Avicus Archive

Servers are in Danger! Avicus is in Need! by Ingigo June 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM UTC

Since Mojang changed the EULA,  server owners aka funky or Ivycode are forced to accept the EULA before starting the servers.The most important rule is:"You're not allowed to earn money with Minecraft." This doesn't make any sense at all and it destroys the community. Let me explain that one. Server owners are probably going to stop running their servers because they can't pay their server bills and developers anymore. Also, Minecraft artists aren't allowed to sell their work. Mojang has to change this or it'll destroy Minecraft. We have to stop this so please sign this petition, just 2000 more and then Avicus and other servers will be saved!
Sign the Petition NOW!
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/mojang-change-your-eula
We don't want Avicus to close down so please sign this and lets change this around guys!
This is off topic but it is also important to Avicus, our server, if you want this server to last, sign it now!

Beautifulistic June 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM UTC

I have done this.

Notalgicular June 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM UTC

Nono, this has always existed, its just now they are make sure people start following

KalinD June 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM UTC

I voted like 10 times :p

Phobiaxx June 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM UTC

Nostal, it always existed, but once they make sure people follow, the bad effects stated will happen...

carrie_may June 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM UTC

I signed the petition already and i hope they wont approve what will mojang do to the servers

Numberz_ June 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM UTC

I have already signed this.

Lieutenantpants June 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM UTC

I don't think you really understand the EULA and what it dictates. 
Servers are not supposed to sell in-game items for real-life money to make a profit. Mojang understands that donations and ranks and the like help pay for hosting, which is necessary to keep a server alive. 
Now that Grumm's gone and made a big deal out of it, everyone's freaking out.
Mojang will never be able to crack down on every single server that has a shop for ranks or items that cost real money. 
You have to understand that Mojang is a small, private indie company. A petition isn't going to change their minds. After all, it has no need.
This has always been around. Avicus- nor any other server- is in any immediate danger. Someone made a big deal about a conversation Grumm had with several other people on reddit and it went from reddit to the entire internet. Seems like everyone freaking out hasn't actually read any of the conversation or the EULA itself.

Ingigo June 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM UTC

I don't think you really understand the EULA and what it dictates. 
Servers are not supposed to sell in-game items for real-life money to make a profit. Mojang understands that donations and ranks and the like help pay for hosting, which is necessary to keep a server alive. 
Now that Grumm's gone and made a big deal out of it, everyone's freaking out.
Mojang will never be able to crack down on every single server that has a shop for ranks or items that cost real money. 
You have to understand that Mojang is a small, private indie company. A petition isn't going to change their minds. After all, it has no need.
This has always been around. Avicus- nor any other server- is in any immediate danger. Someone made a big deal about a conversation Grumm had with several other people on reddit and it went from reddit to the entire internet. Seems like everyone freaking out hasn't actually read any of the conversation or the EULA itself.
No, they have been saying that server owners  can't make any money of the server. This means that donators basically, Maybe I should read the EULA again properly without skim-reading it

_Gill June 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM UTC

The fine print that you presented states that servers can not make a profit on selling Minecraft as a game. We do not make a profit, all money we earn goes towards sever costs and developments.

Lieutenantpants June 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM UTC

The fine print that you presented states that servers can not make a profit on selling Minecraft as a game. We do not make a profit, all money we earn goes towards sever costs and developments.
This. Precisely this.

Ingigo June 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM UTC

I didn't know that, I thought you would like keep some money like each 100 dollars you make, keep 2 dollars!

ImJeezus June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

Why is everybody freaking out to the EULA?

TinyNitai June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

It's not a business as long as you manage all money incomes as donations, which they are

Shadowbladz June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

It's not a business as long as you manage all money incomes as donations, which they are
They're not donations. They're purchases.

Saying "oh it's just a donation!" doesn't make it one. People are exchanging money, for perks on the server. Therefore a purchase, not a donation.

Also to people saying "oh, they don't make a profit". Technically, by business terms they ARE making a profit. The business is making a profit and spending it. Not making a profit would be if the donations exactly balanced out the server running cost.

kycrafft June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

And this is what got funkystudios banned once out of the three times in Avicus recent history.

TinyNitai June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

They're not donations. They're purchases.

Saying "oh it's just a donation!" doesn't make it one. People are exchanging money, for perks on the server. Therefore a purchase, not a donation.

Also to people saying "oh, they don't make a profit". Technically, by business terms they ARE making a profit. The business is making a profit and spending it. Not making a profit would be if the donations exactly balanced out the server running cost.
I thought all donations went to financing the server's host rent, etc.

_DC June 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM UTC

kind of off topic but does this mean that YouTubers can't make money? "Within reason you‘re free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the Game. By “within reason” we mean that you can‘t make any commercial use of them"

EDIT: No I should have read the whole thing is says you can put adds on videos.