Avicus Archive

Stop complaining about MODS! by MidnightBeats August 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM UTC

This is going to be a little rant... 

So, I was playing nebula today and saw ONE TOO MANY people complaining about how the moderators suck and that they don't do their job. Or that they don't arrive quick enough. 

First off: 

Shut the hell up. Mods can't be online every second just to watch the server. They have lives to live! 

Second:

Mods aren't supposed to announce their arrival when there is a hacker. Those kinds of people don't even deserve to be mods because to catch a hacker you have to be discreet, tricky, and smart. 

Third: 

To the people who say the mods here suck...  You should be EVEN LUCKY that there is a damn REPORT button! Mineplex, one of the biggest servers in the Minecraft community, doesn't have a report button. Their staff also suck, I ended up being kicked in the PRESENCE of a hacker. (Sorry mineplex, it's true. )

Any mods/juniors/seniors reading this, Don't think poorly of yourself. You are doing a fantastic job in keeping track of the server. The only reason people hate on you guys is because they're jealous or have no patience. 

Continue the great work. 

Midnight

BoldAndBrash August 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM UTC

k

Aydran August 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM UTC

The mods still suck though.
yayaya

Arachadonic August 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM UTC

The mods still suck though.
How so? Suggesting a way for them to improve in your opinion is much better than simply making a statement.

MidnightBeats August 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

How so? Suggesting a way for them to improve in your opinion is much better than simply making a statement.
True...

TheTNTPotato August 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

Dear, I hate the people that expects the staff to constantly moderate. Just because they applied, therefore making it a bit of a job, doesn't mean they have to work their asses off 24/7.. At least Avicus isn't flooded with those kind of people, though. <3 <3

iDiamondPorkchop August 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

Good mods:

Jozzeh, Peachy, Nolan, Ducky, Doozie, Glitchy, Cow, Princess, Zeus, Theo

Bad mods:

The rest...
So you're saying these people are bad staff: IvyCode Howsie Avigill The_detonator_ Izjust4fun Tel(insert numbers here) Cupcake4121 Itzdylan DoctaPop Battleship Jake41901 Zieno SweetMango Yoavkipper And Shirokamii.....

_Phyre August 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

So you're saying these people are bad staff: IvyCode Howsie Avigill The_detonator_ Izjust4fun Tel(insert numbers here) Cupcake4121 Itzdylan DoctaPop Battleship Jake41901 Zieno SweetMango Yoavkipper And Shirokamii.....
Oh i forgot docta xD hes good :)

RCMP_Mountie August 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

Good mods:

Bad mods:

The rest...
Ouch?

Why exactly do you think the other Staff Members/Mods are "bad"? Care to provide some constructive criticism?

Emmaye August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Do we not already have enough of these threads?

Notalgicular August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Good mods:

Bad mods:

The rest...
Thats extremely rude,
and may I add, false.
All are good.
Kinda

Joao_Victor August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Good mods:

Bad mods:

The rest...
There isn't any reason to post a list like this.

Feel free to file a complaint about a staff member if you have issues with any of them.

Cyclops August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

I check the forums after a few weeks of being somewhere else and I see this...
Ill be gone for a while again, tell me when these threads are gone ;l

Emmaye August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

There isn't any reason to post a list like this.

Feel free to file a complaint about a staff member if you have issues with any of them.
^

BoldAndBrash August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Allmods are OP at their job. They all want to have fun but also help.

steven5703 August 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Good mods:

Bad mods:

The rest...
minus juan

MLGtino August 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

I was kidding when I said that, but since you asked for a list:

- Mods should forward suggestion directly to managers if they have potential to help the server. Suggestion posts generally get ignored for whatever reason and SO many good minigames and additions are overlooked. Come on.

- Learn more about hacked clients, aka the most common issue. Prime examples being djbuilders, fazer, kingt, etc. All banned for hacking while being not even CLOSE to that. It's ridiculous. People expect perfection, and even if you can't give them that, you can at least not falsely ban people because you thought they were hacking. These mistakes count. People notice and then forum spam starts from complaints. 

- God help me with this one. Some moderators just try and rack up infractions by kicking/warning people for the dumbest things. Sometimes a word slips out but COME ON. Somebody dies and says "fuck", he doesn't need a warn. If he does it again I think that's when you might wanna get involved. Now if someone goes on a profanity spree yelling the most grotesque and obnoxious words ever coined by mankind, then you wanna warn on the first. Or maybe something really silly, warning people for caps when they leave it on by accident. I've seen it happen. Just no. 

- To end this (hopefully), why are some moderators so just... boring. Do you expect people to like you if you just read out of a textbook? Does that help you connect with players (which is what a moderator should be doing to help promote the server)? Be more laid back for Christ sake, you aren't talking in front of the goddamn president. Sometimes its needed, but sometimes its not. If moderators are considered "just very responsible and active members of the server who are at the same level of everyone else", why can't they just be opinionated and not tell others what they have on flash cards?

Was that seriously so hard?

Arachadonic August 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

- Mods should forward suggestion directly to managers if they have potential to help the server. Suggestion posts generally get ignored for whatever reason and SO many good minigames and additions are overlooked. Come on.

- Learn more about hacked clients, aka the most common issue. Prime examples being djbuilders, fazer, kingt, etc. All banned for hacking while being not even CLOSE to that. It's ridiculous. People expect perfection, and even if you can't give them that, you can at least not falsely ban people because you thought they were hacking. These mistakes count. People notice and then forum spam starts from complaints. 

- God help me with this one. Some moderators just try and rack up infractions by kicking/warning people for the dumbest things. Sometimes a word slips out but COME ON. Somebody dies and says "fuck", he doesn't need a warn. If he does it again I think that's when you might wanna get involved. Now if someone goes on a profanity spree yelling the most grotesque and obnoxious words ever coined by mankind, then you wanna warn on the first. Or maybe something really silly, warning people for caps when they leave it on by accident. I've seen it happen. Just no. 

- To end this (hopefully), why are some moderators so just... boring. Do you expect people to like you if you just read out of a textbook? Does that help you connect with players (which is what a moderator should be doing to help promote the server)? Be more laid back for Christ sake, you aren't talking in front of the goddamn president. Sometimes its needed, but sometimes its not. If moderators are considered "just very responsible and active members of the server who are at the same level of everyone else", why can't they just be opinionated and not tell others what they have on flash cards?

A few good points.. Hopefully it gets looked at but unlikely.

MLGtino August 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

Looks like I need to add to this. Lets see...

Oh yeah, the staff team. Used to be about like... 40 people total on the team...? Now we have almost 25 at guess. Staff are retiring every month, and with school approaching, most will be inactive/quitting more than ever. 

So let me put this into perspective. School has begun. Staff may be quitting. We have 1 map dev and 1 regular dev. Where is this going? 

But thats only the beginning.

You may say "WELL STAFF SAID APPS WILL OPEN SOON SO WE'LL BE GETTING MORE RITE!?!??!///!/1/".

lolno

Last time, staff apps opened on the 30th of March if I'm correct. Then the staff were given ranks IN JULY. That's 3 months of waiting. And most didn't even get promotions until August. So in 3 months it'll be December - and maybe not because the applications aren't even open yet. That's a long time of waiting before new mods (and there will only be like 14, which is not many at all). This is a major flaw in our system that has only really presented itself recently. 

Fix it. Choose moderators from active members of the forums who care about this server. If I could ever suggest anybody, Arachadonic, Splade4812, smitdalt, and plenty of others should be on the team. Don't be afraid to use OCN's staff choosing system.

Ok, ranting finished... for now.

_Phyre August 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

Oh yeah, the staff team. Used to be about like... 40 people total on the team...? Now we have almost 25 at guess. Staff are retiring every month, and with school approaching, most will be inactive/quitting more than ever. 

So let me put this into perspective. School has begun. Staff may be quitting. We have 1 map dev and 1 regular dev. Where is this going? 

You may say "WELL STAFF SAID APPS WILL OPEN SOON SO WE'LL BE GETTING MORE RITE!?!??!///!/1/".

lolno

Last time, staff apps opened on the 30th of March if I'm correct. Then the staff were given ranks IN JULY. That's 3 months of waiting. And most didn't even get promotions until August. So in 3 months it'll be December - and maybe not because the applications aren't even open yet. That's a long time of waiting before new mods (and there will only be like 14, which is not many at all). This is a major flaw in our system that has only really presented itself recently. 

Fix it. Choose moderators from active members of the forums who care about this server. If I could ever suggest anybody, Arachadonic, Splade4812, smitdalt, and plenty of others should be on the team. Don't be afraid to use OCN's staff choosing system.

^ Exactly (And by saying mods are bad i mean that they arent at the top, but still do their job).

My chances of mod: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.1%

LeCobalt August 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

All staff do what they can do, the ones that have problems simply retire.

ayy August 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

Some things I don't like about the Avicus staff are:

They don't even check someone out if they get enough reports;
A few weeks ago myself and a few people on the OCN mumble got together and derped around on Avicus, jokingly we all reported a player for hacking, and guess what? Without anybody actually coming online to actually spectate him, he was permanently banned.

They don't like people giving their opinions;
I feel as though Avicus can't take criticism, and I feel that the staff treat being negative as if it is actually punishable, this virtually makes no sense. The only way Avicus can improve is through community suggestions and criticism and for whatever reason that's frowned apon.

resepignev August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

A few weeks ago myself and a few people on the OCN mumble got together and derped around on Avicus, jokingly we all reported a player for hacking, and guess what? Without anybody actually coming online to actually spectate him, he was permanently banned.

I feel as though Avicus can't take criticism, and I feel that the staff treat being negative as if it is actually punishable, this virtually makes no sense. The only way Avicus can improve is through community suggestions and criticism and for whatever reason that's frowned apon.
You know that is abusing /report and a player gots falsely banned?
You told a staff member via skype or whatever about this?

BoldAndBrash August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

I noticed when people become STAFF, they completely change. I mean, so many mods use to be so awesome and fun! Then when they got their rank, they just acted completely differently. The only mod who still really acts like a fun player is Dubstep. Sorry if I some hoe offended you.

ayy August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

You know that is abusing /report and a player gots falsely banned?
You told a staff member via skype or whatever about this?
Don't you worry, I know what I'm doing.

ImJeezus August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

Don't be a hypocrite

Numberz_ August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

lolno

+1

iDiamondPorkchop August 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

^ Exactly (And by saying mods are bad i mean that they arent at the top, but still do their job).

My chances of mod: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.1%
Don't feel bad my chances are worse than yours xD
Probably -421468714213482645264264521874257452741352783472

Shoto_ August 31, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

I agree with Tino.

Staff apps aren't really smart, people'll just lie and abuse everything. We need hand-picked mods: People who are active, helpful to the community, friendly, etc.

IviFetita August 31, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Yeah, I don't know why some people are so cruel. The moderators are very goods being moderators and helping people.

ayy August 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

Yeah, I don't know why some people are so cruel. The moderators are very goods being moderators and helping people.

OPTOBAT August 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

truest post I've read all month, maybe all year, the mods here are unbelievable underrated and have done an awesome job!

PieZ August 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

This

ParthDarthVader August 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM UTC

The people that say such things aren't really forum users so this post is pretty useless.

MLGtino August 31, 2014 at 3:08 AM UTC

The people that say such things aren't really forum users so this post is pretty useless.
u fokin wot m8

MissCarmel August 31, 2014 at 3:08 AM UTC

I noticed when people become STAFF, they completely change. I mean, so many mods use to be so awesome and fun! Then when they got their rank, they just acted completely differently. The only mod who still really acts like a fun player is Dubstep. Sorry if I some hoe offended you.
1 word: teamspeak

JOHN_CENAAAAAAAA August 31, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

1 word: teamspeak
can confirm

Numberz_ August 31, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

If we keep losing Mods we won't need to complain about them.

MidnightBeats August 31, 2014 at 5:08 AM UTC

If we keep losing Mods we won't need to complain about them.
._.

_DC August 31, 2014 at 6:08 AM UTC

I have a problem with one current mod. He/she team griefs, uses caps and is overall a very immature mod.

Generally I have no problems with the staff though.

Riskayyy August 31, 2014 at 6:08 AM UTC

I have a problem with one current mod. He/she team griefs, uses caps and is overall a very immature mod.

Generally I have no problems with the staff though.
If you wish to file a complaint about a Staff Member, please email [email protected] or add a member of the Senior Staff on Skype.

Arachadonic August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM UTC

I feel the server could use more staff, especially now that it is shaking staff up a bit which can only mean more demotions. It used to be that my /report would be answered 9 times out of ten as at least 1 mod would be on but now it has dipped to about 6-5/10.

also @mlgtino thanks for the unexpected but appreciated plug.

SnowSX3 August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM UTC

I feel the server could use more staff, especially now that it is shaking staff up a bit which can only mean more demotions. It used to be that my /report would be answered 9 times out of ten as at least 1 mod would be on but now it has dipped to about 6-5/10.

I agree that this server does need more staff but it's easier said than done.

Riskayyy August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM UTC

We're currently working on what you've stated in the first paragraph.

Shadowbladz August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM UTC

" because to catch a hacker you have to be discreet, tricky, and smart. " lmao no you dont. You need a recording program and a basic idea of how hacks work

Arachadonic August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM UTC

We're currently working on what you've stated in the first paragraph.
Good to hear about all the changes happening. Hopefully it's all for the good!

ayy August 31, 2014 at 10:08 AM UTC

" because to catch a hacker you have to be discreet, tricky, and smart. " lmao no you dont. You need a recording program and a basic idea of how hacks work
Which next to none of the staff have.

Shadowbladz August 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM UTC

Which next to none of the staff have.
The recording software or the knowledge?

ayy August 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM UTC

The recording software or the knowledge?
I don't know about the software, but I know that a good 90% of moderators can't tell a hacker from someone who knows what they're doing

Notalgicular August 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM UTC

I don't know about the software, but I know that a good 90% of moderators can't tell a hacker from someone who knows what they're doing
Seems like legit statistics..

StewieFG September 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM UTC

Docta is she :P

MidnightBeats September 1, 2014 at 3:09 AM UTC

truest post I've read all month, maybe all year, the mods here are unbelievable underrated and have done an awesome job!
Thanks for the support, OPTO, really appreciate it d:

PieZ September 1, 2014 at 3:09 AM UTC

The mods are not the best but better then most.

MidnightBeats September 1, 2014 at 3:09 AM UTC

The mods are not the best but better then most.
It can sometimes be based on their actions... One of the people on this thread said that some people change when they are promoted...

ParthDarthVader September 1, 2014 at 4:09 AM UTC

u fokin wot m8
Lol I don't understand

Porkyyy September 1, 2014 at 4:09 AM UTC

Midnight is absolutely right. We are lucky to have moderators that actually like doing their job and do it well. 
Have you not seen the report pages? There are dozens of warns/kicks/bans in a day, which means that the staff members are doing their job well.
Compared to the Mineplex staff, as you mentioned, Avicus staff actually knows how to determine is someone is hacking, and they do not unfairly punish players, unless it is by accident or confusion (hacking for example).

MidnightBeats September 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM UTC

Midnight is absolutely right. We are lucky to have moderators that actually like doing their job and do it well. 
Have you not seen the report pages? There are dozens of warns/kicks/bans in a day, which means that the staff members are doing their job well.
Compared to the Mineplex staff, as you mentioned, Avicus staff actually knows how to determine is someone is hacking, and they do not unfairly punish players, unless it is by accident or confusion (hacking for example).
:')

AutoHit September 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM UTC

Midnight is right about this. We do have good Moderators, and, were lucky to even have any. I'm sure Staff Members try there best to make sure Avicus is a fun server for all of us to play on.
I've just been starting to play Mineplex recently, so, I don't know much about their Staff.

MidnightBeats September 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM UTC

Midnight is right about this. We do have good Moderators, and, were lucky to even have any. I'm sure Staff Members try there best to make sure Avicus is a fun server for all of us to play on.
I've just been starting to play Mineplex recently, so, I don't know much about their Staff.
Thanks for the support :)
Mineplex staff are terrible, they will kick players for any suspicious movement (lag).