :P