Avicus Archive

Tech assistance thread. by PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 3:08 AM UTC

I have been seeing a lot of threads lately regarding computer hardware related stuff, and all your questions can be posted here.

I will update this thread as much as possible.

Eklip_Z August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

What computer parts would you recommend to make a good running gaming computer?

Allen_Iverson August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

My computer is dirty. Is it okay if I give it a bath?

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

What computer parts would you recommend to make a good running gaming computer?
It all depends on your budget, how much much money would you have to be working with?

Phobiaxx August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

what is the minimal graphics card needed to run minecraft later versions?(On my computer I keep getting the message minecraft won't work for later versions, must be openGL2 or something

Eklip_Z August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

It all depends on your budget, how much much money would you have to be working with?
Around $1500. I have been looking at a 4.0 ghz Intel i7 but I dunno.

BoldAndBrash August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

What parts would i need to get to be able to record minecraft at 120fps at least while recording?

A graphics card isn't really the most need for Minecraft. The least you would need is something like the Intel GMA 950. That being said, a graphics card is mainly for games that have a lot of detailed textures/graphics. 

When looking for the best FPS you can get on Minecraft, that is mainly based off of the raw power from your CPU or APU.

Phobiaxx August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

er, sorry to ask again, but I forgot, has to be for laptop, but I'm probably to dumb to realize the one you suggested is for notebook :/

er, sorry to ask again, but I forgot, has to be for laptop, but I'm probably to dumb to realize the one you suggested is for notebook :/
Oh noes, I did not suggest that, that GPU is utter crap. That is just what you atleast need to run MC.

@Cupcake&Bader: I'll answer your questions when I get up in the morning, I have literally no time to answer them.

RCMP_Mountie August 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM UTC

Macs are awesome right? Now, your opinion on Macs?

#DoctaPopTheTechGuy

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM UTC

My computer is dirty. Is it okay if I give it a bath?
If you're rich go ahead.

_Phyre August 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM UTC

Recording Video card: NVIDA GeForce GTX 780
Some shaders: NVIDA TITAN Z
Editing, and processing: TITAN BLACK

Good CPU: Intel core i5 4770k Should be good for recording :L
                     Intel core i7 4770k

Correct me if im wrong :/

Robin_DD_J August 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM UTC

So I was going to buy a new headset ( with mic ) and I would like some suggestions! Also I´m going to buy a 2nd screen for my pc so some suggestion on that would be great! 

I can pay around 70-80 for the headset and 100-120 for the screen!

Mooch24 August 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

Filthy Thunder is looking for the best recording software on the market. Any recommendations?

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

@Cupcake: Would you just be playing games or would you be recording/streaming games on your PC?

@Vsplesk: Not sure what you mean at the top part, but the i7-4770K is a great CPU for recording/streaming, and for the price it is worth it.

@Robin: http://goo.gl/csIqPj
                http://goo.gl/mm4HFO                                                                     

@Mooch: Try out REAPER. Their recording software is very easy to use and has a lot of capabilities. It is also free.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Mepanda2 August 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

DoctaPop have you superclocked or overclocked your graphic Card?

Don't call me stupid, but instead of upgrading my PC I use for gaming, I used an old PC and transformed it into a decent one!

OLD PC SPECS: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 505, 265mb RAM, 60 GB hardrive. It was running terribly since it was only relying on the processor until I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB and got a GTX Nvidia 210.

NEW PC SPECS: Intel i3, 2GB ram and a GTX Nvidia 610  Overclocked!

Keep in mind it was a old rusty windows xp.

@Bader: It wouldn't be too cheap from what I know, something like an Intel i7-4820K would be able to do that no problem.

A Intel Core i7-4790 would also be able record MC at around 120 FPS. And it is a little bit cheaper. 

Intel would be the best if you want to record MC and high FPS, but they aren't the cheapest company.

MissCarmel August 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM UTC

How does one break google chrome?

@3picRises: Nah, I haven't overclocked my graphics card. I haven't really needed to yet, but if I was to overclock a part of mine I would go with my CPU only because it would allow me to record with less lag on MC, but my graphics card is good enough to handle most games at good FPS and settings.

@MissCarmel: Use a mac like you do.

MLGtino August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

How can I put all of my crap on my current hard drive on like a flash drive/USB chip? (I have a friend that has a flash drive capable of holding 16GB of RAM. It sounds impossible but it's true).

JCoIe August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

I am having trouble deciding which computer I should buy
can you help me?
  or 

MissCarmel August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

@MissCarmel: Use a mac like you do.
ty 10/10 tech guy +10 starbucks points

MLGtino August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

I am having trouble deciding which computer I should buy
can you help me?
  or 
Get the Mac. It's more compact and mobile (carrying around the wires won't be a problem as long as the place youre staying at has over 3 outlets in the room).

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

@Tino: Just plug in your flash drive into your PC and you can open it up as if it was a hard drive, from there you can just drag the files on your PC to your flash drive.

Awarrior August 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM UTC

How much can I patato help me improve the general performances of my Mac if I smash the said patato on it repeatedly without stopping whatsoever for 15 mins?

And,  are Alienware computers worth the price?

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

@Venom: Nah, they are great laptops, but they just get old too fast, within 6 months they will start to wear down.

If you are looking for a good gaming laptop try looking at MSI's. They make some good laptops.

Jerseys August 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

What graphic card is good for recording minecraft for 100$

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

@Dynamo: When recording MC you would need to mainly go out on your CPU, not your GPU. But a good GPU for around $100 would be the Radeon R7 250X.

Kels August 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

Is this for mouses as well? If so, I'm having a hard time deciding between two mouses

or 

Basically the Logitech G602, and I'll try finding a wired version, or the logitech G500s Lazer Gaming mouse.

I'm also considering this one too:

JCoIe August 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

Get the Mac. It's more compact and mobile (carrying around the wires won't be a problem as long as the place youre staying at has over 3 outlets in the room).
Thank you tech wizard, I just ordered it.

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

Is this for mouses as well? If so, I'm having a hard time deciding between two mouses

or 

Basically the Logitech G602, and I'll try finding a wired version, or the logitech G500s Lazer Gaming mouse.

@Cels: I would go for the G502.

There are more things I could add to that, but those are the main focus points you really need to know.

The_Detonator_ August 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

or 

All depends on how you grip and use your mouse. The G5 series was created for fps gaming (Series includes G5, G500, G500s and G502). The G6 Series, which follows the same naming as the G5 series were created mainly for mmo games. I use the G500s and it works very well, but I recommend the G502 for the following reasons. 

It is a newer model, so the mouse itself should be newer as I don't believe logitech still makes the G500s.
It has an extra mouse button on top of the G500s.
Clicking is shallower, so clicking fast is somewhat easier.
Looks great. Just look at it.

Quite simply, you don't buy a 2012 model of a car when the 2014 model is $10 more, do you?
In case you're wondering, the G502 is the one pictured at the bottom of your post.

The_Detonator_ August 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

@Cels: I would go for the G502.

•  With the G502 you can control the weight and balance of the mouse, allowed you to make it go faster or slower, depending on the way you like it.
  • 11 Programmable Buttons: 11 buttons are all you need if you like to have macros. You can make it do more things, as it also has onboard profiles, something Razer is mouse are popular for.
  • Just like Razer products, you can change the DPI on your mouse while in-game at any time, which are located on the left side of the mouse in a location you can edit with your ring finger at any time you want.
  • The design of the mouse is designed so you can use at while never feeling uncomfortable, and it is made from a great rubber grip that is very durable and feels very fitting.  
There are more things I could add to that, but those are the main focus points you really need to know.
M8

PublixEmployee August 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

M8
M8

Kels August 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

All depends on how you grip and use your mouse. The G5 series was created for fps gaming (Series includes G5, G500, G500s and G502). The G6 Series, which follows the same naming as the G5 series were created mainly for mmo games. I use the G500s and it works very well, but I recommend the G502 for the following reasons. 

It is a newer model, so the mouse itself should be newer as I don't believe logitech still makes the G500s.
It has an extra mouse button on top of the G500s.
Clicking is shallower, so clicking fast is somewhat easier.
Looks great. Just look at it.

Quite simply, you don't buy a 2012 model of a car when the 2014 model is $10 more, do you?
In case you're wondering, the G502 is the one pictured at the bottom of your post.
Pretty much agree with these points. Looks very similar to my current razer mouse but with more macros. After reading reviews, I'm pretty much convinced that the G502 is better. Unless I find a good and cheap razer mouse that's better, I'll probably take that over the logitech mouse, but currently, hooked on logitech.

The_Detonator_ August 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM UTC

Pretty much agree with these points. Looks very similar to my current razer mouse but with more macros. After reading reviews, I'm pretty much convinced that the G502 is better. Unless I find a good and cheap razer mouse that's better, I'll probably take that over the logitech mouse, but currently, hooked on logitech.
`As well, if you happen to actually use a dpi over 3000, let alone 8000, the G502 will allow you to max out at 12,000.

RefuseToSink August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

What's an affordable monitor that is good if I have about a budget of $100?

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

What's an affordable monitor that is good if I have about a budget of $100?
HP W2072a.

RCMP_Mountie August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

Nvidia GTX 770 or 780? Is upgrading worth the price?

Colecrc August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

How do I enable the bar at the bottom when I download something?

Nvidia GTX 770 or 780? Is upgrading worth the price?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

How do I enable the bar at the bottom when I download something?
Wot.

Colecrc August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

Wot.
Like when it says "Would you like to run or save this file"

Joltz_ August 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

Should I upgrade to windows 8?

Like when it says "Would you like to run or save this file"
Oh, it just isn't popping up in your browser, just check your download files and it'll still pop up. like when you downloaded Toon Town 18678 times, you got it, but you have to check it through files. So, you would have to go and look for the files on your PC. I'm not sure how to change that, but I am assuming it is something in your browser settings.

Should I upgrade to windows 8?
Yes, quite a bit of programs are now getting discontinued on Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 actually runs faster than Windows 7.

I'm not going to get into it too much, just going to say you should upgrade.

potatoarmor August 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM UTC

We still have Windows Vista.  Would upgrading system to Windows 8 speed up game play? 

We upgraded the video card a year ago on this 6 year old computer.  It is a sapphire radeon HD 6570 2 GB DDR3 PCI express 2.1 x 16 HDCP ready video card.

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

We still have Windows Vista.  Would upgrading system to Windows 8 speed up game play? 

We upgraded the video card a year ago on this 6 year old computer.  It is a sapphire radeon HD 6570 2 GB DDR3 PCI express 2.1 x 16 HDCP ready video card.
Upgrading to Windows 8 wouldn't really make a different in your games FPS, it just makes most applications run faster than all the older Window versions. 

Windows Vista is just so outdated and most applications don't work for it.

I would update to Windows 8.

Hete August 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

What would be a decent graphics card around $30 for a slim line computer? (LP)

I tried the GT 620 LP, but the fan part was too fat and it wouldn't fit.

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM UTC

For about $30 you would be wasting that money in my opinion, that isn't really enough money to have a noticeable change in your PC.

_Phyre August 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Is this a good Graphics card? :

NVIDA Quadro k6000? This is used in Workstations such as Solidworks but not for gaming, but i just want to see what you think :P

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Is this a good Graphics card? :

NVIDA Quadro k6000? This is used in Workstations such as Solidworks but not for gaming, but i just want to see what you think :P
Yes, but that graphics card target audience is mainly people who do a lot of work with 3D animations. That is a graphics card you'd see Disney have. The card is also not meant for 1080p, it is supposed to be used in WQXGA, which is 2560x1600.

However, I wouldn't buy it unless you do a lot of 3D animating related stuff and you have a lot of money..... a lot

_Phyre August 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM UTC

Yes, but that graphics card target audience is mainly people who do a lot of work with 3D animations. That is a graphics card you'd see Disney have. The card is also not meant for 1080p, it is supposed to be used in WQXGA, which is 2560x1600.

However, I wouldn't buy it unless you do a lot of 3D animating related stuff and you have a lot of money..... a lot
Yes, my dad has this graphics card, and on a Laptop its pretty OP Like it runs minecraft at 300-400 fps with a DAMN LAPTOP! But ye he mainly uses it for like Solidworks :P

Hete August 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM UTC

For about $30 you would be wasting that money in my opinion, that isn't really enough money to have a noticeable change in your PC.
I just wanted to improve my fps for minecraft right now, I get an average of 30fps on every map. I was wondering if I could atleast boost that a bit

Lawl August 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

What size is your case???
And like mentioned before, minecraft is a cpu oriented game, your gpu won't change anything too much if you're not using shaders.

iDiamondPorkchop August 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

I'm only getting about 20-30 FPS with optifine. Is something wrong or is it just my computer?

Hete August 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

And like mentioned before, minecraft is a cpu oriented game, your gpu won't change anything too much if you're not using shaders.
Its a slim line. You want to know the actual size?

Hete August 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM UTC

And maybe it is a Cpu based game, but my computer has the i3 core and my laptop with Pentinum and graphics card (old one) gets 100 fps

zero9178 August 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

I once did some benchmark with the Intel HD 4600 graphics. I tested it on a i5 4570 and it was good enough to play a SP map on 16 chunks on average 45 FPS. if you turn it down to 12 chunks it would be enough to play with ~60 fps on a full quintus.

Test bench:
Samsung 840 evo 250 GB
4 GB DDR3 1600 mhz
Asus h97M-E

Mooch24 August 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

If I was to buy the computer you so generously built for me, what monitor would you recommend? Kinda cheap but still works decent.

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM UTC

If I was to buy the computer you so generously built for me, what monitor would you recommend? Kinda cheap but still works decent.
HP W2072a

Hete August 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

But which one would be best for a slim line within $30? Just wondering.

_Phyre August 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM UTC

Pop u believe this? http://avicus.net/forums/8443fe0f9

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

@X_Heat: $30 isn't going to make enough of a difference in your PC performance. I wouldn't buy a GPU for $30.

@vsplesk: No.

_Phyre August 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

@X_Heat: $30 isn't going to make enough of a difference in your PC performance. I wouldn't buy a GPU for $30.

Yus!

Hete August 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

Then how much money minimal?

garsdef August 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

i need to learn how to computer

PublixEmployee August 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM UTC

A GeForce GT 630 would work, but it is currently $60.

alexanderjoe August 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

So I opened my computer to see what ram card I had. I discharged on the metal before touching anything. I pulled out the graphics card like I should. The one in the first slot.  I put it back in and when I start my computer it goes for like a second stops and repeats. Could it be because I didn't push the card the entire way in?  
(EDIT) I opened it again and noticed the ram card was indeed not pushed in the full way. Now my computer starts and runs fine.

Hete August 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM UTC

A GeForce GT 630 would work, but it is currently $60.

I currently have a gt 620 at my house. I could sell that and buy it. But the thing in my computer runs on a 220w power supply, would it be ok for a gt 630?

JKawesome August 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Can programming questions be posted here? If so, here's my question: can anyone point me in the right direction for writing an HTML5 canvas globe, that reacts to cursor dragging and animates via javascript or jQuery? I've been stuck on this for a few days, and I have no idea how to code it.

_Phyre August 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM UTC

Can programming questions be posted here? If so, here's my question: can anyone point me in the right direction for writing an HTML5 canvas globe, that reacts to cursor dragging and animates via javascript or jQuery? I've been stuck on this for a few days, and I have no idea how to code it.
Actually its pretty hard, Im learning it myself :/

RCMP_Mountie August 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM UTC

I currently have a gt 620 at my house. I could sell that and buy it. But the thing in my computer runs on a 220w power supply, would it be ok for a gt 630?
What CPU do you have?

Nvidia's minimum system power requirement of the GT 630 is 300W, so you'd really, really, really, be cutting it close, personally I wouldn't risk it.

The_Detonator_ August 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM UTC

$150 for a gtx 750ti

RCMP_Mountie August 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM UTC

$150 for a gtx 750ti
However, my concern is the 220W power supply, when Nvidia recommends 300W.

Ray_Sybrandy August 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM UTC

Ops I think this should be here http://avicus.net/forums/01ac16dc2

RCMP_Mountie August 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM UTC

Ops I think this should be here http://avicus.net/forums/01ac16dc2
Plug the your PC and Xbox into the part of the Y-splitter with two ends, then connect the Y-splitter part with one end to your ethernet cable.

The_Detonator_ August 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM UTC

However, my concern is the 220W power supply, when Nvidia recommends 300W.
That's generally for max consumption, which is never hit in most computers.

RCMP_Mountie October 30, 2014 at 12:10 AM UTC

I have been seeing a lot of threads lately regarding computer hardware related stuff, and all your questions can be posted here. -Pop

Bumping this so everyone can see :)

Jerseys November 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM UTC

Need a gaming laptop, budget about 800 dollars.

Then I need a gaming mouse budget about 50 dollars.

_Phyre November 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM UTC

Good mic, 50-150$

Glitchaye November 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM UTC

Ay pop, In the summer I want to upgrade my gpu, but what is worth the money?

I currently have a GTX745 OEM for anyone that doesnt know.

_Phyre November 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM UTC

Ay pop, In the summer I want to upgrade my gpu, but what is worth the money?

I currently have a GTX745 OEM for anyone that doesnt know.
GTX 745... Isnt that good? XD

Spartemex November 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM UTC

Around $1500. I have been looking at a 4.0 ghz Intel i7 but I dunno.
Intel i5s have the best bang for buck out of all of intel's lineup, and they can be overclocked pretty well.

Spartemex November 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM UTC

Need a gaming laptop, budget about 800 dollars.

Then I need a gaming mouse budget about 50 dollars.
The Lenovo Z40 is at $600, and is a great all-around laptop, with a long battery life and good amounts of memory for its price. With the extra $200, you could splurge on a Razer Oroboros!