Avicus Archive

Server Advertisement by TooSweetSki January 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM UTC

I'm curious to see if the community has any ideas on server promotion and advertisement.

Clearly, "approaching Youtubers" isn't a good plan in the short term because nothing's happened so far, so I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas that we could use to promote the server.

I know there's a few subreddits out there designed purely for server promotion but hardly anyone goes on there.

I need help with ideas..

edit: A lot of people are coming up with flaws, and that's great, but providing possible solutions would be even greater!

profbananaslug January 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM UTC

e
↑ i think that fell from the title

TooSweetSki January 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM UTC

e
↑ i think that fell from the title
*picks up e*

dev_revs January 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM UTC

First they need to change the tags on the websites they do advertise it on, last I heard it was like pvp,skywars,survival games... ect

First they need to change the tags on the websites they do advertise it on, last I heard it was like pvp,skywars,survival games... ect
Change it to what?
DTM, CTW and DTC?

AutoTool January 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM UTC

don't advertise as shitty minigames garbage

don't advertise as shitty minigames garbage
How should we advertise the server then?
Should it specifically be Team PVP, considering that's the driving force of our gamemodes?

AutoTool January 27, 2017 at 6:01 AM UTC

How should we advertise the server then?
Should it specifically be Team PVP, considering that's the driving force of our gamemodes?
yeah idk team pvp, ctf, kit pvp, epic anticheat, good staff, high player count and oh maybe Roleplay for all the minecraft sex going on..

TooSweetSki January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

yeah idk team pvp, ctf, kit pvp, epic anticheat, good staff, high player count and oh maybe Roleplay for all the minecraft sex going on..
Hey Auto,
Myself and a few other staff members have been noticing that your recent posts on the forums and your behaviour hasn't been the best. (Irrelevant posts and rude behaviour)

If this continues, you may receive a punishment.

ViceTechnicolour January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

This thread will do nothing.

I've tried to give advice on advertising the server, but it hasn't worked. The advertising here is disorganized and no matter what we say in this thread, nothing will ultimately change that. Contrary to what you believe, advertising is not a thing that effort is being poured into and it's annoying that it seems this difficult to advertise, considering it was much, much easier to put forward an effort for advertising when I was admin (someone decided to hand off my progress to a senior that went inactive, then hand it off to more inactive people) but in terms of YouTubers not only was that set, but the people who run the advertising are inexperienced with dealing with actual advertising and marketing tactics.

I see how you're trying to help, and I want to assume that a certain someone will reply to this thread countering my points and saying "please give me suggestions", but no matter how many suggestions we give it won't change who or what is running it.

I gave up on advertising and quite a bit of the community did too, we cared and nothing was done. I've expressed this in meetings, to individuals, to documents, and over the past few years even trying to help with advertising when Gillette was admin.

hasl January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

Promote voting and give good rewards for it

Promote voting and give good rewards for it
Voting does not work and there are no substantial rewards to offer in Avicus except credits. This was briefly discussed in the past about what we could reward voters, donors, dedicated players, etc. and there's not much really worth implementing. When Avicus got featured the front page of MinecraftForums as admin, the players didn't stay at all for more than a week.

How about we add some "substance" into Avicus? It's not attractive to new players and it's quite possibly stale, which is the reason we can't keep new players as much as older ones.

hasl January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

Voting does not work and there are no substantial rewards to offer in Avicus except credits. This was briefly discussed in the past about what we could reward voters, donors, dedicated players, etc. and there's not much really worth implementing. When Avicus got featured the front page of MinecraftForums as admin, the players didn't stay at all for more than a week.

How about we add some "substance" into Avicus? It's not attractive to new players and it's quite possibly stale, which is the reason we can't keep new players as much as older ones.
A gamemode where your play time actually counts? *cough HCF *cough

TooSweetSki January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

This thread will do nothing.

I've tried to give advice on advertising the server, but it hasn't worked. The advertising here is disorganized and no matter what we say in this thread, nothing will ultimately change that. Contrary to what you believe, advertising is not a thing that effort is being poured into and it's annoying that it seems this difficult to advertise, considering it was much, much easier to put forward an effort for advertising when I was admin (someone decided to hand off my progress to a senior that went inactive, then hand it off to more inactive people) but in terms of YouTubers not only was that set, but the people who run the advertising are inexperienced with dealing with actual advertising and marketing tactics.

I see how you're trying to help, and I want to assume that a certain someone will reply to this thread countering my points and saying "please give me suggestions", but no matter how many suggestions we give it won't change who or what is running it.

I gave up on advertising and quite a bit of the community did too, we cared and nothing was done. I've expressed this in meetings, to individuals, to documents, and over the past few years even trying to help with advertising when Gillette was admin.
I'm aware that little effort is currently being done to advertise the server.
This is why I wanted to start a discussion with the community to try and kickstart it up again.
Adding interest and community involvement in this should hopefully get it back on track..or at least that's my thinking anyway..

I'm aware that little effort is currently being done to advertise the server.
This is why I wanted to start a discussion with the community to try and kickstart it up again.
Adding interest and community involvement in this should hopefully get it back on track..or at least that's my thinking anyway..
A thread won't kickstart it, because we've had so many threads in the past. That won't change the fact that we have ideas, but nobody is using them. This literally changes nothing in the game, nor has any of these threads changed the course of Avicus.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but it's not enlightening the servers nor helping pave the road for anything. We have to have someone in charge who is willing to implement these ideas, not just listen to them and not give a "Hmm" response like we've been getting.

A gamemode where your play time actually counts? *cough HCF *cough
No, I was trying to get a gamemode rolling that playtime actually counts since not everyone wants to lose their progress in a map when they play, but nobody responded in mapdev chat and I'm not sure the devs would be willing to code it.

HCF is an oversaturated market currently in Minecraft. Nobody will play a poorer version of it here when they can go to one of the hundreds others open and have better features and a more focused community specifically for that gamemode.

SamuelJacob9 January 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM UTC

what a pointless thread.

flyofff January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Problems on this server should be fixed at first. There should be a reason to play on avicus. Even though it won't be back, the reason is prestiges...

Eklip_Z January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

How did this server gain players originally in the beginning?

XGalibur January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Personally I think we should add back the walls because I know me and a few other people used to come on this server often mainly to play the walls because well walls is life, and cth, cth was amazing. I know this post that I have just typed probably will not change anything or help at all but yeah, uh...#bringbackthewalls!

Walt January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Myself and a few other staff members have tried countless times to suggest ways to Funky about advertising the server and all have been shut down without a valid reason. I've lost hope in trying to help advertise the server :P

If no one has any successful ideas we can always go on to many servers and spam "Join Avicus Network - avic.us" or something like that, though we might get some hate...yeah probably not a good idea...or is it? :D

Eklip_Z January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

If no one has any successful ideas we can always go on to many servers and spam "Join Avicus Network - avic.us" or something like that, though we might get some hate...yeah probably not a good idea...or is it? :D
That's a terrible idea.

Rombeyy January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Mhm so I've been staff on HCF Servers and shit so I know a bit about adv so first I would say a trailer ,that the people could upload for idk a key or credits ig and second YouTubers DUDE YOUTUBERS ITS THE MAIN THING FOR A SERVER LIKE NO YTBERS NO NEW PLAYERS it's ez as that. 

Btw I would highly recommend Vapour for the trailer just saying

Eklip_Z Agreed...though you never know.

Rombeyy January 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

No, I was trying to get a gamemode rolling that playtime actually counts since not everyone wants to lose their progress in a map when they play, but nobody responded in mapdev chat and I'm not sure the devs would be willing to code it.

HCF is an oversaturated market currently in Minecraft. Nobody will play a poorer version of it here when they can go to one of the hundreds others open and have better features and a more focused community specifically for that gamemode.
Ok lemme say that if u know KOHI then u know wat am i talking when i say Kohi SG that's the answer a type of sg like kohi had or idk SkyWars, mine games that people can play when they r tired of the dtm or ctw thing something different compared to the main game on the network

Sweedie January 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM UTC

We could get walls and tweet a youtuber that loves walls :3

Walt January 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM UTC

Ok lemme say that if u know KOHI then u know wat am i talking when i say Kohi SG that's the answer a type of sg like kohi had or idk SkyWars, mine games that people can play when they r tired of the dtm or ctw thing something different compared to the main game on the network
Adding gamemodes like SG, Skywars, etc will do nothing for the network like it currently is. Changing the SG type to kohi'S SG will still do nothing. The reason we still have a player base is because of gamemodes like CTW and DTM. If people are tired of it they can go play 5cp and CTF.

Howsie January 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM UTC

Start fresh and wipe all stats. Introduce a new progression system. Offer boosts or free stuff to people who invite new users.

Rebranding and a launch event would be a pretty big deal

Rombeyy January 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM UTC

Adding gamemodes like SG, Skywars, etc will do nothing for the network like it currently is. Changing the SG type to kohi'S SG will still do nothing. The reason we still have a player base is because of gamemodes like CTW and DTM. If people are tired of it they can go play 5cp and CTF.
5cp? CTF? Dude it's like u don't hear to the community lol u want to keep the players into ur server and people at sometime in the day will get tired of the same gameplay so they will change of server which is not good for the Adv thing that we are talking about implementing a new gamemode will keep more players into the server and maybe it will bring new players wtf dude

ViceTechnicolour January 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM UTC

Start fresh and wipe all stats. Introduce a new progression system. Offer boosts or free stuff to people who invite new users.

I suggested rebranding and I got an "uh, no"

_DipperPines January 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM UTC

How did this server gain players originally in the beginning?
It was good

keller183 January 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM UTC

Personally I think we should add back the walls because I know me and a few other people used to come on this server often mainly to play the walls because well walls is life, and cth, cth was amazing. I know this post that I have just typed probably will not change anything or help at all but yeah, uh...#bringbackthewalls!
Something I think would work would be adding CTH, KOTH if they ever decide to add it, and maybe CTF maps to the Deathmatch rotation because that's what majority of the gameplay is for these games and Deathmatch alone is alright but some variety of similar gamemodes would be nice

Walt January 27, 2017 at 11:01 PM UTC

5cp? CTF? Dude it's like u don't hear to the community lol u want to keep the players into ur server and people at sometime in the day will get tired of the same gameplay so they will change of server which is not good for the Adv thing that we are talking about implementing a new gamemode will keep more players into the server and maybe it will bring new players wtf dude
There isn't a gamemode that will help bring players to our server that we haven't already tried.

Limidi January 27, 2017 at 11:01 PM UTC

Offering Voting Options!

If You vote for the server, say, you get to pick your team for 3 matches

Limidi January 27, 2017 at 11:01 PM UTC

I hope this server isnt going throught the same thing that OCN is....

I really hope not D:

Rombeyy January 28, 2017 at 1:01 AM UTC

There isn't a gamemode that will help bring players to our server that we haven't already tried.
Ok srry for saying this but u r one of the worst staff in the server like kid every post i see u say no no no no DUDE SAYING NO ITS NOT GOING TO HELP KID BRING IDEAS SAY SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE DUDE WTF

Okiba January 28, 2017 at 1:01 AM UTC

LOL

ogel January 28, 2017 at 2:01 AM UTC

Before you think of advertising you should come up with a gamemode that is good and unique. If people wanted to play these gms ocn wouldn't have died.

Walt January 28, 2017 at 2:01 AM UTC

Ok srry for saying this but u r one of the worst staff in the server like kid every post i see u say no no no no DUDE SAYING NO ITS NOT GOING TO HELP KID BRING IDEAS SAY SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE DUDE WTF
LOLOLOL.

I guess speaking my mind isn't good

DaFrozenBlaze January 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM UTC

Before you think of advertising you should come up with a gamemode that is good and unique. If people wanted to play these gms ocn wouldn't have died.
It's just really difficult to create a gamemode that's unique and will attract and keep players.
New gamemodes that aren't the normal DTM and CTW were introduced here for a while, they pretty much all didn't work
It will be quite the challenge

DaFrozenBlaze January 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM UTC

You immaturely calling him out for no good reason also doesn't help
Just stop making me cringe please

Rombeyy January 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM UTC

You immaturely calling him out for no good reason also doesn't help
Just stop making me cringe please
LMAO I'm done

kycrafft January 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Sometimes saying no is the right answer.

Crimson_Aught January 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Let's revert Vote button to the site top.
Rent billboard on Times Square :D

Actually Avicus head staff should ask themself: "Do we really want more players? Do we really want to work for it? Why did people join Avicus/MCZone in the past? Why did they left? Maybe we should repeat our past success? Why do people join other big servers these days? Maybe we should repeat their present success?"

kycrafft January 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Let's revert Vote button to the site top.
Rent billboard on Times Square :D

Actually Avicus head staff should ask themself: "Do we really want more players? Do we really want to work for it? Why did people join Avicus/MCZone in the past? Why did they left? Maybe we should repeat our past success? Why do people join other big servers these days? Maybe we should repeat their present success?"
Can we all be honest and accept that votes do nothing?

TooSweetSki January 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

Can we all be honest and accept that votes do nothing?
You know, Crimson made some very noteworthy points.
It's a shame you only took the voting thing out of that whole post..

Rombeyy January 28, 2017 at 11:01 AM UTC

Sometimes saying no is the right answer.
Ik, i type then I think about wat i just typed that's me 7_7

profbananaslug January 28, 2017 at 5:01 PM UTC

yes i agree, we should get a billboard in times square

Iron January 28, 2017 at 5:01 PM UTC

yes i agree, we should get a billboard in times square
+1

Spartemex January 28, 2017 at 6:01 PM UTC

Honestly, I think we need to market ourselves as a fun and competitive obejective-based PvP network. This is really what we do, and it's unique. Also, I think players just need to spread the word to their friends. If they like what we have than they'll naturally tell other people to play. So basically what I'm saying is that we need to keep ourselves unique, but also focus on stuff that will make us appealing for new people to come to. We don't need some big ad, we need people to want to come and have their friends play too, which is a harder issue to tackle.

kycrafft January 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM UTC

I read the other points and completely agree, but I chose his post only because it was the most recent one regarding voting. I'm not going to respond to any of the other points because it is unlikely that I will say anything helpful at 2 in the morning while recovering from food poisoning. 

You know, I made a post concerning voting. 
It's a shame you only took the lack of any other response out of that post...

InputIGNHere January 28, 2017 at 9:01 PM UTC

I have no ideas, I would only say this: Make more than one gamemodes that are worth playing and coming back to.(Like DTM)

aagrant99 January 29, 2017 at 2:01 AM UTC

Go direct your advertising to former Overcast Network players, this server is not too much different from what theirs was.

Rombeyy January 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM UTC

Honestly, I think we need to market ourselves as a fun and competitive obejective-based PvP network. This is really what we do, and it's unique. Also, I think players just need to spread the word to their friends. If they like what we have than they'll naturally tell other people to play. So basically what I'm saying is that we need to keep ourselves unique, but also focus on stuff that will make us appealing for new people to come to. We don't need some big ad, we need people to want to come and have their friends play too, which is a harder issue to tackle.
Like I said bfore ytb it's the biggest and easier way to adv something but u need the right YouTuber with the right public to do it, I'm pretty sure that u guys don't know him but TheRockManGamer it's a ytber from Peru he is rlly famous and he used to play and upload videos on avc bfore so if u guys talk with him I'm pretty sure that he might comeback to the srv and record there again

ElementalAssasin January 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM UTC

love it when people complain about no advertising done or whatever but have no ideas on how to actually advertise lol

@op what aagrant99 said might work idk how good they did on advertising tho

ogel January 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM UTC

It's just really difficult to create a gamemode that's unique and will attract and keep players.
New gamemodes that aren't the normal DTM and CTW were introduced here for a while, they pretty much all didn't work
It will be quite the challenge
Yup, GL e.e

XtraMajestical January 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM UTC

Make it so that if you share the server on twitter facebook or what ever then you get credits and make credits so that if you get like 5000 credits you can join a full match for instance. Or do rank give aways but to enter you must share the server on the social netoworks using this: https://gleam.io/app/competitions

Crimson_Aught January 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM UTC

Use Google direct advertising, AdWords. It is free, if doesn't work, and you pay only for clicks on your ads.

Crazy_ January 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM UTC

Make it so that if you share the server on twitter facebook or what ever then you get credits and make credits so that if you get like 5000 credits you can join a full match for instance. Or do rank give aways but to enter you must share the server on the social netoworks using this: https://gleam.io/app/competitions
Doing a rank giveaway has been a plan of mine for some time. We ended up doing a credit giveaway at Christmas time instead, however I'd be interested in doing another giveaway sometime in the future.

XtraMajestical January 29, 2017 at 9:01 PM UTC

Doing a rank giveaway has been a plan of mine for some time. We ended up doing a credit giveaway at Christmas time instead, however I'd be interested in doing another giveaway sometime in the future.
Yes but use the link i said as lots of big youtubers use the site for giveaways as you need to like and follow insta and twitter and stuff so it works as a promotion.

Crazy_ January 29, 2017 at 9:01 PM UTC

Yes but use the link i said as lots of big youtubers use the site for giveaways as you need to like and follow insta and twitter and stuff so it works as a promotion.
Mhm, using gleam was exactly what I had in mind

yummys January 29, 2017 at 10:01 PM UTC

You could make like an avicus channel on YouTube and get different people to post on it and try to get some subs so other people will watch the videos and hopefully want to join the server. Just an idea :)

Acceqted January 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM UTC

THIS

shadowolfyt January 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM UTC

"Start fresh and wipe all stats. Introduce a new progression system. Offer boosts or free stuff to people who invite new users."
I like this idea! I just don't think rebranding is necessary.

Rombeyy January 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM UTC

You could make like an avicus channel on YouTube and get different people to post on it and try to get some subs so other people will watch the videos and hopefully want to join the server. Just an idea :)
There are 2 channels already "Avicus Network" and "Avicus community" or something like that

Walt January 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM UTC

We have a YouTube channel. It currently is rotting away as only the owner (funkystudios) has access to it. We've given suggestions on how to make the YouTube channel useful again and we're never really given a proper response.

Crimson_Aught January 30, 2017 at 2:01 PM UTC

We have a YouTube channel. It currently is rotting away as only the owner (funkystudios) has access to it. We've given suggestions on how to make the YouTube channel useful again and we're never really given a proper response.
Actually, staff made a thread about youtube channel in the past and they got kilos of good constructive responses. And, of cource, nothing was done :/

Howsie February 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM UTC

"Start fresh and wipe all stats. Introduce a new progression system. Offer boosts or free stuff to people who invite new users."
I like this idea! I just don't think rebranding is necessary.
I only say that because 'Avicus' doesn't really spark any amount of meaning for anyone apart from its current and previous members. 

"Ay, check out this server, Avicus!"

"Heh, whats an Abacus. Isnt it that math thing? heheheheh"

dev_revs February 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM UTC

OCN died because lifeboat didn't want to continue with what it was, we don't need new gamemodes, as you can see, the players like the old gamemodes and continue to play those.

ogel February 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM UTC

OCN died because lifeboat didn't want to continue with what it was, we don't need new gamemodes, as you can see, the players like the old gamemodes and continue to play those.
yes all 25 players continue to play them