Avicus Archive

New Nebula Maps? Why Exactly? by OPTOBAT August 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

Hey guys, before i say ANYTHING about the title, i want to make it specifically clear that this is not a diss against Avicus, i love the server, the mods and the effort everyone produces to keep it a nice place.

BUT, i would just like to know why exactly are so many new maps on Nebula being added.
From the top of my head, i can name about 8 or 9 new maps that have not only been thrown in in the last 2 months but been severely used too, such as Castle Adventure 2 or Campi Erbosi. The problem is, some of them are starting to become over detailed and chunky and are just not a originally fun as Rendezvous or Quintus.

In my opinion, maybe 2 every 5 new maps that are newly added are really fun, like Illegal Office or Wasteland, but the other 3 seem like duds to me.

And yet, i STILL haven't got to my proper question: Why ARE we adding so many new maps in such a short space of time, is there a demand from Mojang or something?

I dunno, im not dissing I'm just curious..

Numberz_ August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

The new maps just kill my fps.

OPTOBAT August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

The new maps just kill my fps.
yeah some get real laggy for me :/

smitdalt August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

I like new maps. If new ones aren't added then I could see people getting bored of the current rotation.

TheMasterCow August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Alright I give up.

I like new maps. If new ones aren't added then I could see people getting bored of the current rotation.
thats a good point, but the thing thats making me ponder is the frequency of it; there are many many maps being added so fast, nearly flooding the hubs with them, and making the original, popular maps a longer wait to play.

Alright I give up.
?

MLGtino August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

This.

Ever tried playing the same map in a gamemode every time you play? So many people get bored, and its excruciating to have the EXACT. SAME. THING. played over and over again.

And btw, you obviously have not been checking the forums recently. So many threads about "AESTHETICS OVER GAMEPLAY I CALL BULLSHIT" and "MAPS NOT ENOUGH DETAIL Y MAP DEVS PLS". To be quite honest, it would humor me to have you sit in their position for 1 month and see how much criticism they face because players give the silliest opinions about something. Its opinion, not fact. Some people want more detail, some want less. You want less detail? Keep playing in the McZone rots, because those maps are classic and original without the new modern detail they're adding. I am actually going to cry if you say "but the maps in mczone get old becuz they add no new ones :("

I seriously cannot. I just can't.

This.

Ever tried playing the same map in a gamemode every time you play? So many people get bored, and its excruciating to have the EXACT. SAME. THING. played over and over again.

And btw, you obviously have not been checking the forums recently. So many threads about "AESTHETICS OVER GAMEPLAY I CALL BULLSHIT" and "MAPS NOT ENOUGH DETAIL Y MAP DEVS PLS". To be quite honest, it would humor me to have you sit in their position for 1 month and see how much criticism they face because players give the silliest opinions about something. Its opinion, not fact. Some people want more detail, some want less. You want less detail? Keep playing in the McZone rots, because those maps are classic and original without the new modern detail they're adding. I am actually going to cry if you say "but the maps in mczone get old becuz they add no new ones :("

I seriously cannot. I just can't.
no i understand that part man, but there are so many maps being added FREQUENTLY, like nearly flooding the hubs as i said to another guy. 
I just wanna know why so many are being added in a short space of time because now, with everyone currently enjoying the original maps, it is getting harder to find them in the available time people have, and we have to wait longer to play our favourite maps.. thats all
Also im not against people wanting more detail because i DID make it explicit that its my opinion not an order, as if I'm the hitler of Avicus forums for christ sake.

TheMasterCow August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

?

hint

hint
I'm even more confused haha
you're giving up moderator or something, i dunno man :/

MLGtino August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

no i understand that part man, but there are so many maps being added FREQUENTLY, like nearly flooding the hubs as i said to another guy. 
I just wanna know why so many are being added in a short space of time because now, with everyone currently enjoying the original maps, it is getting harder to find them in the available time people have, and we have to wait longer to play our favourite maps.. thats all
Also im not against people wanting more detail because i DID make it explicit that its my opinion not an order, as if I'm the hitler of Avicus forums for christ sake.
The frequency is based on how fast people post maps. Think about this. 

Let's say 3 people post maps on the forums. Evocal and Cow think they're quality and add them to the testing. They get tested and are added into the rotations. 

Now about 4 more good maps are on the forums. Are the devs supposed to ignore those? Maybe accept them and keep them in the map testing forever? Like I said, there are only 2 of them, which means theres on X amount of efficiency they can handle. Don't get me wrong they do their job very well, but everyone has a breaking point. If they just ignore all these good maps, they become lost in the forums, they become subject to change, the owners may have to keep bumping the topic and get angry at the devs. Think of the possibilities.

Its also not a bad idea to offer suggestions instead of ranting. Tell them how they can improve in detail instead of just stating "FREQUENCY FREQUENCY FREQUENCY".

smitdalt August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

thats a good point, but the thing thats making me ponder is the frequency of it; there are many many maps being added so fast, nearly flooding the hubs with them, and making the original, popular maps a longer wait to play.
Maybe on certain rotations, yes, but there are still the MCZone rotations if those are the maps you want to play. There are also lots of servers for each rotation, so you could always try to start one of those if there is a certain map you want to play.

The frequency is based on how fast people post maps. Think about this. 

Let's say 3 people post maps on the forums. Evocal and Cow think they're quality and add them to the testing. They get tested and are added into the rotations. 

Now about 4 more good maps are on the forums. Are the devs supposed to ignore those? Maybe accept them and keep them in the map testing forever? Like I said, there are only 2 of them, which means theres on X amount of efficiency they can handle. Don't get me wrong they do their job very well, but everyone has a breaking point. If they just ignore all these good maps, they become lost in the forums, they become subject to change, the owners may have to keep bumping the topic and get angry at the devs. Think of the possibilities.

Its also not a bad idea to offer suggestions instead of ranting. Tell them how they can improve in detail instead of just stating "FREQUENCY FREQUENCY FREQUENCY".
okay i hear you man, and to be honest i think i agree, but i wasn't just ranting, i was simply inquiring and trying to understand. Like you, i did say i appreciate the staff before anything else, but now i understand.
Thanks for being detailed and logical as well, others may have just gone off their heads at me.
Anyway thanks man :)

Maybe on certain rotations, yes, but there are still the MCZone rotations if those are the maps you want to play. There are also lots of servers for each rotation, so you could always try to start one of those if there is a certain map you want to play.
ohhhhh okay i get it :)
alright then, thanks guys, i understand now :)

Robin_DD_J August 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

So this is just my thoughts, we shouldnt add to many new maps, but a few. And thye shouldnt either be too detailed. but still a little. You need to kinda balance it! Because I know people with low fps aren't the biggest fans off too detailed maps!

So this is just my thoughts, we shouldnt add to many new maps, but a few. And thye shouldnt either be too detailed. but still a little. You need to kinda balance it! Because I know people with low fps aren't the biggest fans off too detailed maps!
i totally agree with you man :) I think adding new maps is fine, but too many is like an overload...
anyways have a good one :)