Avicus Archive

CornSauce's Guide of PVP -Part 1/3- by CornSauce January 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM UTC

I am in no way implying that anyone is in any way un-skillful by writing down my guide to PVP.

Ok, you may be thinking that this will be too long and hard to read or that I am not good at pvp due to my stats, but this may be helpful to you in many ways.
What is PVP?: Pvp stands for player vs player. It's the art of attacking another player online or attacking multiple players.

Sword:

Basics: The sword is the main weapon in minecraft, it deals the most damage and has the ability to block. Using the sword is most effective in close situations when you and your enemy are within 6 blocks. For whenever you use your sword and hit a player you deal damage, this damage quickly adds up to kill the player. The sword is a blade made of material that is usually sharp.

Criticals: Critical hits occur when falling and hitting a player. Whenever you deal a critical attack, it deals more damage than the attack usually would without it. I will now discuss how a critical hit should and shouldn't be used.
Should: When falling your knock back is reduced allowing you to plant more hits onto the enemy. Although this may seem like an amazing tactic you should only use it in a short amount of ways. When a player is standing still obtaining items from a chest or from their own inventory. While they are in this mode it is best to be on the player's left side. When a player starts to be hit they usually look behind themselves but they rotate to their right. This means that they won't notice you for about 7 hits which may even be able to kill the player. The other best reason to use critical hits is to use them after a hit going foward call a "Straightline Combo" which we will further more discuss later in this forum. after about 3 hits of this "Straightline Combo" who should start jumping and keep on knocking them back.
Should NOT: Players should almost never use critical hits while having the effect speed on them for it will olny get you comboed. The olny time there is an exception to this is when they are obtaining items from something. Critical hits should not be used in tight space or against wall for they will allowed you feet to be hit over 1/2 blocks which will get you hit far in the air where your hitting range will be decreased. You should not use critical hits when starting a combo or strafe for it wont get enough knock back and hit the player more into the ground then backwards.

Block Hitting: Block hitting is the pressing of both mouse buttons that allow you to both hit and block some of the damage you would take. This tactic is very good but also bad in some ways. When block hitting your speed is majorly slower making it harder to chase a running player. If you keep spamming this it may not get you a combo but just a normal hit and block for it will keep on decreasing your speed. When you block hit it makes the player take more knock back allowing you to quickly stop block hitting and run up and chase the player to combo them. If you do quick block hit then remove the block it will hardly damage your speed. Block hitting is best used in tight spaces because you won't take knock back from being cornered into a wall and from taking less damage and still hitting .

Sprint KeyThe sprint key allows you to hold down one to sprint without having to press 'w' twice. This helps you do parkour while pvping and extremely helps your pvping with sword. You can find your sprint key next to "Sprint" in "Controls" all inside of your options. I would most recommend setting your sprint key to something you press with your pinky finger so the other fingers don't have to do anything to activate it. I would also recommend that if you have a mouse with buttons on the side or top you could set your sprint key for that button because you only use 2/5 fingers with your left hand on the mouse. The best way to use your sprint key is to hold it down the whole fight. Since human bodys have muscle memory or the ability to remeber when our muscles are doing you will quickly become use to you sprint key even if it's uncomfortable at first.

Combo: A combo is the process of you landing many hits on your enemy when they don't hit you at all. Combos confuse your enemy and give you a huge advantage towards winning the battle. You can obtain combos through using a strafe or any of the techniques above plus more.

Strafe: A strafe is the movement of your player that does not allow the other player to hit you, for example ,moving in a side to side motion. If you learn how to strafe you look at Pvping in a whole different way. There are many ways to strafe that will completely confuse your enemy and yourself because of how good it feels when a strafe works, here are some ways to strafe.
Straightline Strafing is basically moving forward while constantly hitting. This strafe requires the least amount of skill but can be amazing when it works. The best way to preform a straightline strafe is to hold and let go of your 'w' key allowing it to stunt your sprint key formation putting the knockback on the player at a larger amound. Although Straightlining relys on one's internet speed the most it also relys on skill.
Straightline Block Hit Strafing is using the straightline strafe while block hitting once or twice to give the enemy a large amount of knock back the going forward with your sprint key and rapidly pressing 'w'.
Straightline Crit Strafing is using straightline strafing for one or two hits then using critical hits to deal massive damage. This strafe is very hard to preform due to the little amount of knock back a player takes while critting but when it works your enemy dies in a heart beat.
Straightline Shift-Unshift Strafing is again, using a straightline strafe but shifting whenever you get hit. This is amazingly hard to preform because you have to do it perfectly on the time of the hit. When you preform this you take much, much less knock back and destroy your enemy if preformed correctly.
Full-Circle Strafing is the most effective strafe. While doing this strafe you circle around you're enemy while holding down 'a'/'d' and holding down your sprint key. This hits the enemy all around confuses them so much that they may accuse you of cheating after doing it. While doing this you may have to change rotation if the players head starts to catch up with your movement. This strafe does not rely on internet speed that much at all but highly on skill. This strafe may take week or even months of practice to preform this strafe. This strafe may be practicly impossible to preform perfectly without speed.
Semi-Circle Strafing is like full circle strafing except with only doing a half circle or less. This move doesn't confuse your enemy but make you insanely hard to hit due to your movement of side to side. This is amazing for such a simple strafe. Remeber to keep you distance while using this strafe and stay slightly away so the can't hit you.
Counter Strafe is used to diffuse a strafe combo by spamming a sprint location or a direction. Some ways to counter strafe are to spam your sprint key, spam your back key and on that some people use that is hard is called the circle counter where you go in a circle while you're getting comboed to throw off the hit counter on your hit box, you can check hit boxes by pressing the buttons f3+B. There are many, many other ways to counter strafe that I am not aware of.
Your Own Style is what you should try to come up with. Keep on trying to find a strafe that matches you and your personality for it to be fun and easy for just yourself!

Clicking: (WARNING, jitter clicking for long periods of time may lead to arthritis and carpel tunneling in your hands and wrist) Clicking is the pressing of your mouse. Normal clicking is keeping you hand firm on the mouse and just clicking it. If you want to combo "easier" not better, you may want to click fast if you have trouble with starting strafes. Clicking faster comes with it's pros and cons. Some of the pros are that it can land you combos faster and lets you hit your enemy more. Some of the cons are that it completely throws off your aim at the player and that it can lead to injury.
Jitter Clicking is the tensing of the muscles in your arm or hand while barely touching a mouse to allow amazing clicks speeds that can go up to 20 cps (clicks per second).

Ping (MS): Ping or ms is the sending and retrieving of packages of information. Ping relys on your location and stability of your internet. Having decent ping of around 100 ms allows you to land hits and throw potions, eat food, throw items out of you inventory or hotbar, and not lag your player at a normal speed. Having good ms of around 50 ms allows you to do everything that you can do from normal ms faster and easier, while having bad ms does the opposite.

DON'T HACK: Hacking only stunts your ability to pvp if used wrong and a good pvper could easily beat a good hacker. Hacking is never worth it for it will give you less control of what your doing.

I will make another one of these in my free time labeled "CornSauce's Guide of PVP -Part 2/3-" providing tips for bows.

JKawesome January 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM UTC

This is actually a really helpful and well-written guide. Good job, looking forward to part 2!

CornSauce January 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM UTC

This is actually a really helpful and well-written guide. Good job, looking forward to part 2!
Thank you very much! Means a lot.

Stimulating January 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM UTC

This covers everything, advanced to basic. I actually wouldn't say straightlining is easiest, I'd say it's as difficult as a strafe combo because you have to preform the straight line near-perfectly or you get hit back too much and it ends the combo. Strafe combos throw off your opponents aim as well. That's my only real gripe besides Breezily strafe...he uses autoclicker when he PvPs, so idk if you can really credit anything to him... 

The fact that I only had 2 gripes for that much writing though is amazing. This is a very useful and comprehensive guide. 

This has kinda inspired me to maybe make a couple combo guides on my channel. I have a couple custom ones as well :P

Stimulating January 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM UTC

You should probably include counter strafing as well

ballzi January 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

I use my own style formed off circle strafes and semi :D

SWEET_Johny January 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

Probably useful, to large to ready myself. :3

kycrafft January 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

The kycrafft combo: Rarely seen, it's a combination of a semi-circle strafe, jump crusting and constant blockhitting. I don't try it a lot because I get rekt 99% of the time.

StewieFG January 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM UTC

The kycrafft combo: Rarely seen, it's a combination of a semi-circle strafe, jump crusting and constant blockhitting. I don't try it a lot because I get rekt 99% of the time.
Nah, you are actually really good, when I 1v1ed you on nexus you 360noscoped420blazeit shrek illuminati'd me.

StewieFG January 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM UTC

By the way, really good guide, and really helpful! Make part 2 :)

IviFetita January 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM UTC

Woah... it is awesome! Very nice! Good luck writing the new one! ;o

Lucifist January 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Eyy, good job, very helpful indeed :)

Beylem January 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Some things are horribly wrong, but others dead accurate. For example, Cayden doesn't just circle without re-tapping w at all. Stimpy's strafe is also different to what you stated. Also you cannot get arthritis from jitterclicking, however you can get a carpel tunnel. All in all I have to say this is a pretty good guide but with mistakes.

Stimulating January 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM UTC

Some things are horribly wrong, but others dead accurate. For example, Cayden doesn't just circle without re-tapping w at all. Stimpy's strafe is also different to what you stated. Also you cannot get arthritis from jitterclicking, however you can get a carpel tunnel. All in all I have to say this is a pretty good guide but with mistakes.
And even then, unless you jitterclick for a couple hours a day with no breaks in-between you won't get carpral tunneling. I'm sure you know this. (There are a few misconceptions about jitterclicking, and I wanted to further explain/clear it up)

But agreed, there are a few mistakes, but it's good regardless for PvPers at almost every level (excluding the people who at the level where they know all this stuff in and out).

CornSauce January 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM UTC

You should probably include counter strafing as well
Ok I will, thank you for the idea

By the way, really good guide, and really helpful! Make part 2 :)
Your welcome and thank you!

I have to put an answer to your ideas of mistakes to my guide and I see you have good points, but now I will discuss my view. I was listing ways that others strafe, I listed one of cayden's strafes and one of stimpay's strafes. Arthritis is hereditary for you will most likely get it if your ancestors did but putting any sort of pressure on your muscles tends to cause arthritis in the smallest amounts. This suggests that tensing up your muscles for a longer period of time may help lead to arthritis dramatically.

Anyways thanks for the compliments! :^)

Eyy, good job, very helpful indeed :)
Thanks!

Probably useful, to large to ready myself. :3
Thanks for thinking it's useful! :3

Beylem January 7, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

I have to put an answer to your ideas of mistakes to my guide and I see you have good points, but now I will discuss my view. I was listing ways that others strafe, I listed one of cayden's strafes and one of stimpay's strafes. Arthritis is hereditary for you will most likely get it if your ancestors did but putting any sort of pressure on your muscles tends to cause arthritis in the smallest amounts. This suggests that tensing up your muscles for a longer period of time may help lead to arthritis dramatically.

I personally know Stimpy and I know someone who's good friends with Cayden. That's not exactly their strafes...

AtditC January 7, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

"Ping (MS): Ping or ms" ms = miliseconds... idiot

Beylem January 7, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

Arthritis is also in your joints, not muscles. I know people who've  been jitter clicking for years not just in minecraft and they're  fine.

MLGtino January 7, 2015 at 11:01 PM UTC

Arthritis is also in your joints, not muscles. I know people who've  been jitter clicking for years not just in minecraft and they're  fine.
Gumonkop based carpal tunnel.

Dyspa January 8, 2015 at 4:01 AM UTC

How many cps do you get Jeff?

OriginaI January 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM UTC

He gets Over 9000!

Stimulating January 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM UTC

13/14 from my knowledge (jitterclick). 

I think 7-10 w/o jitter.

CornSauce January 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

I personally know Stimpy and I know someone who's good friends with Cayden. That's not exactly their strafes...
Ok, sorry for the wrong information, I just was saying one strafe they use often that others aren't as good at, I'll delete that section of the information now.

Spelling January 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

If you want to win every fight, you can ignore this post altogether and buy google fibre.

The joints are associated with the muscles tensing them cause tearing damage due to the stiff position along with the large amount of pressing being put on your muscles and joints causing Osteoarthritis through the tearing in the joint's cartilage from strenuous usage. Gliding joints, such as the ones between the carpals of the wrist, are found where bones meet as flat surfaces and allow for the bones to glide past one another in any direction these are the ones that usually get damages from the constant movement of muscles. Jitter clicking is basically the shortcut to arthritis due to the amount of pressure dealt on the gliding joints through a movement that is using your muscles to vibrate in a stiff position putting a large amount of pressure on your joints. It's not the muscles that get damaged through jitter clicking, it's the cartilage getting worn away from the movement that lie in between your joints. The people you know of course haven't got arthritis yet if they're not in the 50-80 age range which is when arthritis usually occurs. Most of the people I know are neglecting that you can get arthritis because of jitter clicking mostly because they do themselves and the other reason is because of lack of knowledge dealing with arthritis.

"Ping (MS): Ping or ms" ms = miliseconds... idiot
"Ping (MS): Ping or ms" is what I said because it's true I need not to describe what milliseconds are and how they are received throughout a host and a sender if I went into true detail of that it would take a few thousand letters, if you don't like my PVP guide my your own Internet Information guide. You wouldn't be on my bad side you wouldn't have called me an "idiot".

kycrafft January 8, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

If you want to win every fight, you can ignore this post altogether and buy google fibre.
Like MLGNoPingtino

CornSauce January 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM UTC

Like MLGNoPingtino
What is that supposed to mean?

Stimulating January 9, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

Like MLGNoPingtino
Well Boxings_ has google fibre from my understanding. ComboDombo w/o fibre gets 9ms on Badlion, Tino gets 20 I hear. There's also bigger pingers m8

Milki January 10, 2015 at 2:01 AM UTC

Nice guide!

I can write about bows; gotta love sniping.

Anticipation: Anticipation is a big part of getting better with the bow; it makes PvP much easier, from knocking people off bridges to preventing people from circling around you. To anticipate an action when someone's running, I recommend shooting about 5 blocks in front of the person depending on how they run and how far away you are, and your ping.

Sniping: Sniping is the art of hitting people without anyone noticing your presence earlier. I recommend staying at least 30 blocks away from your target to avoid your shots from being dodged. Experiment with a few shots; they're hard to notice, and give you a good idea of what angle to hit. Once you find that angle, shoot from that angle as much as you can before your target moves, and adjust appropriately.

Close Combat Shooting: There are two parts to close combat shooting: bow spamming and shots before a swordfight.
Bow spamming is the act of shooting a lot of arrows in a short period of time; honestly, I don't recommend it because it's unsteady and can be avoided easily, but if you have a steady hand, go ahead!
Shooting an arrow or two before you go into combat with your sword is a tactic that I use to get an advantage over other players; it weakens them and slows them down, giving you quite the advantage. I recommend using hotkeys for this; scrolling just isn't good enough for this situation.

Shooting on the Run: Shooting on the run is more of a last resort tactic; when you have low health and need to run, this will slow down your enemies. It's a little tricky at first; you have to make sure you rotate a perfect 180 degrees to hit your enemy, and make sure to run again after you shoot.

Ping: The final section I'll cover is ping. As explained in the original post, ping shows your connection to the server. Normally, a very good ping is needed to be good with the bow, or else your shots become very inaccurate. I would recommend a ping below 300ms.

That's all my tips for bows; CornSauce, if you would like to use any of that in your guide on bows, you have complete permission, as long as you say that I wrote some of it. :3

Posighdun January 10, 2015 at 3:01 AM UTC

This is a very helpful guide for me and i am sure for everyone else to.

CornSauce January 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

Nice guide!

I can write about bows; gotta love sniping.

Anticipation: Anticipation is a big part of getting better with the bow; it makes PvP much easier, from knocking people off bridges to preventing people from circling around you. To anticipate an action when someone's running, I recommend shooting about 5 blocks in front of the person depending on how they run and how far away you are, and your ping.

Sniping: Sniping is the art of hitting people without anyone noticing your presence earlier. I recommend staying at least 30 blocks away from your target to avoid your shots from being dodged. Experiment with a few shots; they're hard to notice, and give you a good idea of what angle to hit. Once you find that angle, shoot from that angle as much as you can before your target moves, and adjust appropriately.

Close Combat Shooting: There are two parts to close combat shooting: bow spamming and shots before a swordfight.
Bow spamming is the act of shooting a lot of arrows in a short period of time; honestly, I don't recommend it because it's unsteady and can be avoided easily, but if you have a steady hand, go ahead!
Shooting an arrow or two before you go into combat with your sword is a tactic that I use to get an advantage over other players; it weakens them and slows them down, giving you quite the advantage. I recommend using hotkeys for this; scrolling just isn't good enough for this situation.

Shooting on the Run: Shooting on the run is more of a last resort tactic; when you have low health and need to run, this will slow down your enemies. It's a little tricky at first; you have to make sure you rotate a perfect 180 degrees to hit your enemy, and make sure to run again after you shoot.

Ping: The final section I'll cover is ping. As explained in the original post, ping shows your connection to the server. Normally, a very good ping is needed to be good with the bow, or else your shots become very inaccurate. I would recommend a ping below 300ms.

That's all my tips for bows; CornSauce, if you would like to use any of that in your guide on bows, you have complete permission, as long as you say that I wrote some of it. :3
Thanks! I'll make sure to give you some credit if I chose to.

NuclearDucky January 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM UTC

I'm sure this post will help with new players :D nice job! <3

CornSauce January 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

I'm sure this post will help with new players :D nice job! <3
Thanks!

Stimulating January 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

The joints are associated with the muscles tensing them cause tearing damage due to the stiff position along with the large amount of pressing being put on your muscles and joints causing Osteoarthritis through the tearing in the joint's cartilage from strenuous usage. Gliding joints, such as the ones between the carpals of the wrist, are found where bones meet as flat surfaces and allow for the bones to glide past one another in any direction these are the ones that usually get damages from the constant movement of muscles. Jitter clicking is basically the shortcut to arthritis due to the amount of pressure dealt on the gliding joints through a movement that is using your muscles to vibrate in a stiff position putting a large amount of pressure on your joints. It's not the muscles that get damaged through jitter clicking, it's the cartilage getting worn away from the movement that lie in between your joints. The people you know of course haven't got arthritis yet if they're not in the 50-80 age range which is when arthritis usually occurs. Most of the people I know are neglecting that you can get arthritis because of jitter clicking mostly because they do themselves and the other reason is because of lack of knowledge dealing with arthritis.
Actually, once you've got good at jitterclicking you barely tense your wrist/arm. But if your family has a history of arthritis, avoid it.

SavageAmericans January 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM UTC

This is very helpful, thank you. :D