Avicus Archive

Map-Making Rubric! [Map Dev look please] by NuclearDucky June 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM UTC

We should have a rubric for people who want to make maps. Sometimes, they spend 3 months on maps, only for them to be denied! Please create a thing that tells us what our map needs and ways to make it look good! This would help many creators build beautiful maps!

-NuclearDucky

San_David June 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM UTC

This sounds like a great idea! Perhaps the categories could be like... Detail, Playability, Originality, and whatnot?

NuclearDucky June 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM UTC

Exactly! Thanks for feedback.

Netuxx June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Good idea ;)
+1

clownstripe June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Good Idea I like it.

Phobiaxx June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

awesome idea! :)
+5

ViceTechnicolour June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

:L

Generally any map really works unless it looks like it was made in an hour. I don't really see a need for this because I feel like the community, like the other threads, would never follow it. I mean, maybe in my free time me and the dev team can work out a little rubric, but the main elements are gameplay, aesthetics, originality, and concept. We want players to be creative, that's really it. 

Phobiaxx June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Erm, is their a bounds for creativity? Becuz the map I'm working on atm is extremely..... unique(the gameplay is completely different from generic nebula) could it be denied for that?

Awarrior June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

3 months for a map... ._.

Netuxx June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Erm, is their a bounds for creativity? Becuz the map I'm working on atm is extremely..... unique(the gameplay is completely different from generic nebula) could it be denied for that?
Uhhhh can i see it? :3

NuclearDucky June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Awarrior i was exaggetating lol 

And thanks for the feedback everyone! Especially Para

ViceTechnicolour June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Actually, can I see the thread that took 3 months to make just be denied? I mean.. there's a difference if it was made 3 months ago but just not replied to.

NuclearDucky June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Para i didnt literally mean 3 months, im just saying some people take a very long time on their maps. :l

Ogrey June 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM UTC

Welp, I remember when I was just a regular, my first map was Justice.
I didn't take too much time on it, cause my friends UniqueAir and Meowfrees helped me making it, and we were so happy to see it got accepted!
I tried making a map of my own, named Evocus. It got denied by no reason whatsoever (not specified in the post, however I could tell it was bad haha, that was back in my nubby days) and it did take some time to be made.
Later on I spend a whole night (I didn't sleep) making Svargrond, a 4 teamed Nebula map but the comments weren't that good...
What am I trying to tell you with this?
Never give up.
Your map got denied?
Keep trying.
Denied again?
Try again. Never give up.
I never gave up, stood strong, looked for building tips, trained myself.
Look at me now, I've become a Map Developer.
I never thought I'd make it this far!
Maps need to be original, take your time on team, image the gameplay it would have, think twice before releasing it, add more things, add detail, shape, structures.
There's over 100 blocks, I'm pretty sure you guys know what to do with them. Just use your creativity and impress us :)

Netuxx June 1, 2014 at 3:06 AM UTC

Welp, I remember when I was just a regular, my first map was Justice.
I didn't take too much time on it, cause my friends UniqueAir and Meowfrees helped me making it, and we were so happy to see it got accepted!
I tried making a map of my own, named Evocus. It got denied by no reason whatsoever (not specified in the post, however I could tell it was bad haha, that was back in my nubby days) and it did take some time to be made.
Later on I spend a whole night (I didn't sleep) making Svargrond, a 4 teamed Nebula map but the comments weren't that good...
What am I trying to tell you with this?
Never give up.
Your map got denied?
Keep trying.
Denied again?
Try again. Never give up.
I never gave up, stood strong, looked for building tips, trained myself.
Look at me now, I've become a Map Developer.
I never thought I'd make it this far!
Maps need to be original, take your time on team, image the gameplay it would have, think twice before releasing it, add more things, add detail, shape, structures.
There's over 100 blocks, I'm pretty sure you guys know what to do with them. Just use your creativity and impress us :)

Lol, nice tips.
P.D: Evocus xD

Phobiaxx June 1, 2014 at 3:06 AM UTC

xD Evocous
netox, its part of alex's server, its a bit confusing.... I'll show you around it sometime