Avicus Archive

Mojang filing DMCA requests on servers by KadirGarib February 25, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Just curious on what avicus plans to do and whether or not you guys have received an email concerning it. Mojang has decided to file DMCA requests on servers that aren't in compliance with they're said "EULA"

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/eula-dmca-requests-being-sent-out.125792/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/47bt3r/mojang_are_starting_to_crack_down_on_servers/

Jahaj February 25, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Good thing we aren't violating the EULA!

I doubt we will get an email since we are doing way better than other servers in respect to the EULA. (Finally it has paid off.)

KadirGarib February 25, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

Good thing we aren't violating the EULA!

I doubt we will get an email since we are doing way better than other servers in respect to the EULA. (Finally it has paid off.)
Are you sure? I mean, they don't want any player to have any advantage over another player. Does this also mean the amount of credits one receives? If I'm correct, doesn't an upgraded account receive more credits per kill/win?

(Hopefully no issues arise on Avicus)

PieZ February 25, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

Are you sure? I mean, they don't want any player to have any advantage over another player. Does this also mean the amount of credits one receives? If I'm correct, doesn't an upgraded account receive more credits per kill/win?

It goes after servers that sell god items that you can only get by donating. You can still get credits if you do not donate. Avicus is a very non-pay2win server

KadirGarib February 25, 2016 at 3:02 AM UTC

It goes after servers that sell god items that you can only get by donating. You can still get credits if you do not donate. Avicus is a very non-pay2win server
Ah, makes a lot more sense, thanks for clearing it up.

rip other servers

ImRaging February 25, 2016 at 7:02 AM UTC

The credits only help with cosmetics which is allowed. What mojang don't want is for players to be able to buy items (that only those donators can buy) that completely change the gameplay.

Biixerv February 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM UTC

Goodbye like every faction server ever

Howsie February 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM UTC

What can they actually do exactly? What does legal action mean? 

"You violated our EULA by selling wooden blocks for $10 a stack on your minecraft server."

Anyone else think that it sounds ludicrous?

Administrafer February 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM UTC

"You violated our EULA by selling wooden blocks for $10 a stack on your minecraft server."

I can just imagine a court case: "Keenan, prosecuted for violating Mojang's Minecraft EULA by selling wooden blocks for $10 on a minecraft server"

Iron February 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM UTC

They can "actually" take the server down by complaining to the server host. No it is not ludicrous.

Howsie February 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM UTC

They can "actually" take the server down by complaining to the server host. No it is not ludicrous.
You're not serious right? It is completely ludicrous. No hosting company in their right mind would just desert their client because 'dey brok da minecraft laws ooooooooooooooooooooo'

keenanjt February 25, 2016 at 3:02 PM UTC

You're not serious right? It is completely ludicrous. No hosting company in their right mind would just desert their client because 'dey brok da minecraft laws ooooooooooooooooooooo'
It's a DMCA, any server host would because it is has legal implications for the host. Especially coming from a company like Microsoft. It's much easier for the host to shutdown the server than to defend a client. 

A DMCA was enough to effectively shutdown Bukkit which is the foundation of every server out there and happens to be owned by Mojang itself. See https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit and https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2014-09-05-CraftBukkit.md

KadirGarib February 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM UTC

He's actually right, a DMCA is still a DMCA, if it took down an entire/well-known and used by thousands (probably more), it most certainly can take down a minecraft sever with not much effort. Networks such as Arkham have already been taking measures to fix there networks

If people love your server, they'd probably donate: even if it's for nothing in return

shahmi February 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM UTC

YES RIP ARCHON 2k16 hated that server most expensive rank over 1000 cheapest rank like 40

Howsie February 26, 2016 at 2:02 AM UTC

It's a DMCA, any server host would because it is has legal implications for the host. Especially coming from a company like Microsoft. It's much easier for the host to shutdown the server than to defend a client. 

A DMCA was enough to effectively shutdown Bukkit which is the foundation of every server out there and happens to be owned by Mojang itself. See https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit and https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2014-09-05-CraftBukkit.md
Right, I understand now.

Juanooo February 26, 2016 at 6:02 AM UTC

Right, I understand now.
Someone finally made you shut up smh..

Jongh February 26, 2016 at 6:02 AM UTC

What does taking down Bukkit mean for Minecraft servers?

Howsie February 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM UTC

Someone finally made you shut up smh..
Mate. Someone gave a coherent argument that I couldn't rebut . I seriously doubt you could ever do the same.

Juanooo February 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM UTC

Mate. Someone gave a coherent argument that I couldn't rebut . I seriously doubt you could ever do the same.
You're right, I have not and never will give an argument like that cause I'm not even going to bother starting a debate over an already dead server.

Administrafer February 26, 2016 at 9:02 AM UTC

What does taking down Bukkit mean for Minecraft servers?
Not much, there's still Spigot and other projects that act as a "replacement" for Bukkit (like Sponge).

keenanjt February 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM UTC

Not much, there's still Spigot and other projects that act as a "replacement" for Bukkit (like Sponge).
Exactly, the people at Spigot unofficially have continued Bukkit development, and Spigot is the layer on top of it. Sponge is looking pretty awesome, but so many features are still missing.

KadirGarib February 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM UTC

Exactly, the people at Spigot unofficially have continued Bukkit development, and Spigot is the layer on top of it. Sponge is looking pretty awesome, but so many features are still missing.
Sponge is technically bukkit reborn, considering all (if not most) of the bukkit team basically transformed themselves to Sponge.

I wouldn't use it if I were you (sticking to paperspigot/spigot would be better IMO)