Avicus Archive

Where our values at? by Arachadonic September 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM UTC

Recently I have noticed, along with the trend of the "dying" posts, people keep posting explaining that the reason or one of the reasons they think that Avicus is dying is due to it's playerbase (or apparent lack of). 

Their main points in general seem to be that McZone had way more players on than us and the players are all abandoning the server slowly hence the lowered player rate in the past few weeks. This does not mean avicus is dying.

It is only natural that once school starts, the player rate will indeed take a dip as you will see across all servers so this can account for the sudden dip. However the real question here is why does it matter that we have less players than McZone?

When did we all become so fixated on having the most players and getting caught up in numbers and figures?
I have been playing MINECRAFT for roughly 3/4 years now and it saddens me that today's minecraft communities seem purely statistically and numerically driven. What happend with the idea of simply playing games for fun and joining a community not to boost it's ranks but to make friends and meet new people? 

I am to this day, a part of a community that has been around since Classic Minecraft and recently celebrated it's 5th year running. 5 years!! They must be doing something right to be running for 5 years with no perks (not even a rank) for donating. Would you like to know what that is?

Their main priority is fun and the player experience, not making a profit or getting the most people on their server. We could all learn from them to be honest and I feel we really need to look at what we place values on. In the end of the day, would you rather we had 16,000 players like Mineplex on but as a result of that a distant and often unfriendly "community" or what we have currently which is just enough players to play games with yet still know everyone's username. What we have currently is not perfect but it's great. So let's celebrate the positives in the community! 

So this is just some food for thought really. Feel free to share your opinion below as this is just mine and let's get a decent discussion going! What do you place values on? What do you think servers do or should place values on?

Zintenka September 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM UTC

I agree with you 90%.

But you are wrong about the player part. Its slowly been dipping since Avicus was booted up. 

During the vacation, the numbers were 100-300. 

Anyway, I think servers should listen to the community more. Avicus has been doing an awesome job of that but the updates are slow. I'm pretty sure many ppl suggested that Ivy hire more developers to code. 

I also noticed that suggested gamemodes dont get added. This can also be solved with more devs.

vladthegreat100 September 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM UTC

I agree with you 90%.

But you are wrong about the player part. Its slowly been dipping since Avicus was booted up. 

During the vacation, the numbers were 100-300. 

Anyway, I think servers should listen to the community more. Avicus has been doing an awesome job of that but the updates are slow. I'm pretty sure many ppl suggested that Ivy hire more developers to code. 

I also noticed that suggested gamemodes dont get added. This can also be solved with more devs.
our numbers are still 100-300, you just aren't on at the right time... I saw 300 players yesterday and 100 players in the same day but at different times, we just have a player base who lives around the same timezone

_Phyre September 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM UTC

Mineplex: Summer, 10k people. School, 6k people.
Hive: Summer, 3k people. School, 1.5k people

:P Avicus is not dying.. Illuminati has its back