Avicus Archive

Some Ideas. by Vobaseball12 August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

Hello,

I talked to Eric on TS for a bit, and he brought up some good points. I had some of my own opinions, so I decided to make this thread to see what the rest of the community's ideas were. Please put your opinions down below. Thanks.

Eric made a good point. "Why is the skill level of some OCN players greater than the skill of some new Avicus players?". He made points about TNT, and water. "People when they see TNT, they think of 'destroy my teammates' instead of 'strategic cannons'." This made me think. Why do people not know how to use cannons? I'm not talking a Claf here or a whip or sniper (this goes out to all those cannon guys <3) what about a simple whiskey or line cannon? My guess is the lack of TNT on maps. Sometimes, on TNT maps, I make a cannon and soon, people crowd around me in awe. The more people make cannons, the better chance of raising that "skill level" of the new players. What do you need to make cannons? Redstone and TNT. 

I talked to Sli, and mentioned two things. Why don't people make TNT maps, and why do people only make one type of map, really. These two things tie together. 1 reason is that people aren't motivated to make TNT maps because they are too focused on atheistics, and not gameplay as much. Let's take an OCN map for example. SSB, or SpaceShip Battles is a classic map. It does not have many atheistics, but the map is a favorite among regulars and tournament players. Please stop focusing so much on atheistics, and focus more on gameplay. We need more creative maps.I don't mean make the map ugly, but don't make it that the gameplay is so much worse than the looks. Mapdevs, I'm sorry, but don't just accept a map because it looks really nice. Test it vigorously to make the gameplay very important.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you agree with some of me and Eric's points. 

Vobaseball12 August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

Also, why don't we have a contest with maps focused on gameplay, and TNT being a requirement?

ProfessorUtonium August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

Also, why don't we have a contest with maps focused on gameplay, and TNT being a requirement?
We already have the next planned contest. We can't start a contest because the two submissions don't have downloads or YML :(

kycrafft August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

The reason people don't make TNT maps is probably due to the lack of familiarity with them. It's not easy to make a TNT map that plays really well (and even harder to do so if you haven't played many), so sadly it seems that people are hesitant to do it. 

I'd really like to see more cannoning on Avicus.

BmB August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

I'm all for this but the problem i see now is all these suggestions everywhere about bringing new gameplay to Avicus but i feel expectations and targets are being set too high, why not focus on the task at hand, this being the next tournament, get all that sorted out before moving on to another idea. Because the last tourney was a shambles, focus on making this one better before bringing more new concepts and idea's to Avicus.

Take things 1 at a time.

Robin_DD_J August 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM UTC

There is no point having tnt maps. You won't recive kills and the YML doesnt support tnt destorying monuments. I do agree, avicus player are not as good as OCN. But if you if you really want this to work, you need to take it step by step.

Fix the lag.
Fix some maps.
Get proper regions, yml that support new and creative things.
Add two new gamemodes.
Boom, this server is now a god server.

Vobaseball12 August 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM UTC

There is no point having tnt maps. You won't recive kills and the YML doesnt support tnt destorying monuments. I do agree, avicus player are not as good as OCN. But if you if you really want this to work, you need to take it step by step.

Fix the lag.
Fix some maps.
Add two new gamemodes.
I do agree with you, but I feel having good TNT maps is a great option to have, and we can get new yml features to upgrade these maps.

Fouled August 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM UTC

Fix the lag.
Fix some maps.
Add two new gamemodes.
"You won't receive kills and the YML doesn't support tnt destroying monuments"
I'll talk to a developer about that.

Tazz August 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM UTC

line cannon?

Why would you want someone to make a line cannon? It's the most useless cannon LMFAO

Robin_DD_J August 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM UTC

line cannon?

Why would you want someone to make a line cannon? It's the most useless cannon LMFAO
Dont be rude to apollo

kidding, ily  apollo

line cannon?

Ik, but beginners don't know advanced cannons.

Fix the lag.
Fix some maps.
Add two new gamemodes.
I pinged all the devs, and I am really pushing your list you made.

SnowSX3 August 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM UTC

The biggest problem with TNT maps is the extensive amount of team grief that occurs.
Every time a TNT map is being tested, I've always had to end up telling the Map Dev to prematurely end the game due to the high amount of TNT grief.

This isn't an odd occurance too.
I've Moderated many maps which contained a fair amount of TNT and the result is always the same.
There's just too much team grief that occurs.

Jahaj August 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM UTC

The biggest problem with TNT maps is the extensive amount of team grief that occurs.
Every time a TNT map is being tested, I've always had to end up telling the Map Dev to prematurely end the game due to the high amount of TNT grief.

This isn't an odd occurance too.
I've Moderated many maps which contained a fair amount of TNT and the result is always the same.
There's just too much team grief that occurs.
This is true. I remember when I was a Jr. Mod and we tested out a TNT map we needed like 5 mods there to help control the TNT griefers.

dentmaged August 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM UTC

The reason people don't make TNT maps is probably due to the lack of familiarity with them. It's not easy to make a TNT map that plays really well (and even harder to do so if you haven't played many), so sadly it seems that people are hesitant to do it. 

I'd really like to see more cannoning on Avicus.
I'd very happily make a TNT map with someone. I know how to cannon and I know the physics of TNT in Minecraft.

Less tnt = More damage

ImRaging August 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM UTC

Dont be rude to apollo

kidding, ily  apollo
the legoche kid on our team thinks line cannons r 2kool4school. |He's addicted to them

BmB August 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM UTC

Guys fix the current issues before implementing something new and creating more, focus on making this tourney good unlike the failure that was last tourney.