Avicus Archive

Problems with the Staff Team by Numberz_ October 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

Hi,

Thought it was time for me to make a post like this regarding the problems within the staff team and the server in general along with my ideas of how to fix them. First off, I want to make a quick apology towards the staff team, I have recently acted in a somewhat rude manner in my attempt to “test” staff members on my own to gather some information on how they act in situations. Tested the staff’s new rule set which at least 90% of the community was unaware of, staff members were very inconsistent in this most punished accordingly while others slacked.

I’ve recently experienced both sides of the story and see how it’s being handled by each party (staff vs. community). The staff team is still very unorganized in many ways, seniors lack in their responsibility, if anything happens within the staff team lower staff instantly blame admins. Inconsistency in punishments, Jr Mod applications and trials (main reason I quit), failure to enforce rules on Avicus related services, lack of mod training. The community on the other hand have been very impatient with the staff team and rightfully so, we’ve given so many chance to allow the staff team to change but we continue to head back down the same paths towards corruption.Flame wars and heated discussions on the forums should be allowed (somewhat) if they get out of hand staff member shouldn't be blaming specific members of the community.

My list of main problems regarding the staff team and how they can be fixed:

Bias - I know this is a part of human nature but it can be avoid by allowing all staff members to have a say. Solution: Allow staff members to vote on certain topics such as player reports, locking topics and Jr Mod trials. Admins and senior mods should all get a say in appeals, Jr Mod trials and applications.

Inconsistency- Big factor in my reason to leave, staff team don’t always follow guidelines and make poor choices.

Solution: Make a set list of guides to follow and stick to them, don’t break them for any circumstance.

Rules – Avicus rule set is probably the most confusing one in Minecraft, it’s constantly changing and posts being made to update it.

Solution: Make one centered rule set at https://avicus.net/rules don’t be making dozens of posts with new rules. Keep it nice and simple easy to link to new players, if a major rule is changed like the “swearing is no longer  tolerated” then please make a post regarding the changes to it after the official rules set is updated.

Mentor/Training – This was one of the great things that Michael and Peachy actually made, it worked great, allowing Mods to train Jr Mods and give them feedback about their trial.

Solution: Simple bring it back instruct the present mods to train Jr’s and to help them out as much as possible with their trials. Allow them to vote on the trial of the Jr’s giving more opinions on who should be promoted, making the staff team better.

That’s all I can think of at the moment ;-; I’ll add more if I think of it. Hopefully this counts as being constructive criticism and not being the salt king. Sorry for any spelling mistakes typed this up in a hurry.

SnowSX3 October 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

staff team don’t always follow guidelines
They're called guidelines. Not rules.

The guidelines are there to aid staff members if they are unconfident in handeling situations but they are not meant to be followed 100% of the time because they are rules to follow.
They're guidelines.

Petlas October 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

Could the staff actually read through this, please? Some good points have been made here.

Numberz_ October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

The guidelines are there to aid staff members if they are unconfident in handeling situations but they are not meant to be followed 100% of the time because they are rules to follow.
They're guidelines.
Which some guidelines should always be followed, that way it removes inconsistency and bias.

SnowSX3 October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Which some guidelines should always be followed, that way it removes inconsistency and bias.
They do need to be tightened up.

_Mezzi_ October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Some staff need to loosen their banning and kicking privileges. I have been kicked and warned many times because apparently "holy crap" is a major infraction. Also, I am not further available to appeal my ban. Sorry staff, I am just saying what I've seen from my point of view.

vladthegreat100 October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

They're guidelines.
Your wrong buddy. There was a new "ban guide" made and you know of it giving out what infractions to give under what circumstance the offence given. It gives you the exact punishment, not an estimate like the old one thus it was changed.It was implemented when you were a mod and if you still don't know about it it proves 99's point even more that even the best staff members have their fair share of problems that they don't want to approve of.
The Guidelines: https://avicus.net/forums/09e2758fd

SnowSX3 October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Your wrong buddy. There was a new "ban guide" made and you know of it giving out what infractions to give under what circumstance the offence given. It gives you the exact punishment, not an estimate like the old one thus it was changed.It was implemented when you were a mod and if you still don't know about it it proves 99's point even more that even the best staff members have their fair share of problems that they don't want to approve of.
The Guidelines: https://avicus.net/forums/09e2758fd
Fair call.
tbh, I didn't really follow the guidelines much because I knew what to do.
Not to sound arrogant but I didn't have a lot of problems when issuing out punishments in game.

Having said that, I was one of the few (if not the only staff member) who didn't really look at the guidelines, so my inability to keep up with the guidelines doesn't reflect the staff team as a whole, it was just a me thing.

PieZ October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Spoiler Alert. This post isn't going to help at all. Sorry but you are not capable of doing so with this thread

Numberz_ October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Spoiler Alert. This post isn't going to help at all. Sorry but you are not capable of doing so with this thread
I'm not shocked by that statement. I don't think I've ever seen community ideas imputed.

PieZ October 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

I'm not shocked by that statement. I don't think I've ever seen community ideas imputed.
How about you hand over this job to me and tomorrow I will do something that is shocking

Subscriptor October 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

Ive experienced both sides "staff vs. community"

that's the thing.. it isn't supposed to be staff vs community..

Jotrexwitz October 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

i think block lag need to be solved  and in my opinion there are some excesive rules..
just let it be
and the staff members should be more active on ts

kycrafft October 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

Bias isn't even that big of a problem. What really needs to be focused on is organization and mentoring.

Hypetastic October 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

You got like 15 moderators that's not exactly a good number

SnowSX3 October 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

It's actually a decent number, considering how many people actively go on the server these days.

Administrafer October 14, 2015 at 5:10 AM UTC

I'd just like to mention that majority of the things you've stated actually have been done OR already implemented... especially after you left the staff team.

_Nathy October 14, 2015 at 7:10 AM UTC

Personally I think the staff team gets stuff done which is great. The biggest issue i see is how much ppl change when they become mod. Yes turn the raging at idiots on pubs down, but if they were accepted when they enjoyed ducking around with friends on ts, they should be good enough to stay mod

Chief_Hacks October 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM UTC

I honestly think that this is the 25th post about something like this. It is literally the only topic on the forums right now. I know this has been said many times before but something needs to be done before Avicus spirals down into an even bigger hole. If the only topic that is ever talked is about the problems that Avicus faces, why would anyone want to stay and play. Please no hate, just voicing my opinion.

Numberz_ October 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM UTC

I'd just like to mention that majority of the things you've stated actually have been done OR already implemented... especially after you left the staff team.
I'll believe you when I actually see change.

Administrafer October 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM UTC

I'll believe you when I actually see change.
It's hard to see change if they are internal... For example, mod training. It's somewhat difficult to notice an immediate change. The mentoring system too, it's not an external change but rather a system for promotions and discussions held within the staff channels.

Numberz_ October 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

It's hard to see change if they are internal... For example, mod training. It's somewhat difficult to notice an immediate change. The mentoring system too, it's not an external change but rather a system for promotions and discussions held within the staff channels.
Not really, you would be able to see the change from a community perspective. The way rules are enforced should be slightly similar among all staff members if they follow the guidelines that were being implemented.

BoldAndBrash October 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

Most of this is true except the bias which I haven't seen much of. Maybe some of the junior mod votes seem bias, but other than that I don't see much. 

All the other ones I agree with, and we have actually started training. The sessions are really small, so I hope we can get some more training with extra detail.

Lastly, don't feel like your ideas aren't thought of. Back when I was a regular, I had my brother's gamemode idea put into the repo. I'm looking to bring it back. :^)

You guys asking for SG, it was brought back, but it's dead.

You guys asked for Fluenza to come back as an Admin, and he did after he was invited. :)

AtditC October 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

**** Staff!

REMOVE LAG OMG

**** Staff!

REMOVE LAG OMG
Pretty sure once we update to fully 1.8 it'll be gone, Javi and Kylo are currently testing for buggy plugins.

And in the future, I don't think it'd be smart to cuss at someone and then tell them to do something right after. x)

DonaldMyTrump October 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM UTC

They're guidelines.
The guidelines were published to the community. They should be followed.

Pretty sure once we update to fully 1.8 it'll be gone, Javi and Kylo are currently testing for buggy plugins.

And in the future, I don't think it'd be smart to cuss at someone and then tell them to do something right after. x)
Staff doesn't remove lag.

I said like "Don't care about staff!"
Remove the (block) lag should be the first priority above everything else.

Btw, do you know how long it'll take to update completely?

Avicus caps around 40 players. Usually staying in 20's. 15 is just fine, it is how competant a lot of them are that is the issue.

Staff doesn't remove lag.

I said like "Don't care about staff!"
Remove the (block) lag should be the first priority above everything else.

Btw, do you know how long it'll take to update completely?
Devs ARE staff.

And no, you didn't. You said "F*** Staff" which came off as rude. 

Sorry, not sure when it's coming out. :(

Most of this is true except the bias which I haven't seen much of. Maybe some of the junior mod votes seem bias, but other than that I don't see much. 

All the other ones I agree with, and we have actually started training. The sessions are really small, so I hope we can get some more training with extra detail.

Lastly, don't feel like your ideas aren't thought of. Back when I was a regular, I had my brother's gamemode idea put into the repo. I'm looking to bring it back. :^)

You guys asking for SG, it was brought back, but it's dead.

You guys asked for Fluenza to come back as an Admin, and he did after he was invited. :)
SG was poorly made and a bad idea in the first place. Since Jozz got mutinied against he hasn't done much. I hated Jozz early on but was willing to admit he got stuff done. Atm, at least imo, Jozz seems content and willing to let things go and follow the leads of others.

Tbh I feel avicus is at that point where we're too far gone to make a comeback. Im just riding these forums on the way down.
I'll call it.
RIPavicus2k15

Devs ARE staff.

And no, you didn't. You said "F*** Staff" which came off as rude. 

Sorry, not sure when it's coming out. :(
I said "**** staff"
and no, I didn't edit it now.

It might be rude but I meant it the way I told you before

SG was poorly made and a bad idea in the first place. Since Jozz got mutinied against he hasn't done much. I hated Jozz early on but was willing to admit he got stuff done. Atm, at least imo, Jozz seems content and willing to let things go and follow the leads of others.
Yeah, I agree it wasn't made very well, but the community did ask for it. :P
Jozz has done quite a lot of internal stuff like giving the staff weekly newsletters and the community monthly summaries. Hopefully some external stuff can be done too.

Emmaye October 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM UTC

If I had a dollar for every one of these types of threads...

PieZ October 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM UTC

Yeah, I agree it wasn't made very well, but the community did ask for it. :P
Jozz has done quite a lot of internal stuff like giving the staff weekly newsletters and the community monthly summaries. Hopefully some external stuff can be done too.
You and Adit are not helping the problem so please be quiet

Spartemex October 14, 2015 at 1:10 PM UTC

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and in all honesty, any mistake we have instantly gets broken down, harshed on, and bloated by the community. It makes it really hard to improve when we spend all of our time dealing with high levels of toxicity on our services. We are improving, and as Jozz said, a lot of it is internal, so it's hard for you guys to tell how hard we're working on it.

Wahiz October 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM UTC

OH BOY ANOTHER POST COMPLAING ABOUT STAFF NOT LIKE IVE SEEN A BUNCH MORE XD

TheColdCrafter October 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM UTC

Tbh I feel avicus is at that point where we're too far gone to make a comeback. Im just riding these forums on the way down.
I'll call it.
RIPavicus2k15
Most true post I've seen yet

SnowSX3 October 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

The guidelines were published to the community. They should be followed.
Did you actually read what my post said?
They're not rules, they're just guidelines 
ffs xD

Myv October 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

I respect your opinion as I'm sure lots of others do, but tell the staff on Skype, not on forums.

Glitchaye October 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM UTC

ffs xD
And the fact they are guidelines confuses a lot of people.

Cynthesis October 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM UTC

Well, 99, at least this thread isn't very demanding, which I commend.

Though it's been a really long time since I've been active on the server, some changes aren't going to be immediate, or immediately apparent to the rest of the community. Like Jozz said much earlier in the thread, some could be made as we speak (well, type), but we may just not know it. Yet.

Just know this: I bet they are trying to make improvements, and at the very least, the staff aren't ill-willed (well, I hope to God they're not). They mean well, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Emmaye October 14, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

You wouldn't be rich
Yes I would dumbshit. You haven't been around in this community long enough to know the past of posts like this.

DonaldMyTrump October 15, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

ffs xD
Yes, but if they are publicly announced they should be followed. Why would staff tell you their guidelines if they weren't going to be followed?

Colecrc October 15, 2015 at 1:10 AM UTC

Avicus caps around 40 players. Usually staying in 20's. 15 is just fine, it is how competant a lot of them are that is the issue.
LOL what those numbers are wrong unless you're on late.

DonaldMyTrump October 15, 2015 at 1:10 AM UTC

LOL what those numbers are wrong unless you're on late.
Nah most of the day that is the server. Also you're only ever on late.

Zeusy October 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM UTC

totally didnt see this coming