Avicus Archive

Installing a CPU fan by PokerFace June 30, 2015 at 7:06 AM UTC

Hi so I got an Intel CPU fan but, it didn't come with the support bracket so I impovised by screwing nuts under the motherboard to the screws that are on the corners of the CPU. The nuts aren't touching the metal spikes on the bottom of the motherboard but, they touch those engraved black lines that go in all sorts of different directions. Will this fry the motherboard? Thanks in advance.

In other words, will metal that touches the circuit but not the metal spikes fry the motherboard?

Pavlo June 30, 2015 at 8:06 AM UTC

It shouldn't, but if I was you, i'd have put a piece of rubber between the screw and the motherboard, just in case it does short circuit it.

PokerFace June 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM UTC

It shouldn't, but if I was you, i'd have put a piece of rubber between the screw and the motherboard, just in case it does short circuit it.
I just took a gamble and it doesn't short circuit thankfully.

Pavlo June 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM UTC

I just took a gamble and it doesn't short circuit thankfully.
That's good, if you ever come across some rubber rings you could use as insulation though, it won't hurt to add them :)

Otherwise, enjoy the PC :D

That's good, if you ever come across some rubber rings you could use as insulation though, it won't hurt to add them :)

Otherwise, enjoy the PC :D
Lol, do you think you could help me on skype now? I'm trying to run the computer.

Pavlo June 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM UTC

Lol, do you think you could help me on skype now? I'm trying to run the computer.
well....I'm a bit busy right now, but I can tomorrow :)

well....I'm a bit busy right now, but I can tomorrow :)
lol ok

Spartemex June 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM UTC

You don't want to gamble with your mobo... Are you sure the fan you got is compatible? Also, look on MaximumPC's website for some good guides. (Or look at their "Build It" issue of the magazine).

PokerFace June 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM UTC

You don't want to gamble with your mobo... Are you sure the fan you got is compatible? Also, look on MaximumPC's website for some good guides. (Or look at their "Build It" issue of the magazine).
Yeah it is, it just didn't come with the mounting thing so I used nuts.

_Phyre June 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM UTC

Nitrogen Cooler = eZ no hardware loss.

Spartemex June 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM UTC

Yeah it is, it just didn't come with the mounting thing so I used nuts.
Well, then return it, and get one that has the mount. If a product is missing a component, then you should be able to exchange it for one that has all pieces for free.