Avicus Archive

What's the rule on bumping threads? by SnowSX3 September 28, 2014 at 5:09 AM UTC

I have seen some threads are locked because someone commented on it a few days after the last post.
The thing is that it was on topic, there was really no need for the thread to be locked.

I always thought that commenting on old threads was OK as long as your comment is constructive towards the thread.

Bumping threads with irrelevant comments isn't allowed.
Bumping threads while contributing to the thread is OK.

Am I correct? Or have I been misinformed?

D00ZiE September 28, 2014 at 5:09 AM UTC

You are correct.

SnowSX3 September 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM UTC

You are correct.
On that note, I have seen a thread being locked just because it was bumped, but the comment was relevant...
Perhaps the Jrs need to make sure they know the rules correctly?
Not being a dick, just suggesting.

ballzi September 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM UTC

Well bring back old topic will make it a bit spammy. Think of it as a debate within a debate, when you bump topics.

SnowSX3 September 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM UTC

Well bring back old topic will make it a bit spammy. Think of it as a debate within a debate, when you bump topics.
It's not really spam if the comment is contributing to the discussion though.

Riskayyy September 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM UTC

You may bump a thread if the comment contributes to the thread. If it's completely useless, then it should be locked.

SnowSX3 October 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM UTC

This has happened again with a recent topic about Minecraft being purchased.

I have seen to many topics being locked simply because someone bumped a thread even though they were contributing to the thread.

Moderators need to learn that bumping topics is OK as long as it's contributing to the thread.

To many moderators lock threads simply because it has been bumped, had they cared to read the post, many threads would still be up today.

The_Detonator_ October 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM UTC

Also to add on, locking a thread may not necessarily be because the post is a large bump and does not contribute. It could be that it was a large bump and it very very relevant to the thread, but the thread itself is redundant.
e.g. "Minecraft 1.6 is released! Name all the features you have found!", and someone were to say that there are some very pretty horses.
Very relevant to the topic, yes, but the topic itself is completely redundant.

SnowSX3 October 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM UTC

Also to add on, locking a thread may not necessarily be because the post is a large bump and does not contribute. It could be that it was a large bump and it very very relevant to the thread, but the thread itself is redundant.
e.g. "Minecraft 1.6 is released! Name all the features you have found!", and someone were to say that there are some very pretty horses.
Very relevant to the topic, yes, but the topic itself is completely redundant.
Although that may be true, I have seen moderators lock threads with the reason that it was bumped and not because the thread was out of date.

This is why I started this thread, to address the problem towards the moderators.

The_Detonator_ October 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM UTC

Although that may be true, I have seen moderators lock threads with the reason that it was bumped and not because the thread was out of date.

This is why I started this thread, to address the problem towards the moderators.
That's true, but in the op, you were also asking for clarification, at least, I interpreted it as.

IamSUPERMAN2007 October 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM UTC

http://avicus.net/forums/6a7a08003?page=4

Umm what?