Avicus Archive

College admissions help yo! by JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I just need opinions, rather unbiased hopefully as I dont really know much of you lot, about college admissions.
Like, I got a letter from Harvard, and they want me to apply to Harvard, and Stanford has a lot of interest in me. I've already got full rides set up for Texas A&M or UT Austin if I wanted to, but I wanna do mechanical engineering.
So the problem is i dont really wanna go to Harvard or any of these schools, except maybe Stanford and A&M kinda. What y'all think?

Jahaj March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I have no idea, I am still in my 1st year of High school. By any chance do you live in Austin because you were talking about UT and A&M?

JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

I have no idea, I am still in my 1st year of High school. By any chance do you live in Austin because you were talking about UT and A&M?
Dallas actually :3

Vobaseball12 March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

From looking at a ranking of the best schools for mechanical engineering, Stanford was #2 (at $47,000), so yeah?

Not to be rude, but what is your monetary situation, because that would affect your choice?

Mooch24 March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

harvard is pretty nice

lots of good schools in the MA area. id recommend checking a few

JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

From looking at a ranking of the best schools for mechanical engineering, Stanford was #2 (at $47,000), so yeah?

Not to be rude, but what is your monetary situation, because that would affect your choice?
I don't care about money, I'll find a way c:
I'm just asking if they are good schools to go to?
@mooch ye, I was hoping to go to MIT up in Cambridge.

JJTheGuy March 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Stanford is nice. I'm only a first year in highschool, but I live in Cali and Stanford is a great school and California weather is really nice (except the start and end of school, get's to be a taaad hot).

_Gill March 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

MIT or Stanford. I have a few friends who go to Stanford, and they love it there! (But I am a little biased towards it). MIT has a great engineering/science program with almost unlimited possibilities. 
Personally, I have no interest in Harvard (even though I want to major in business or law). The people there just aren't the nicest (from the people Ive met, just a very broad generalization). 
I think for only academics, MIT would be your best choice (kinda surprised its not on your list), but Stanford would top it off for me because of just the overall atmosphere and school itself. They have many, many programs (for minoring or a second major), great sports, and a beautiful, warm campus.

Its ultimately up to you, but those are just some things Ive seen and heard.

KadirGarib March 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

MonseiurApple was nice enough to post his Stanford admissions on Github. Why not take a look at them?

JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Stanford is nice. I'm only a first year in highschool, but I live in Cali and Stanford is a great school and California weather is really nice (except the start and end of school, get's to be a taaad hot).
If it isn't above 70 degrees, it's cold, and if it's above 110 degrees, then it's hot (for me I mean), so I think I'm good.
@M8T Well I mean MIT and Cal Tech are the ones I'm primarily interested in, but these are the ones where I already know I have a pretty good chance of getting in, because I've gotten emails and letters from them, or because they're public schools and I already met their requirements. The thing that worries me about Stanford is that I didn't know how good the atmosphere is compared to MITs or Cal Techs, which are very nice. Care to elaborate? 
@Acharige ty

Stimulating March 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

https://oc.tc/forums/topics/54f889ebc296350446000416 
If you get that back from Harvard, you're applying correctly. 

(That was not supposed to be degrading towards the institution)

Newcleus March 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

North-East colleges aren't going to match your political stance, Jubbz.

Dyspa March 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

I don't know much about foreign colleges but I'm proud to say I was selected by Stanford's international project that had the main idea of collecting new students from all over the world, so as my school is part of a british association (The only one in my country), my standards were over the rest of the other people's ones that went to schools with no english included. I was assigned a test (English and maths), which I passed with merits but I finally ended up knowing that the subjects that were offered weren't liked by me :/

P.S:  Just 200 people made the tests and nearly half of this amount passed at least 1 of them.

JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

https://oc.tc/forums/topics/54f889ebc296350446000416 
If you get that back from Harvard, you're applying correctly. 

(That was not supposed to be degrading towards the institution)
Aw, but cheef keef is one of my contacts
@straightened I'm a Texan, not Ted Cruz XD i'll just ignore them godless liberals up there.
@Juano besides the classes offered, did it seem like a good school?

Dyspa March 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

Aw, but cheef keef is one of my contacts
@straightened I'm a Texan, not Ted Cruz XD i'll just ignore them godless liberals up there.
@Juano besides the classes offered, did it seem like a good school?
I liked the people there, the way they treat you is much more better than here in Chile ._.
Also yeah, I liked the terrain, classrooms, etc, pretty good in my opinion but I'm not sure if it is as good as the rest of the colleges there, Stanford was the only one I visited.

JUBBINATOR March 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM UTC

I liked the people there, the way they treat you is much more better than here in Chile ._.
Also yeah, I liked the terrain, classrooms, etc, pretty good in my opinion but I'm not sure if it is as good as the rest of the colleges there, Stanford was the only one I visited.
TY my main uncertainties is with the culture of stanford and how the people are like

Hacktivism March 11, 2015 at 3:03 AM UTC

Stanford is really nice, especially if you're planning to go into technology fields.

JUBBINATOR March 12, 2015 at 12:03 AM UTC

Stanford seems a really nice school after all of this, I'll definitely keep this in mind. However, I haven't really heard much about Harvard. I heard like that their physics program is pretty good, and Harvard is pretty close to MIT, which is where I want to go, so I can get involved in a lot of MIT activities as well, so what kind of things do y'all have to say bout Harvard?

_Gill March 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM UTC

Ehh, Harvards over rated in my opinion. I don't know too much about there engineering programs, but the only thing I think Id do there is a graduate program. I don't know though, I recommend flying to all of the places you're looking at and picking which one suits you the best.