Avicus Archive

New Host, Belated Announcements by keenanjt July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Announcements!
It's been a while since I posted an announcement - here's some things that may be news to you. I ramble on. Condensed version below:

tldr; New host, might switch again, idk. New Avicore YAML stuff soon. More development, better development. Tournament wrapping up, it was awesome, more to come!

New Host

We recently moved most of the MC servers over to a new host. Right now we're seeing how they operate here on very different hardware and in a new location. Don't assume anything is set in stone - I'm actually not too happy with how it's working out so we may be looking for more options. We've been cutting some corners to make ends meet, but I'm pleased with how we have progressed despite some difficult pressures that are largely outside our control.

Announcements and Things
I have been working on big changes coming to Avicore soon - YAML enhancements that I have yet to go over with the map devs so that means it may be a ways  out, but it's something to keep in mind. It should add new capabilities that allow for new, unique & custom game types via a simple map.yml file. I know many who are eager to get new games on Avicus and are going out of there way to do so. I'm hoping this makes it much less difficult.

Some new things to hit the credit shop soon, and perhaps new things in the real shop over at avicus.net/shop. We'll have an announcement, don't worry!

Don't forget about the merchandise shop! It's still up.

Oh, and a new dev? Maybe. It's been an interesting process for me learning about the dynamics of group development since I recently took on a job at a software company. It occupies a lot of my time, but luckily I can apply these lessons to how we operate at Avicus. Avicus needs some more organization on the development side more than anything and I'm ready to make changes now. So expect a new feel to the development side of Avicus.

Tournament
It's been a fun tournament, but The Omega Championship is wrapping up soon! Tune in this weekend for some great matches. I'd like to thank everyone now who has helped to make it possible: the officials, refs, map devs and staff who have chipped in. And thanks to the players who have complied to the rules and made the matches exciting to watch. We will be having more awesomely organized events in the near future.

nintendoboy11 July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Hype!

PokerFace July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Thanks. Will there be a votifier plugin setup? This can reel in the players.
Also, if you are looking for a new server host, https://www.minespan.com is one I recommened. $1.50/GB. The minespan host is being used on alexanderjoe10's build server and so far, it has been doing very well and despite all the World Edits being used, the server never crashes.

Emmaye July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

I don't like this new "Choopa LLC" host either

Dyspa July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

1. The host is garbage for me, I literally get near 300ms.
2. "Tournament", rip Brick T_T

keenanjt July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Thanks. Will there be a votifier plugin setup? This can reel in the players.
Also, if you are looking for a new server host, https://www.minespan.com is one I recommened. $1.50/GB. The minespan host is being used on alexanderjoe10's build server and so far, it has been doing very well and despite all the World Edits being used, the server never crashes.
It might reel in players if we had more players to begin with. Unfortunately voting sites are somewhat rigged for large servers who have the player base to vote them to the top. Take a look at the first two pages and factor out how many votes would be needed... We'll consider it though.

We can handle the host - We are looking for dedicated servers as well :P

ProfessorUtonium July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

What forms of advertisement have been planned?

any youtubers looking into this server?

PokerFace July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

It might reel in players if we had more players to begin with. Unfortunately voting sites are somewhat rigged for large servers who have the player base to vote them to the top. Take a look at the first two pages and factor out how many votes would be needed... We'll consider it though.

We can handle the host - We are looking for dedicated servers as well :P
Well as of now, we are below 500 which is a good start. (mcservers.org). While you have been busy, I made a post and a number of us have been voting as much as we can for the server. Lately, there have been 150+ people at peak hours. I think the voting helped. To this day, I never see less than 50 people on unlike how it used to be before. Right now, we have 150 votes from people voting just because. With an incentive, i can easily see 100 votes a day. I believe Avicus could reach at least a spot in the Top 150. Avicus will get their soon with voting incentives :D

https://avicus.net/forums/f26fc248a

resepignev July 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM UTC

Yesss new yml stuff!

Pavlo July 10, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

Personally, the new host has helped greatly for me in New Zealand. I'm getting so much less lag.

GrapeSmoothie July 10, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

Get a host in Louisiana c: it has the top hosting spots xD

Thomas_Shoe July 10, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

only a miracle can change where avicus is headed/is

Zintenka July 10, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

Yes... new YML shtuff... heheheh...

CHOO CHOOO! HOP ON THE HYPE TRAIN :D

Anyway, I hope regenerating blocks and region selected monuments (Like an orb of endstone or obsidian) come. Gameplay will be more diverse :D

Zintenka July 10, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

Hey.

There is no room for pessimism here, the devs and us staff are trying our best. Its talk like this that reduces morale and drives away new players when they see comments like this.

I don't have anything against anyone expressing their opinion, but could you do it somewhere else and at a more appropriate place and time? There are a lot of stuff coming along and you're doubting something that isn't even here yet.  

And as Poker said, he and some other avicadians have set up a voting thingy and the player amount has been boosted a bit for it. So please, if you're not even trying to help the server then I have to ask that you please refrain from making comments like these. 

Especially when you're not offering any advice or pointing out key problems (Stuff that we already know, mind you...)

Please, be more constructive and considerate.

_DC July 10, 2015 at 9:07 AM UTC

Looks great. Thanks for putting in the effort!

I still get blocklag when placing around 10-15 blocks per second, but that isn't really an issue.

In regards to the tournament, I just want to say sorry for being salty to you on the first match. Some of the referees were annoying me with their misinformation.

vladthegreat100 July 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM UTC

Get closer to the last host pls ;-;my ping is rip xd
but hypeee for the new developement!1!1!

kycrafft July 10, 2015 at 2:07 PM UTC

People were saying Avicus was dying in September......hell, people have been saying that Avicus was going to die ever since it was released. I don't know what's different now.

jracer15 July 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM UTC

I'm glad to see Avicus is only getting better!

Murphh July 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM UTC

Keep up the great work!!! Always happy with updates after a little adjustment!!
Congrats on the new job!!
ummm...possible server in California?  :P

Vobaseball12 July 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM UTC

#Javi4Dev

Anyway, thanks Kylo for your hard work!

GrantInPhoenix July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

pretty 2-sided on this new host thing, it will give alot more east coast players better ms/connection (or atleast thats what they said since i heard its now hosted in New Jersey) but at the same time, this is greatly affects the connections for those who are west coast, and most especially for those who are from AU or asia (philippines and singapore especially cuz we have a few Avi's from both countries that play alot here; like me) so i was wondering w/ this concern and might ask if i may

Lucifist July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

pretty 2-sided on this new host thing, it will give alot more east coast players better ms/connection (or atleast thats what they said since i heard its now hosted in New Jersey) but at the same time, this is greatly affects the connections for those who are west coast, and most especially for those who are from AU or asia (philippines and singapore especially cuz we have a few Avi's from both countries that play alot here; like me) so i was wondering w/ this concern and might ask if i may

• Is it possible to move the host to the west coast?
  • Can the server have 2 or 3 seperate hosts, 1 for US, 1 for EU and 1 for AU/Asia?
  • Can they move the server host back to its original host? (which was west coast if im correct?)
We can't have separate hosts because  first, we won't have the funds to do so, and second we are too small of a server to be having seperate hosts. Maybe when we have 1000 players on daily.

keenanjt July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

• Can the server have 2 or 3 seperate hosts, 1 for US, 1 for EU and 1 for AU/Asia?
  • Can they move the server host back to its original host? (which was west coast if im correct?)
The east coast is probably the best single location to provide a good connection for North America and Europe, which is where the vast majority of our player base lies. Expanding to new locations is costly and we don't have enough players spread out to consider it currently. Those in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe and Australia will have to be patient I suppose :P

Pelpelajax July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

Thanks Kylo :)

Dyspa July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

The east coast is probably the best single location to provide a good connection for North America and Europe, which is where the vast majority of our player base lies. Expanding to new locations is costly and we don't have enough players spread out to consider it currently. Those in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe and Australia will have to be patient I suppose :P
Can you set-up a host near Orlando, Florida?
It'll give a good connection to both, EU and NA + people from South America wouldn't be that laggy.

Vijf July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

Can you set-up a host near Orlando, Florida?
It'll give a good connection to both, EU and NA + people from South America wouldn't be that laggy.
Beastnode?

Ezno July 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM UTC

Aprooved.

Zintenka July 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM UTC

A host in New York could be a great location for those on the Eastern part of Canada and the US. It could also reach Europe. 

Whilst perhaps a host in indonesia or New Zealand could provide a connection to southern asia and Australia. As well as a host in Japan could provide a connection to Russia and all of Asia.

A host in Nigeria could provide for all of Africa and some parts of Europe and the US. We have hosts and we're pretty advanced :)

Pavlo July 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM UTC

A host in New York could be a great location for those on the Eastern part of Canada and the US. It could also reach Europe. 

Whilst perhaps a host in indonesia or New Zealand could provide a connection to southern asia and Australia. As well as a host in Japan could provide a connection to Russia and all of Asia.

A host in Nigeria could provide for all of Africa and some parts of Europe and the US. We have hosts and we're pretty advanced :)
In New Zealand? YES PLEASE!!!!!!!! xD

Zintenka July 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM UTC

Oh! And i forgot, a host in Germany, France or Great Britain will do!

Lucifist July 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM UTC

Oh! And i forgot, a host in Germany, France or Great Britain will do!
Wait, how about the whole world?

Petlas July 10, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

+1

Zintenka July 10, 2015 at 10:07 PM UTC

Wait, how about the whole world?
In today's technology that is impossible. Only a government entity can have the money and technology to create a Wifi signal that can travel in a diameter of the whole earth's. 

And getting someone to host a server that powerful will cost millions, most likely billions of money.

It's easier said than done.

Perhaps or a decade or a score down the line, we could have this technology. I will assume by 2025, 2030 or 2040 we can have this.

BoldAndBrash July 10, 2015 at 11:07 PM UTC

In today's technology that is impossible. Only a government entity can have the money and technology to create a Wifi signal that can travel in a diameter of the whole earth's. 

And getting someone to host a server that powerful will cost millions, most likely billions of money.

It's easier said than done.

Perhaps or a decade or a score down the line, we could have this technology. I will assume by 2025, 2030 or 2040 we can have this.
I think he was joking

SWEET_Johny July 10, 2015 at 11:07 PM UTC

kylo code your mom is the new host!1!!11!!1!!

Sevoo July 11, 2015 at 1:07 AM UTC

The last host was in Quebec, which isnt TOO far away from New Jersey.

SnowSX3 July 11, 2015 at 5:07 AM UTC

Yes please!