Avicus Archive

Admin Update- November by MidnightBeats November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Hello.

The Administration team is making this post in order to inform the community of our current plans. With the recent promotions of our new admins, the team thought it was necessary to update you on our upcoming plans, and give a short introduction of the admins themselves. 

Up until now, Pelpelajax and I have been discussing our goals to make Avicus a better place. We took suggestions from the staff team and identified a few problems ourselves in order to assess the situation and fix what we can. Traditionally, we have divided our roles into two counterparts; Pel will be taking on the role as Staff Administrator, while I (Midnite) will be taking on the role as Community Administrator.

Foreword

Halloween was overshadowed by Administrafor and Mango retiring from their Administrator positions. The two chosen ones who replaced them were Pelpelajax and MidnightBeats. In this update, they will be introducing themselves to the community, specifying their roles and letting you know what they have planned. They want to thank you, the community, and the staff team once more for supporting them. Let's get on with the newsletter!

Pelpelajax

Hello, I am a guy from Holland who's been playing Avicus since May 2014. I am 15 years old and in grade 9/year 10. I was Moderator for 4 months, after that I spend 7 months as a Senior Moderator. I am also an Official currently busy preparing for the 2nd Tournament, and already thinking of events to hold after that.

When I got promoted, I fairly quickly established that I wanted to become Staff Administrator. Midnite was alright with this, so here I am, Head of Staff and Administration. I feel that they should be given more responsibility as they prepare to one day become an Administrator. Being able to handle a lot of responsibility is essential to being an Administrator.

Secondly, I would like to refine and simplify punishments. Right now we have a lot of different punishments. Some are too lenient, others too harsh. What I proposed is a simple and focused punishment system, that would cover almost all punishments. The system that I proposed would go like this: /warn >> kick >> 3-day ban >> 7-day ban > permanent ban. This of course doesn't count for things such as hacked clients. On that note, I feel that this is a lot more structured, and would get rid of the confusion of all the different punishment, especially for new Juniors who need to familiarise themselves with such a large range of punishment. Feel free to leave your opinions on this by commenting below.

In addition, I will spend some time updating policies. That's all for now.

Midnite

Hello everyone. 

My name is Midnite; I am a Canadian male and I have been playing Avicus since 2014. I have been moderating this server for over a year now, and I am excited to help Avicus change now that I am Administrator.

I have been elected as Community Administrator, and with this new role, I want to help the community grow and rebuild what I can. I have a clear idea of what I want to accomplish with my position, and I will be divulging a few teasers of what I have in mind.

Implement Voting Rewards

In order to kickstart Avicus' player count, I am collaborating with Kylo to restart voting rewards. Essentially, I want to make voting rewardable again, so it gives an incentive to our players to vote whilst benefiting the server. Currently, this plan is still on the drawing board, but this implementation will be added in the near future (likely after the tournament).

Increase Transparency with the Staff (Staff Q&A)

Transparency with the community has always been a problem for the staff team, and I feel that this needs to change. I have teamed up with thetntpotato to create a community event that will hopefully solve this problem. TNT and I have spent a large amount of time working collaboratively on this event, and we will release it when we are ready. 

Staff Team

Despite Pel being the Staff Admin, I will be working alongside him to improve as much of the staff team as I can, These include events such as reassessments, improved staff application systems and other small changes.

Integrating Avicus into Full 1.8

I've talked with Kylo. That's all I can give you ;>

This is all I would like to announce for now. 

Thank you for reading.

Feel free to leave suggestions and comments below.

We'll be updating the community from time to time with these threads, so stay tuned for more.

Regards,

Midnite and Pel.

GrapeSmoothie November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

neat

ItzAidan November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Awesome!

HugoJ8a November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Great!

Arigenn November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Awesome, thanks for continuing these updates! ^-^

TheTNTPotato November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Am famous !!

Hope to see great things from you two, though. :3 Our little project will hopefully be a nice start. x)

NovaLikesPvP November 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM UTC

Advertising should be a really "new" important project for new Admins..

LemonLime_x November 6, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

I like the new punishment system but I think it should be trialed before it's implemented fully, because the same punishments for every crime might be too harsh for some crimes but too lenient for others. Looking forward to seeing all the new changes , good luck guys

vladthegreat100 November 6, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Woah nelly, from a kick to a 3 day ban! 
Why not just keep it like we got and have a set ban format for each infraction, have some share them like we have now?
Especially going to a 3 day ban directly from a kick is pretty drastic.
May not be for all punishments but:
Swearing - Not good - Pretty harsh for something your gonna hear in life
Abuse/Racism/Homophobia - Good - Don't be abusive or racist or homophobic kids. Will get you nowhere in life.. Unless your in the KKK, then a few people will like you.
Team Griefing - Not good - Sure, people grief and troll, but what will you do. Would probably end up banning half or more of the current player count.
Spamming - not good - omg, a little spam, where gonna die, it seems like most stuff that are in chat are spammy lately. Keep it small for first 4 infractions and then go to days
Hacking - Not good - Go permanent, those kids don't deserve to play the game.
Multiple Infractions - Not Good - Keep only 2, a month or so ban and then permanent ban

Jahaj November 6, 2015 at 3:11 AM UTC

I don't think all of the punishments should be made the same, but I agree that they should be simplified a little. (The ones that I am not mentioning should stay the same.)
Just simplifying the rules a bit, because different rules that they break require some different punishments.

Subscriptor November 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

I really dont understand whats the purpose of punishing for caps, if its not excessive, i see no purpose in punishing for an example "OMG I FELL TO THE VOID WITH MY DIAMOND ARMOR"
Other than that update looks good

SnowSX3 November 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

I'm not a fan of almost all punishments following the same punishment system.

In an attempt to reduce bureaucracy and confusion you've made the majority of punishment layouts the exact same.

Which isn't good in my opinion because every punishment is different.
Every situation if different.

You shouldn't generalise infraction issuing.
It's a lazy and confusing practice.

But that's just my two cents.

PieZ November 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

In an attempt to reduce bureaucracy and confusion you've made the majority of punishment layouts the exact same.

Wow. I agree with you.

GuyNamedRiley November 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

+1 to this idea.

SmokeJamo November 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM UTC

LOL can get perm banned for spam avicus will die in 3 days if this happens

Vobaseball12 November 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM UTC

I personally like the punishment system how it is. If you're on enough, you eventually learn it, and don't need to use it much. Also, I would just like any type of hacking to be a perm ban because if you are using hacks, you still have an advantage over the other players no matter how small or large that advantage is. Opinions?

Posighdun November 6, 2015 at 12:11 PM UTC

Honestly i feel the punishment system is fine how it is. Maybe a couple of punishments need to be redone but overall the system is good in my opinion.

TheTNTPotato November 6, 2015 at 12:11 PM UTC

I may as well clarify on how the new proposed punishment system would work, since I've been using it for almost a year now.

Hacks such as KillAura, Fly, Speed, etc. would still be a permanent ban. They are an example of rules that would skip kick/3d ban/etc.. Not all offenses skip this, but a lot of them do. Another example is Derp/ToggleSneak; My guess is they will go 7 day -> Permanent ban. Excessive Infractions will most likely stay the same.

The more serious offenses will stay very similar to how they are now (although we may modify them to be more lenient/strict), and the rest will have this system. Very minor offenses such as spamming and using caps will probably have some shorter bans inbetween the 3d -> 7d -> permanent ban, but we're not going to change it too much for that (9 offenses for accusing others of hacking? I find that too frustrating, and too difficult to remember).

This overall makes things much easier for the staff, therefore making us much more efficient. I've supported this for a long time, since it is what I'm used to. I can understand why people would not like it, but it'll be great in the long run.

BlueShadic November 6, 2015 at 12:11 PM UTC

I may as well clarify on how the new proposed punishment system would work, since I've been using it for almost a year now.

Hacks such as KillAura, Fly, Speed, etc. would still be a permanent ban. They are an example of rules that would skip kick/3d ban/etc.. Not all offenses skip this, but a lot of them do. Another example is Derp/ToggleSneak; My guess is they will go 7 day -> Permanent ban. Excessive Infractions will most likely stay the same.

The more serious offenses will stay very similar to how they are now (although we may modify them to be more lenient/strict), and the rest will have this system. Very minor offenses such as spamming and using caps will probably have some shorter bans inbetween the 3d -> 7d -> permanent ban, but we're not going to change it too much for that (9 offenses for accusing others of hacking? I find that too frustrating, and too difficult to remember).

This overall makes things much easier for the staff, therefore making us much more efficient. I've supported this for a long time, since it is what I'm used to. I can understand why people would not like it, but it'll be great in the long run.
If you hack it should be perm, doesn't matter what it is, why should you be lenient if they took the time to download the client and use it in game?

hasl November 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM UTC

Just refine the punishment guidelines spreadsheet that Dustin created. Rather be specific and take a while to learn than basic and 5 seconds to understand...

TheTNTPotato November 6, 2015 at 8:11 PM UTC

If you hack it should be perm, doesn't matter what it is, why should you be lenient if they took the time to download the client and use it in game?
Half the time the players don't use hacks such as Derp to gain an advantage, but rather just to be silly. If they use other hacks such as fly and speed alongside Derp, then we'll permanently ban them for those other hacks as well as Derp. This isn't to say that ToggleSneak is used only to be silly, but even it is still rather minor compared to hacks such as Fly and KillAura, hence the short ban.

Spoookeh November 6, 2015 at 8:11 PM UTC

Sounds good and staff Q&A finally, thanks for the update guys!

Dyspa November 7, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Pel's grammar made me want to rip off my organs.

Midnightstorm November 7, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Midnite I love you

Jotrexwitz November 7, 2015 at 2:11 AM UTC

you should make a  a part in the website listing all the staff members because i don't know all of them and it would be pretty useful

Eteh November 7, 2015 at 2:11 AM UTC

you should make a  a part in the website listing all the staff members because i don't know all of them and it would be pretty useful
Here. 

DaFrozenBlaze November 7, 2015 at 5:11 AM UTC

It's at the bottom right of the website.

Chief_Hacks November 7, 2015 at 9:11 PM UTC

RIP Pel.

iiDarudePvP November 8, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Congrats Vice on admin!!!!1211!1

AIDSquirt November 8, 2015 at 1:11 AM UTC

Love the new site

Capenage November 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM UTC

What's happening..

DaFrozenBlaze November 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM UTC

idek