Avicus Archive

Swearing rules loosened, revised exploit rule by gobernment December 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM UTC

What changed?
Today, the staff have revised the ruleset to allow swearing as long as it isn't excessive or directed. This is pretty much the same as it was before swearing was made illegal, and we encourage the staff to update to this new update as we update swearing guidelines and inform the staff to not punish off of it. All active swearing punishments before the rule was updated are still going to be active, as the rule was broken when it was active regardless. As well as this, we will have a senior staff member work on a more uniform document on which swearing words may be legal, and which ones may be illegal. More about the swearing rule is not set in stone, however for the future we may have more open debates about it. As well as this change, we have defined exploits better. Under this, we have mentioned severity, exploits in gaining advantage, and more of an "instance" view. It was to differentiate between small-scale abuse such as block glitching, and being able to, say, teleport other users into the void.

Why would you revise it?
We revised it because it was causing more harm than it was helping. I don't believe in "hiding harmful words" on the internet, especially since (taking a gander) that a majority of our playerbase is teenagers, and from that, I can tell alone that most are okay with swearing being possible. Censorship is one thing I don't want Avicus to turn into.

What next?
Feel free to suggest rule changes in this thread, and discuss it further.

Capenage December 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM UTC

gg

dentmaged December 18, 2015 at 12:12 AM UTC

Is this time to say, "FUCK YES"?

Wahiz December 18, 2015 at 1:12 AM UTC

Is this time to say, "FUCK YES"?
Yes it is my friend

hasl December 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM UTC

Wew, about time it was revised to the previous rules.
Nice!

Subscriptor December 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM UTC

Nice, wait so that means now names with swearing in it are allowed as well? (of course not directed or something)

Administrafer December 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM UTC

Rather curious, could you list a multitude of examples which shed some light on different contexts on swearing? Is it just a streamlined system? (if it includes word X no matter what it'll be illegal).

SmokeJamo December 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM UTC

Good the old rules were idiotic and I was banned for a month because of fucjing young kids, their going to hear swearing in their life.

Wahiz December 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM UTC

Good the old rules were idiotic and I was banned for a month because of fucjing young kids, their going to hear swearing in their life.
This is not gonna help your situation Jamo. The old rules weren't idiotic they were put in place because Minecraft is a little kids game pretty much, and swearing and getting angry at the mods because they punished you and your mad you got banned. What do you think was gonna happen when you got all of those infractions? A cupcake and a super hero sticker? No a temp ban. Sorry Lad but thats the way she goes...

Sevoo December 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM UTC

Oh look, staff is finally getting their shit together. 

Should I be the one to say? Finally.

It's nice to see you guys are listening to my complaints, thank you.

Indicado December 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM UTC

cool

Myv December 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM UTC

Without trying to be rude, this is what I think should and shouldn't be allowed.

Allowed

Cr*p
Sh*t
Bit*h (unless otherwise stated)
D*ck
Boll*cks

Not allowed

F*ck
D*ckhead
Cu*t
Ni**er (this is racism too)
Reta*d

anything else?

dentmaged December 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM UTC

Without trying to be rude, this is what I think should and shouldn't be allowed.

Allowed

Cr*p
Sh*t
Bit*h (unless otherwise stated)
D*ck
Boll*cks

Not allowed

F*ck
D*ckhead
Cu*t
Ni**er (this is racism too)
Reta*d

anything else?
Downy,
Autistic,
Basically nicknames for people with diseases.

No racist swear words.

I see nothing wrong with fuck, cunt is alright.

keller183 December 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM UTC

A little late.

DaFrozenBlaze December 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM UTC

Completely banning swearing was a horrible idea in the first place. In fact, some mods didn't even go by that. They still went by "as long as it is not directed a someone"

SmokeJamo December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

This is not gonna help your situation Jamo. The old rules weren't idiotic they were put in place because Minecraft is a little kids game pretty much, and swearing and getting angry at the mods because they punished you and your mad you got banned. What do you think was gonna happen when you got all of those infractions? A cupcake and a super hero sticker? No a temp ban. Sorry Lad but thats the way she goes...
Just think is this, have you ever seen a server perm ban for swearing?

Wahiz December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

Just think is this, have you ever seen a server perm ban for swearing?
No.. But you were banned because you were excessively swearing which built up your infractions so..

Precise_ December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

Fuck yea

UneCookie December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

So I get banned for too many infractions which at least 2 or 3 involve swearing and then they loosen the rule.... g fkn g

UneCookie December 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM UTC

I counted, 8 out of all my infractions are related to rude lagnauge/swearing, does this mean I should be unbanned from excessive infractions considering these make up for about half of my infractions?

gobernment December 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM UTC

I counted, 8 out of all my infractions are related to rude lagnauge/swearing, does this mean I should be unbanned from excessive infractions considering these make up for about half of my infractions?
You will not be unbanned just because something isn't illegal anymore. You broke the rule while it was active.

Coco_stag December 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM UTC

"All active swearing punishments before the rule was updated are still going to be active, as the rule was broken when it was active regardless"

UneCookie December 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM UTC

Oh okay, :( just sad that I cant be there for Christmas. I thought rules would change a ban sorry D:, hope I can still be back from my appeal though :).