Avicus Archive

Staff & Community Development Update by rinn February 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Hey all,

The Administration Team has decided to give you guys weekly updates on what the staff team is up to. We've divided our work to focus on one or two projects per week, and we'll alternate which one of us makes this post each Sunday. 

Policy/Rule Updates:
We've focused this week on reworking and adding some policies and rules due to complaints and suggestions from users. They can be seen in this thread.

Appeal System:
Due to the lack of efficiency with our previous appeal system, we've decided to change a few things within it. Thanks to Javipepe for the idea! The details of the system may be seen in this thread.

Staff Assignment System:
Senior Moderators have been assigned to specific mentors in order to give them feedback and train them. Mentors have been assigned to groups of mods (between 2-4) in order to do the same thing. Staff members have been working in these groups to improve relations within the team, as well as receive a bit of training and tips. 

Moderator Training System(s):
PieZ has developed a training system for Moderators that works in divisions of weeks. Each week, Moderators who have volunteered to participate in this long-term training system will be given a different task/training aspect that is centered towards life and social skills, in order to apply them to their moderation skills as well. GrapeSmoothie has developed a smaller training system focused on general moderation tips that is designed to be brief and to "polish up" moderation skills. 

Hack-Detection Training:
We will be releasing an official hack-dection training group for all staff members. This group will watch over other moderators, and if they feel the moderator needs to improve their skills, they will pull them over and teach them how to detect an assortment of different modifications and hacks. A moderator may also approach the group and request for a training session. This group will consist of PieZ, Stimulating, and Tazz. A Senior Staff member will guide this group.

New Senior Moderators:
It's about that time, isn't it? We plan to promote a few Moderators to Senior Moderator soon. We have recommendations as to who we would like in the position, but we plan to conduct interviews to see where everyone is at. We will announce the interviews officially soon! :)

Promotions/Demotions/Retirements:
-SirCyaniide has returned from retirement as Junior Moderator!
-Auratixx has been reassessed, and has been given Junior Moderator!
-zero9178 has been promoted to Moderator!
-DingDeLaDoggo has been promoted to Moderator!
-Zeusy has returned from retirement as Moderator!
-TheTNTPotato has retired from Senior Moderator. :(
-MidnightBeats has retired from Administrator. :(

Oh, remember this? :))))

Acceqted February 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Cool! Really like the idea of keeping us updated!

_Mx_ February 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Great! 

Senior Mod:

Resepignev. Definitely. One of the kindest and hard working staff I've met who treated me like a friend rather than a random player when I first asked him for help. Couldn't think of anyone better for the role of Senior Mod.

Protel February 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Looks fantastic, appreciate the effort being put forth by our staff-team. :)

vladthegreat100 February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

Looks great, just not too please with one or more of the people that will help in the hack detection training. Not going into detail unless asked in pm about who I'm not happy with as I don't believe the person or people are too ready.

Jahaj February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

Nice to see another update!

Also managers???

Arigenn February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

Nice teaser!

GrapeSmoothie February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

GREG WAS HERE! neato

SnowSX3 February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

FrostedCupcakez and Vobaseball12 need to be Senior Moderators.

ImNotYourTiger February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

The comeback of managers? Let's get it going! 
Resepignev should be senior, just because he has been a moderator for a long time and has a lot of experience in the field, maybe Jahaj or Jive aswell. Keeping community members updated is a great idea, I'm sure lots of people appreciate that

Sads February 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

Damit, TNT left for MCC. :(

GrapeSmoothie February 22, 2016 at 4:02 AM UTC

Damit, TNT left for MCC. :(
She was already staff on MCC & OCN. She retired due to having a work load because of school.

ALM February 22, 2016 at 4:02 AM UTC

GREG WAS HERE! neato
dab

GrapeSmoothie February 22, 2016 at 4:02 AM UTC

dab

hasl February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

Remember the surprises in my senior batch? (Brit, Cole, Porky, Iron and I)

Yeah well expect some this time round.

Peachy you got it all wrong! It's Advisors not Managers. :/

Eteh February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

Nice to see an update from you guys :)

Javipepe February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

:'))))))

faht February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

;)

JDKL February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

Nice c:

__Talus__ February 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

Looks great

DaFrozenBlaze February 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM UTC

Nice

Zeusy February 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM UTC

Love these posts :p
Well done!

Howsie February 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM UTC

Ok. Considering no one is providing any criticism (or even intelligent praises for it apart from 'ye dis gud, thanks for posting' I'll step up. 

I'll make it brief. 
Policy/Rule Updates - This has been blown way out of proportion of what it was meant to be. Its a genuine mess now; its structure, how its written and its repetition or inclusion of a variety of things. 

Appeal System - was there an issue? User sends email. Email gets responded to? As much as I respect you lot want to take your role seriously, they're just people. If they ask to have their ban removed and they've been direct and polite there is little reason (apart from excessive infractions) why they should be rejected. This new 'system' seems like something that'll cause headaches and unnecessary work loads. On the flip side if it isn't doesn't end up causing issues, the problem becomes the issue of so little work to go around; implying too many staff members. The whole system also sounds characteristically robotic and categorical. You should be very aware, Peachy, my opinion on that kind of practice. 

Staff Assignment System - Let me get this straight. You've got moderators who are mentors for senior moderators? Or did I read that incorrectly? 

Moderator Training System - I don't have an issue with this...I guess. >:c But the specifics of moderating should be grounded in common sense. If you're going to do this, at the very least reinforce that. 

Hack-Detection Training - Ditto. I never cared much for this sort of stuff. Much too explicit and sometimes cringeworthy. And thats not a word I throw around EVER. But I am to each there own, if you've somehow come up with a course, more power to you. 

New Senior Moderators - Consider the server population. Please.

I'd love to see more details about this one. 

DaFrozenBlaze February 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM UTC

Not a community update post without Howsie

Howsie February 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM UTC

Not a community update post without Howsie
Mwa <3

steven5703 February 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM UTC

Ok. Considering no one is providing any criticism (or even intelligent praises for it apart from 'ye dis gud, thanks for posting' I'll step up. 

I'll make it brief. 
Policy/Rule Updates - This has been blown way out of proportion of what it was meant to be. Its a genuine mess now; its structure, how its written and its repetition or inclusion of a variety of things. 

Appeal System - was there an issue? User sends email. Email gets responded to? As much as I respect you lot want to take your role seriously, they're just people. If they ask to have their ban removed and they've been direct and polite there is little reason (apart from excessive infractions) why they should be rejected. This new 'system' seems like something that'll cause headaches and unnecessary work loads. On the flip side if it isn't doesn't end up causing issues, the problem becomes the issue of so little work to go around; implying too many staff members. The whole system also sounds characteristically robotic and categorical. You should be very aware, Peachy, my opinion on that kind of practice. 

Staff Assignment System - Let me get this straight. You've got moderators who are mentors for senior moderators? Or did I read that incorrectly? 

Moderator Training System - I don't have an issue with this...I guess. >:c But the specifics of moderating should be grounded in common sense. If you're going to do this, at the very least reinforce that. 

Hack-Detection Training - Ditto. I never cared much for this sort of stuff. Much too explicit and sometimes cringeworthy. And thats not a word I throw around EVER. But I am to each there own, if you've somehow come up with a course, more power to you. 

Hey they have to keep the 12 players who regularly check the rules entertained 

OP: #DingDeLaDoggoForSenior2k16

Howsie February 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM UTC

Hey they have to keep the 12 players who regularly check the rules entertained 

OP: #DingDeLaDoggoForSenior2k16
XD Fucks sake, I nearly spilled my tea mate

hasl February 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM UTC

I'll make it brief. 

Appeal System - They don't send appeals through to the support email, they are dealt with in the "Appeal and Infraction" subforum; this has been the system for a long time. The thread recently posted was just to clear up any confusion, so nothing has really changed.

Staff Assignment System - No, Senior Moderators train the Mentors to 'be the best they can be' who then train a small group of moderators if I remember correctly (I'm on my phone).

Howsie February 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM UTC

Appeal System - They don't send appeals through to the support email, they are dealt with in the "Appeal and Infraction" subforum; this has been the system for a long time. The thread recently posted was just to clear up any confusion, so nothing has really changed.

Staff Assignment System - No, Senior Moderators train the Mentors to 'be the best they can be' who then train a small group of moderators if I remember correctly (I'm on my phone).
Ah. I assumed that you still had to register via the server. 

Who are the mentors? Shouldn't that just be an intrinsic part of the senior moderator team?

resepignev February 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM UTC

Who are the mentors? Shouldn't that just be an intrinsic part of the senior moderator team?
You can register on the website, you just have to join the "register"-server to get an authentication code.

There was a post around new year: https://avicus.net/forums/4fba0121e

TheColdCrafter February 22, 2016 at 3:02 PM UTC

Glad that the staff team is doing things to help progress :D

hasl February 22, 2016 at 4:02 PM UTC

The Mentor Team is around 4-5 moderators I believe, who train newly promoted juniors, for example I was trained by Jive on Saturday just to refresh me and inform me on any new changes since my last appearance in the staff team. The reason they aren't seniors is to just reduce the amount of work I presume. Oh and I heard they can be asked to give their opinion on some topics the senior staff team discussed for further feedback. They might even give votes on staff applications next round, I don't know.

Don't take anything I've said as an official answer. :P

Myv February 22, 2016 at 6:02 PM UTC

Guys, I think you'll all agree that we're actually starting to get somewhere now.

Vobaseball12 February 23, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Hypeeepepe