Avicus Archive

A Poll of Terminology by Elly September 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM UTC

Hey guys, I have a little bit of a situation. 

I'm working on a little feature for something (doesn't matter, yet). It requires me to define the terminology for positions that players can take the role of during a game. Obviously, there are offenders and defenders, but what do you prefer to call people that stay at the middle of the map, helping the defenders to fight off rushers and helping the offense to take control of sky bridge or kill the opposing defenders? I've known for there to be several terms in the past, so please vote at this poll! 

POLL

SnowSX3 September 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM UTC

Personally, I would call it a 'Midfielder' but I'm not apart of the Tournament community so I'm probably completely wrong xD

Eklip_Z September 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM UTC

Personally, I would call it a 'Midfielder' but I'm not apart of the Tournament community so I'm probably completely wrong xD
I was thinking that as well. Probably because of how most sports define those who play in the middle as midfielders so it just rolls over to this circumstance.

dev_revs September 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM UTC

Yeah Midfielder seems like the best term.

Legoche September 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM UTC

Depends on the map Front liners/midliners work for most maps

felipu_feliu October 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM UTC

You are awesome elly!

ElementalAssasin October 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM UTC

well it depends on what the midfielders role is. If he is helping out the defenders there mainly called support, if there just staying strictly mid i'd call em midfielders/midliners and well front liners to help out the rushers, but i think midfielders works well overall

LFT October 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM UTC

Support usually stay back and help defenders. Midliners & Frontlines usually go and play towards middle of map and help rushers come back and make calls for defenders. I would call it a Midliner but I see Midliner & Support as two different things.

_Nathy October 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM UTC

I'll use rendezvous 3 as an example for what I personally define the positions as:

I see a support as someone behind spawn crafting armor, helping defenders build their defences or editing those side things whether that be breaking them completely, only taking the roof off, or putting down pressures plates, etc. This way they are doing something and in relatively close proximity to defenders if they need help from a surprise tunneller or a rusher that slips through mid.

Midliners and frontliners to me generally mean the same thing and they're the ones at the front of their teams side, shooting arrows, building a bridge/skybridge, etc..  They can be offensive (Pushing, distracting for rushers) or defensive (Holding back rushers or skybridges, archer tower maybe)

Seuthy October 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM UTC

i was going to write an essay in a joking sense and then i got bored so hi

Elly October 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

Support usually stay back and help defenders. Midliners & Frontlines usually go and play towards middle of map and help rushers come back and make calls for defenders. I would call it a Midliner but I see Midliner & Support as two different things.
How would you distinguish between Midliners and Support players in a public match?

Elly October 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

I'll use rendezvous 3 as an example for what I personally define the positions as:

I see a support as someone behind spawn crafting armor, helping defenders build their defences or editing those side things whether that be breaking them completely, only taking the roof off, or putting down pressures plates, etc. This way they are doing something and in relatively close proximity to defenders if they need help from a surprise tunneller or a rusher that slips through mid.

Midliners and frontliners to me generally mean the same thing and they're the ones at the front of their teams side, shooting arrows, building a bridge/skybridge, etc..  They can be offensive (Pushing, distracting for rushers) or defensive (Holding back rushers or skybridges, archer tower maybe)
If a support player is essentially helping the defenders build up their defenses, how does that make them different from a defender?

LFT October 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

How would you distinguish between Midliners and Support players in a public match?
In a public match hmm, maybe the ones helping defenders build / guard their defense until it is built then go up a bit more but stay back enough to watch the defense and make calls

midliner would be somebody who plays in the center of the map pretty much like a Frontliner

DaFrozenBlaze October 1, 2016 at 3:10 AM UTC

i was going to write an essay in a joking sense and then i got bored so hi
hi

DonaldMyTrump October 1, 2016 at 5:10 AM UTC

Support: builds various helpful structures, crafts armor for the group and helps defenders

Frontliners: Play aggressive, make pushes and rush when given a chance.

Midfielders: Focus on pvping and holding various spots of tactical importance.

hasl October 1, 2016 at 6:10 AM UTC

On certain maps there are floaters who rotate to either left or right, but in pub then yeah Midliners.