Avicus Archive

October - Monthly Update by Administrafer October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

This October has been hectic, for a multitude of reasons. However it’s a great opportunity to shed some light with the community on what the administrators and senior moderators have been doing behind the scenes! Despite the recent negativity on the forums, we’re hoping to soon improve greatly. That being said, we would love for any hateful comments to remain off this thread. Thanks!

Teamspeak and 18+ channels:

When deleting the 18+ channels, it did state there was a possibility it was a temporary change; however it was obviously dismissed. The senior staff team all copped heavy hate, which we expected. While we haven’t particularly done anything to Teamspeak since, we’re hosting a moderator+ meeting on the 25th, where we will make our final decision whether or not it will be added back.

Other than that, we’re currently working on creating policies that affect the Teamspeak server globally, and not just the channel descriptions. This will avoid confusion for staff and users, which should hopefully decrease the “invalid” infractions.

Advertisement:

Administrafer is currently in the process of scouting for Youtubers, and has already contacted many! We may end up having multiple Youtubers with a solid fanbase, so it’s cheap for us but we still feel the flow of new players. We’re currently attempting to contact more popular users… but I can’t promise anything! While it can be expensive depending on the Youtuber, it’s certainly effective.

Staff training:

Internally, we have been working hard to ensure that each staff member is educated before dealing a punishment, and to have them perform better overall, in hopes to prevent or lessen the amount of false punishments distributed. We also aim to provide more of a confident environment so the moderator in question knows what and what not to do in a situation. We have held these on Teamspeak, and the training ranges from detecting hacks to experiencing them on a first-hand basis.

Weekly discussions

We’re reviving this! Don’t know what it is?! Essentially, Howsie22 used to do this, and it would revolve around a topic set by the administrators and seniors that address issues amongst the community. This thread would then be dedicated to that specific topic! At the end of the week, one of the admins will make an official statement that will update everyone what we’ve done about that topic.

Administrator roles:

Within the last week, Administrafer and I have discussed bringing back designated admin roles. This system has proven to be quite effective in the past (with a few setbacks here and there) however with the current state of the staff team, we have decided it’s best to reassign them. The newly designated roles are listed below:

Head of Staff and Administration - Mango_

Head of Community Relations and Support - Administrafer

The titles and specific roles relating to each role are subject to change, although for now we will be focusing on our own sectors and working on a smooth transition into our new roles. We will still be working together on a large portion of the administration tasks, and these titles do not restrict us to the respective sectors. It is simply for us to designate work in a more efficient manner and inform the community on what we will be individually managing.

Newsletters

We've been doing this for staff, and it's been a huge success - everyone loves it! Currently it's a possibility to alter the way this monthly update is presented, into a newsletter format. It would then allow community writers to add their own columns addressing particular issues (or anything for that matter). Essentially, we're aiming for interaction!

That's all folks! More headings to be edited into the OP (maybe)!

Regards,

Avicus Administrators.

GrapeSmoothie October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

neat

AyyJake October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Sweet.

Porkyyy October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Which YouTubers have you contacted already?

Administrafer October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Which YouTubers have you contacted already?
Will release the confirmed list soon, probably tomorrow!

Zegita October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

keep up the good work tell robin his mother says hello :)

Rainstruck October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Kewl beans!

Coco_stag October 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Wait, when you say youtube how many subs? Like 1000? 10000? 900? What's the average amount of subscribers they have?

Petlas October 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

Brilliant! c:

PieZ October 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

Can you have a meeting with some representatives of the community. It would put more views into problems and a problem can be solved much easier by it

Dyspa October 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

Can you have a meeting with some representatives of the community. It would put more views into problems and a problem can be solved much easier by it
Thought you played OCN only.

PieZ October 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

Thought you played OCN only.
Oh yes. That is why I have playtime on this server, kills, monuments, been in ts, only have a team on avicus.

JOHN_CENAAAAAAAA October 18, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

admin roles were never effective what are you talking about

also, why are you keeping the channels gone if so much of the community wants it? most of the people that hate it don't actually get on ts anyways

ALM October 18, 2015 at 5:10 AM UTC

I have a solution!
Lets make AFK 18+

Numberz_ October 18, 2015 at 5:10 AM UTC

"Head of Staff and Administration - Mango_"
I disagree with this choice big time. No offense to Mango but he's just not active enough at this point in time to be dealing with stuff like this.

MidnightBeats October 18, 2015 at 5:10 AM UTC

neato.

Eteh October 18, 2015 at 6:10 AM UTC

Nice, thanks.

JDKL October 18, 2015 at 6:10 AM UTC

Sweet. Some nice work done there :)

ImRaging October 18, 2015 at 6:10 AM UTC

Yus!

Tazz October 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM UTC

Wait, when you say youtube how many subs? Like 1000? 10000? 900? What's the average amount of subscribers they have?
One has 11000, and that's the minimum. The rest go from 100k to 200k, with 2 with a little over 500k thanks to me gg

Coco_stag October 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM UTC

One has 11000, and that's the minimum. The rest go from 100k to 200k, with 2 with a little over 500k thanks to me gg
WHAT!! Gg avicus

Javipepe October 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM UTC

I disagree with this choice big time. No offense to Mango but he's just not active enough at this point in time to be dealing with stuff like this.
He is, believe me. I'm not sure about his in-game activity but he's definitely very approchable on slack and skype

faht October 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM UTC

Nice

Spoookeh October 18, 2015 at 9:10 AM UTC

Awesome, thanks for the updates!

Jellow_ October 18, 2015 at 9:10 AM UTC

All of this sounds pretty cool :D

Rubikscrafter October 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM UTC

I remember watching a video in which TBNRfrags and Woofless played on Avicus and they have a combined 3mil subs. If we could convince THEM to come back.... well. gg.

DaFrozenBlaze October 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM UTC

I remember watching a video in which TBNRfrags and Woofless played on Avicus and they have a combined 3mil subs. If we could convince THEM to come back.... well. gg.
Woofless has a famous rank gg.

Spartemex October 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM UTC

admin roles were never effective what are you talking about

also, why are you keeping the channels gone if so much of the community wants it? most of the people that hate it don't actually get on ts anyways
We have not seen a majority. Just a small group of people who have been very toxic in the past.

shadowolfyt October 18, 2015 at 3:10 PM UTC

Thanks Jozz for the update :)

JOHN_CENAAAAAAAA October 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM UTC

We have not seen a majority. Just a small group of people who have been very toxic in the past.
yeah ok
like your staff that agree with bringing it back

Colecrc October 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

By small group of people do you mean the TS community? By the way if you were to ask someone who is actually active on TS they would say it's stupid to remove 18+. Most of the staff aren't super active on TS so you really tell us that a majority only want it.

FrostedCupcakez October 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

Sounds good! Thanks for the update (:

Myv October 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

hype

ques October 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM UTC

By small group of people do you mean the TS community? By the way if you were to ask someone who is actually active on TS they would say it's stupid to remove 18+. Most of the staff aren't super active on TS so you really tell us that a majority only want it.
"What do you mean we can't deal drugs?! Everyone loves doing that, the whole 'community'!!! Why can't the cops just leave us alone, you're never even in area!!!" That's essentially your argument. If a rule is being broken, the people in charge have the responsibility to fix it. If you don't like the fix, I don't know what to tell you; grow up maybe?

PieZ October 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM UTC

I would like to point out how annoyed I am with this. Not the idea or if it would be shot down but how it was handled. I was not notified if it was a good or bad idea. I saw a lot of staff who were higher ups look at this thread and if they handled this thread right they would of looked at every post. Do you know why a huge reason why the community gets mad at the mods? Because it looks like they have no leadership who are supposed to be Sr Mods. Flu has done well but the Sr Mods have done beyond poorly with this aspect. Do not let community members in the dust. We are people two.

Spartemex October 18, 2015 at 8:10 PM UTC

I've brought this up before, and I will do it again.

TheColdCrafter October 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

o snap if avicus starts getting more players I might have to come back

Colecrc October 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

"What do you mean we can't deal drugs?! Everyone loves doing that, the whole 'community'!!! Why can't the cops just leave us alone, you're never even in area!!!" That's essentially your argument. If a rule is being broken, the people in charge have the responsibility to fix it. If you don't like the fix, I don't know what to tell you; grow up maybe?
I can live with the change, but he is saying only a small group wants the channel when it is really the whole TS community and that he doesn't know that it's the whole TS community that wants the channel back.

nintendoboy11 October 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

o snap if avicus starts getting more players I might have to come back
Aren't you already back because it looks like you never left. Did you even leave?

PieZ October 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

I've brought this up before, and I will do it again.
I am extremely thankful for you to respond to me and to tell the community what is happening with this idea

BoldAndBrash October 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM UTC

Agreed 100%!

NovaLikesPvP October 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM UTC

Clap kid

Spoookeh October 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM UTC

Would you be able to link me that video??

ques October 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

I can live with the change, but he is saying only a small group wants the channel when it is really the whole TS community and that he doesn't know that it's the whole TS community that wants the channel back.
Then I have a concern over what you think you need the 18+ channels for. You can still curse to your heart's desire, but if being racist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive to other people is a must for you and the rest of the TS community, then it's no wonder Avicus is having trouble attracting new players that want to stay and actually join the community. No one wants to be a part of something that gets a bad reputation, hell, even Germany apologized for the Holocaust because they were ashamed to be associated with it. I get that that analogy is extreme, but it does apply. It doesn't make sense as to why you'd rather be offensive and deter people away and then turn around and complain about the drop in players that don't want to be around that, than to be slightly better people and see an increase in people who WANT to stay.

DaFrozenBlaze October 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Nice.

Colecrc October 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM UTC

Then I have a concern over what you think you need the 18+ channels for. You can still curse to your heart's desire, but if being racist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive to other people is a must for you and the rest of the TS community, then it's no wonder Avicus is having trouble attracting new players that want to stay and actually join the community. No one wants to be a part of something that gets a bad reputation, hell, even Germany apologized for the Holocaust because they were ashamed to be associated with it. I get that that analogy is extreme, but it does apply. It doesn't make sense as to why you'd rather be offensive and deter people away and then turn around and complain about the drop in players that don't want to be around that, than to be slightly better people and see an increase in people who WANT to stay.
Woah I never said that I wanted racism, etc. in those channels it's just the excuse for deleting the channel itself and most of the TS community don't make racist and homophobic remarks. Though I do agree that the rules for that channel needs to justified.

TheColdCrafter October 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

Aren't you already back because it looks like you never left. Did you even leave?
Have you seen me on the server? I played for about  minutes today and that's the first time since like I left

PieZ October 19, 2015 at 3:10 AM UTC

Have you seen me on the server? I played for about  minutes today and that's the first time since like I left
You are more active then me on the server in the last 10 days

JOHN_CENAAAAAAAA October 19, 2015 at 4:10 AM UTC

uh

there are 5 other channels for them to go in. if anything, it attracts a more diverse community where people can talk about things that don't make a 10 year old mod scream at you every 2 seconds. if somebody happens to be offended by what is going on in there, they can happily leave into one of the other channels without a problem. 

thank you for your concern

Spartemex October 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM UTC

Woah I never said that I wanted racism, etc. in those channels it's just the excuse for deleting the channel itself and most of the TS community don't make racist and homophobic remarks. Though I do agree that the rules for that channel needs to justified.
The people that weren't making racist and offensive comments would most likely be just fine in a cursing allowed.

Pelpelajax October 19, 2015 at 3:10 PM UTC

Cheers Jozz. Let's see if we can make community requests implemented before the next newsletter!

Rubikscrafter October 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM UTC

Would you be able to link me that video??
Sure thing m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iShmOaDxp4

I was pretty happy when I was that he was playing on this server.

Jake41901 October 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM UTC

Will release the confirmed list soon, probably tomorrow!
Great update, Joel! And I'm replying to your comment so you get the notification; is your Skype still the same? I tried adding you recently, not sure if it worked or not. The web version of Skype is still in Beta, so it may have a few bugs. But yeah, just figured I'd get in touch with you again. It's been quite some time! :)

Spoookeh October 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

Sure thing m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iShmOaDxp4

I was pretty happy when I was that he was playing on this server.

Wow, I never realised he did play on this server, that's awesome!

BoldAndBrash October 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

Wow, I never realised he did play on this server, that's awesome!
Awesome, but sad. He said he'd definitely return...but never did. ;_;

Spoookeh October 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM UTC

Awesome, but sad. He said he'd definitely return...but never did. ;_;
Hm... He's possibly someone we could reach out to seen as he has past experience on the server.

Out2Kill October 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM UTC

Finally, some bloody change.

Rubikscrafter October 21, 2015 at 1:10 AM UTC

Hm... He's possibly someone we could reach out to seen as he has past experience on the server.
Yeah, it would be easier to get someone back on the server than have someone start on Avicus fresh.

Administrafer October 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM UTC

Great update, Joel! And I'm replying to your comment so you get the notification; is your Skype still the same? I tried adding you recently, not sure if it worked or not. The web version of Skype is still in Beta, so it may have a few bugs. But yeah, just figured I'd get in touch with you again. It's been quite some time! :)
Yeah it's still riskayyy_!

Posighdun October 21, 2015 at 9:10 AM UTC

He doesn't come on a lot but he does quite a bit behind the scenes.

Jake41901 October 21, 2015 at 2:10 PM UTC

Yeah it's still riskayyy_!
Alright man, added you! But like I said, the web version of Skype is a little buggy so we'll see how it goes xD But yeah, whenever you're free just hit me up on Skype. <33