Avicus Archive

Community Discussion (Bout' Departments) by Iron January 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM UTC

Do you guys think that moderators should be selected/chosen by department heads to assist in the duties that the seniors perform? I have suggested this on slack a few times, however I want ask you lads!

(DONT HATE ANYONE ITS MY IDEA)

let the games begin.

resepignev January 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM UTC

Yes.
(Adding explanation later <3)

AstroPizza January 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM UTC

You guys are a big enough team to work together on everything. 
Seniors are heads of their department , that's different. There's enough of you guys without having to make it more complex.

ClubberNugget January 11, 2016 at 6:01 PM UTC

I think that the head of the department should be able to have a few assistants, it makes it so more people have the right information, players have been having trouble getting the correct information when asking staff because only one or two people know the correct answer. but if assistants are added, that is more people who would know the correct answer.

Plus if a senior stepped down, they've got someone who has knowledge of the department already and could be a probable senior candidate for the vacant spot and take over as the head of that department.  It would cause more continuity in the departments and ultimately bring more progress.

So a definite +1 from me

ImNotYourTiger January 11, 2016 at 6:01 PM UTC

I think this server needs more teamwork and no more of "I'm a higher rank thank you so I'm more important" act. There are mods who have great ideas and can benefit the server in many ways. So I think yes, they should assist.

rinn January 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM UTC

I'm all for it. In fact, I'll put an @group message in Senior Staff slack asking others' opinions. This gives Mods a little bit more responsibility, a taste of Senior Staff work, and close relationships with Senior Staff members.

PieZ January 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM UTC

I have been put in charge of departments that are not really covered by the Sr staff but it is still part of the server and someone has to do it. I do not want mods put in place just because they are a mod and want something to do. I only want people that can handle the situation and do it right.

rinn January 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM UTC

I have been put in charge of departments that are not really covered by the Sr staff but it is still part of the server and someone has to do it. I do not want mods put in place just because they are a mod and want something to do. I only want people that can handle the situation and do it right.
Yeah, it most likely wouldn't be random assignments at all.

vladthegreat100 January 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM UTC

It should be focused to train moderators correctly before putting certain moderators to assist in Sr Staff Jobs.
There is a reason why Sr Moderators and Moderator are different positions.
Mods are here to moderate all platforms of avicus & make sure all rule breakers get punished.
Sr Staff are partially there for the moderating part but have other behind the scene jobs that are meant to be kept private until spoken of.
Not a fan of this idea at all :| 
Sorry.

hasl January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

I recommend a mentor per department to be an 'apprentice' if you like.

SnowSX3 January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

That would be good.
You could put experienced Moderators in this position and use it as a stepping stone between Mod and Sr Mod.

ClubberNugget January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

Yeah I think that's good.

I do see vlads point though, mods moderate, not run the server, but more experienced mods should get prepped for Sr mod if they could potentially get it

Newcleus January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

I'd love to teach Mods about TeamSpeak permissions in-depth, as long as I don't put you to sleep.

Knowledge is power, after all.

As far as departments, however, I wouldn't recommend the idea.

Administrafer January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

I disagree with this. There is a reason why senior moderator is a different rank to moderator - because they do seperate work. As vlad stated above; it should be kept seperate.

Aerosmith January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM UTC

I'm all for it. In fact, I'll put an @group message in Senior Staff slack asking others' opinions. This gives Mods a little bit more responsibility, a taste of Senior Staff work, and close relationships with Senior Staff members.
Hi

GrapeSmoothie January 12, 2016 at 12:01 AM UTC

Well currently mentors are already just that. Iron you are one of them.

DaFrozenBlaze January 12, 2016 at 12:01 AM UTC

Why not, not all mods, only a certain number.

Howsie January 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM UTC

I thought this was the point? The 'departments' should be task forces. A group of people working towards a goal. No wonder I was antsy about the choices, the 'senior staff departments' are just responsibilities for each member.