Avicus Archive

10 Reasons Why You Love Avicus? by PokerFace January 15, 2018 at 10:01 AM UTC

Ten more days until the end of what could be the last of the Avicus Network. In honor of the Avicus Network and it's final ten days, I would like everyone to share ten reasons why you love/loved the Avicus Network.

For myself, it would be these ten.

1) Friendship: I met a lot of cool people from several diverse backgrounds. Through playing on Avicus, I was able to connect with many players and in the future, I hope to have at least a coffee with some of those closer friends.

2) Bringing joy to others: Although it's probably nothing compared to volunteering in the real world, it still felt nice when you know you made a difference in someone else's life whether it be one less hacker, or helping someone break the monument.

3) My grammar improved: Before Avicus, I felt as if I never knew where to place commas. For reasons unknown to me, it has miraculously improved and helped me in school tremendously.

4) I learned how to build a computer: Thanks to  Loo and  _DC, I was able to build a decent gaming computer for under $150. They also helped me to understand how to actually build it, and here I am now able to build computers on my own.

5) I improved my social skills: Through talking to hundreds of people on Avicus, I was able to become more of a social person in the real world. Things such as moderator interviews and community discussions helped me get over my fear of public speaking. 

6) Able to keep up with the news without actually watching it: Thank you to whoever posted some big news stories in the discord/forums. It kept me informed when I was too lazy to watch the news on TV.

7) Improved organizational skills: Through the creation of several spreadsheets and documents, I feel as if my skills in organization have improved for thede programs.

8) I was never bored during school: I would always have something new to check whether it was a new forum post or some new messages in slack, skype, or discord.

9) Helped me through tough times: Often times, my Mom would yell at me for the most minor things, and people usually feel pretty bad when that happens. I used Avicus as a way to help me through those times and have fun.

10) Realization towards my career goal: I'm now a senior in high school, and it was only this year when I sort of had a sense of what kind of career I wanted to have. Through officiating and commentating during Avicus tournaments while observing the Counter-Strike scene, I realized I wanted a career in E-sports. Whether it is as an analyst, a planner, or even a club owner, I'm not sure, but what I do know is that Avicus helped me to realize this. Whether I achieve that goal is another question, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Please share your experiences! I want to hear from as much people as possible.

BelgiumWaffles January 15, 2018 at 10:01 AM UTC

Because iT showed me how beautiful an community can be

Lokigh January 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM UTC

Loved meeting new peeps!

xks January 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM UTC

Avicus was bucket loads of fun back in its prime. Now that life is more challenging and stressful, I can't help but to love how great everything was, including the time I spent on Avicus. Apart from the fondess I have for Avicus, I must say that I hate Avicus for moving in the wrong direction without ANYONE saying a word until everything fell out of place. 

1. Had hours of fun on end
2. There was no toxicity at all which made gameplay less competitively frustrating
3. Unique ideas were brought to the table such as prestiges
4. Teamwork: the efforts people put into playing in teams were like no other on Avicus.
5. The maps were great.

I'm honestly trying to make up reasons at the top of my head but yeah, couldn't really think of much more.

Wahiz January 15, 2018 at 3:01 PM UTC

1. I don't love Avicus

EDJM9 January 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM UTC

waste of taxpayers dollars

profbananaslug January 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM UTC

BoldAndBrash January 16, 2018 at 12:01 AM UTC

Nostalgia, old friends, taught me how to conduct myself better (still cringe reading old forum posts), and it was fun. Good luck with your career goals by the way.

ytilauxesomoh January 19, 2018 at 1:01 AM UTC

I cant think of one