Avicus Archive

Discussion: Talking about "beaner" term. by AbusiveUser October 30, 2016 at 6:10 AM UTC

Spanish:

Hola a todos, hoy el Staff Team estuvimos hablando acerca el termino que se esta haciendo muy común en la Network llamado 'beaner'. Gente Latina dentro de la Network se esta quejando de que los llamen así y piensan que deberían de ser castigados por el uso de esta palabra.
Se hizo una mini-votación dentro de Slack para opinar sobre esto, pero lo más adecuado y correcto es saber que piensan los Latinos acerca esta palabra. Si es posible, ayudanos a votar en la votación, dar tus opiniones acerca este tema y que soluciones darías tu para solucionar esto.

Vota aquí:
http://www.strawpoll.me/11535393

-----

Hello everyone, today the Staff Team were talking about the term that a lot of people is using right now called 'beaner'. Latin People inside the Network are complaining about this term because they consider it racist and they think it should be punished if they use this word.
We made a Mini-Votation inside Slack to see the opinions about it, but we decided to make this poll in the forums and see the opinion of the Latin community.
If you can help us voting in the poll and giving out opinions in the comments and your possible solution for it, it will be very helpful for us!

Vote here:
http://www.strawpoll.me/11535415

Thanks for reading / Gracias por leer!
Regards, Staff Team

Hivu October 30, 2016 at 6:10 AM UTC

I think if they think its racist then it should be punishable.

Goodnighht October 30, 2016 at 6:10 AM UTC

I'm confused, why is it offensive/bad?

People get offended when you say "black" as in the color... Or when an African American person attacks a police officer and gets up being shot. The n-word is different, because it was a term used by whites to describe slaves, and can be legitimately very offensive. "Beaner" is just a term for people with OP ping, I see nothing wrong with it. I'm not voting just yet, because I'm curious, but I see no reason for it to be a rule. It seems like a stretch to make it against the rules. It's not said to be offensive or mean in any way. It's just a term. 

Edit: Just to add to this. If anything beaner is a good thing. It means you're good at PVP and bridging, and have OP ping. I don't see how it's offensive, but if someone could explain it that'd be great.

DaFrozenBlaze October 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM UTC

Why don't they ask those who get called "beaner" and see what they think?

_Nathy October 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM UTC

It really depends on the context...

I can call my homeboy Sayah a beaner and he won't wet himself crying over it cause he knows I'm not using it to be racist towards him and mock his ethnicity.

Then there's when it is used to describe Sagrevyum or the old Ethernal Cross - "Hacking beans" (Oh did I say that out loud) and yes, after about a dozen of their members FROM EACH TEAM getting banned for cheating, I feel that calling them "Hacking beans" is pretty fucking appropriate.

As for anyone else who's just being racist for no reason (And you can easily distinguish this) can just get punished, it's a form of bullying. This form here should be punishable.

Don't ban everyone for saying "Bean" or "Beaner" - look at its context first plz

SnowSX3 October 30, 2016 at 8:10 AM UTC

Context is literally all that matters.
We don't need a poll.

voidloop October 30, 2016 at 8:10 AM UTC

Depends on the context. I dont get offended by it because i dont care what people think

imryaan October 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM UTC

^^^^^^

Zeusy October 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM UTC

strawpolls can be abused as hell, just saying

vladthegreat100 October 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM UTC

Sometimes simple google searches help if you want true facts instead of opinions like a strawpoll

Myv October 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM UTC

^ lmao

Goodnighht October 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM UTC

Sometimes simple google searches help if you want true facts instead of opinions like a strawpoll

An opinion is more important in this case, but like everyone else said it depends on the context. 99% of the time it's fine, and there's no racism or offensiveness. The times that it's not, aren't even that bad. On Avicus the term "beaner" has another meaning then on Google. I see what you're saying but the context on Avicus vs. in the real world is very different. On Avicus the ping on beaners is OP, so we call them that. There's no racism involved, it's like a joke that's true, but still a joke. A good example of this is the Trump jokes. We all know they are true but they're still jokes. It's not offensive in any way.

vladthegreat100 October 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM UTC

An opinion is more important in this case, but like everyone else said it depends on the context. 99% of the time it's fine, and there's no racism or offensiveness. The times that it's not, aren't even that bad. On Avicus the term "beaner" has another meaning then on Google. I see what you're saying but the context on Avicus vs. in the real world is very different. On Avicus the ping on beaners is OP, so we call them that. There's no racism involved, it's like a joke that's true, but still a joke. A good example of this is the Trump jokes. We all know they are true but they're still jokes. It's not offensive in any way.
So if the majority of the server were to be fine to use the term nigger, would we allow to call everyone niggers because the majority of the server is in favor?

dev_revs October 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM UTC

It's definition is "a Mexican or a person of Mexican descent". How is this a fact of it being rude? It's a Mexican, its not offensive in any way in my opinion. Your post basically is saying it is no different then calling them a Mexican.

dev_revs October 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM UTC

So if the majority of the server were to be fine to use the term nigger, would we allow to call everyone niggers because the majority of the server is in favor?
Do you know the definition of "nigger" Please look it up and understand it completely.

It's definition is "a Mexican or a person of Mexican descent". How is this a fact of it being rude? It's a Mexican, its not offensive in any way in my opinion. Your post basically is saying it is no different then calling them a Mexican.
If you also look, it states right after "informal" it says "Offensive".
The definition states it's an informal offensive noun.
The definition of it may seem nice and clean, but the word itself is an offensive noun.

If you don't know what a noun is:

Do you know the definition of "nigger" Please look it up and understand it completely.
Again, an "Offensive Noun"

Myworld6 October 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM UTC

"A contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person."

- Taken from the Oxford dictionary.

voidloop October 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM UTC

People get offended when you say "black" as in the color... Or when an African American person attacks a police officer and gets up being shot. The n-word is different, because it was a term used by whites to describe slaves, and can be legitimately very offensive. "Beaner" is just a term for people with OP ping, I see nothing wrong with it. I'm not voting just yet, because I'm curious, but I see no reason for it to be a rule. It seems like a stretch to make it against the rules. It's not said to be offensive or mean in any way. It's just a term. 

Edit: Just to add to this. If anything beaner is a good thing. It means you're good at PVP and bridging, and have OP ping. I don't see how it's offensive, but if someone could explain it that'd be great.
"Edit: Just to add to this. If anything beaner is a good thing. It means you're good at PVP and bridging, and have OP ping. I don't see how it's offensive, but if someone could explain it that'd be great."

Now, this is very 
stereotypical, since it really depends. If someone uses the term beaner, they don't use it in a good way. It's pretty easy to say that from an American point of view. Put it this way, it's like if a new term appears in which the main meaning of the word is "Americans are all fat" but it can also mean "Americans are great". My point is that when American/European citizens use it, they don't mean it in a good way.

Goodnighht October 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM UTC

"Edit: Just to add to this. If anything beaner is a good thing. It means you're good at PVP and bridging, and have OP ping. I don't see how it's offensive, but if someone could explain it that'd be great."

Now, this is very 
stereotypical, since it really depends. If someone uses the term beaner, they don't use it in a good way. It's pretty easy to say that from an American point of view. Put it this way, it's like if a new term appears in which the main meaning of the word is "Americans are all fat" but it can also mean "Americans are great". My point is that when American/European citizens use it, they don't mean it in a good way.
True, it's still not nearly as bad as saying the n-word. The n-word doesn't have a good meaning, where beaner does, comparing those two words doesn't really work. I understand that it could be offensive if used in certain context, but it's not always offensive.

Also it seems like people are arguing about whether the word is offensive or not, instead of it being allowed. As far as the rules go, I don't think it should be a rule, unless in certain contexts made to be offensive or racist.

faht October 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM UTC

beaner

beans cheats

vladthegreat100 October 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM UTC

True, it's still not nearly as bad as saying the n-word. The n-word doesn't have a good meaning, where beaner does, comparing those two words doesn't really work. I understand that it could be offensive if used in certain context, but it's not always offensive.

Also it seems like people are arguing about whether the word is offensive or not, instead of it being allowed. As far as the rules go, I don't think it should be a rule, unless in certain contexts made to be offensive or racist.
And according to Oxford Dictionary, there are black people who say it to other black people making "nigger" be used in a neutral manner.

So like you stated, unless it was used in a racist offensive way it should be allowed as in certain context it is not offensive/racist.
So when do we get to say "nigger" in chat or on teamspeak in a non-swear channel or non-nightclub and not get punished for breaking the rules?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nigger

Goodnighht October 30, 2016 at 10:10 PM UTC

And according to Oxford Dictionary, there are black people who say it to other black people making "nigger" be used in a neutral manner.

So like you stated, unless it was used in a racist offensive way it should be allowed as in certain context it is not offensive/racist.
So when do we get to say "nigger" in chat or on teamspeak in a non-swear channel or non-nightclub and not get punished for breaking the rules?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nigger
Okay. You don't understand my point. The n-word is not allowed because it's original meaning was a African American slave. Not just a African American person. There's a huge difference between the two.

Sevoo October 30, 2016 at 10:10 PM UTC

Now, this is very 
Beaner is a term for Latinos. It has almost nothing to do with Minecraft, it's just a general term people use and since the Lantino community is so big in MC it's used a lot.

@OP Beaner isn't an offensive term. Some people might suggest it's a translation to the n word just for Latinos but I don't think there is an offensive reason people call Latinos beaner. The n word is totally different though, since there is an offensive reason.

EDIT: Beaner comes from the food beans.

Okiba October 30, 2016 at 10:10 PM UTC

as long as it isn't used to harm people then it should be fine :p

Ogrey October 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM UTC

i think people should stop crying over petty terms like that
i don't see a problem with the word "beaner", in fact i think it's pretty hilarious
words only have as much power as we bestow them
if you're gonna sit there and treat it like a slur, it's going to be used that way
like, if you wanna call me a dumb worthless beaner, go ahead
if you wanna call me a beautiful and amazing beaner, go ahead
words are just words people, get over it

EDJM9 October 31, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

i think people should stop crying over petty terms like that
i don't see a problem with the word "beaner", in fact i think it's pretty hilarious
words only have as much power as we bestow them
if you're gonna sit there and treat it like a slur, it's going to be used that way
like, if you wanna call me a dumb worthless beaner, go ahead
if you wanna call me a beautiful and amazing beaner, go ahead
words are just words people, get over it
Preach

Jahaj October 31, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

It's like calling me a curry eater, not really offensive or anything.

Goodnighht October 31, 2016 at 1:10 AM UTC

It's like calling me a curry eater, not really offensive or anything.
^^ Lol

profbananaslug October 31, 2016 at 3:10 AM UTC

political correctness gone mad

thespina October 31, 2016 at 5:10 AM UTC

Compliment or not I don't think it should be allowed to be said. If you want to compliment someone on their pvp skills, there are other words to use instead of an offensive term like beaner. Calling someone smart because they are asian, or calling a smart person an asian is a compliment too, but some people still take offense to it. Just an opinion :}

U_U_U_U_U_U_U_U October 31, 2016 at 5:10 AM UTC

I'm a beaner and I don't have OP ping, I think beaners are just Spanish speakers.

U_U_U_U_U_U_U_U October 31, 2016 at 5:10 AM UTC

I think it's offensive making this post, I'm a beaner.

hasl October 31, 2016 at 7:10 AM UTC

I think it's offensive making this post, I'm a beaner.
I'm a tea drinking, scone scoffing and crumpet eating Englishman

rememes October 31, 2016 at 8:10 AM UTC

thecrazybeaners

Myworld6 October 31, 2016 at 9:10 AM UTC

I'm a tea drinking, scone scoffing and crumpet eating Englishman
But you don't like tea, you fraud.

xNemoII October 31, 2016 at 10:10 AM UTC

But you don't like tea, you fraud.
tea is shit

Javipepe October 31, 2016 at 11:10 AM UTC

Really context dependant. A yes/no answer is simply not possible to reach.

__Talus__ October 31, 2016 at 11:10 AM UTC

my god why is this an issue.
racism just exists and i dont understand why "beaner" is a problem.
ive never heard someone abuse a latino and call them a beaner. sure it exists but ive never heard it used in real life; its only been used by kids who play mineman.

Myworld6 October 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM UTC

tea is shit
Ah shut up. :(

Stimulating October 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM UTC

The term "beaner" or "bean" is pretty huge in MC. Unless you're calling someone a "dumb bean" or something, there's really no issue imo. I don't really see the point in caring about people insulting you over a game made for 10-year-olds in the first place, but yeah. It's the internet, not everywhere can be a safe space quite honestly. It's about how the Latino community feels about it though. As much as I don't think people should care all that much, it's also about trying to be welcoming to different communities at this point to get players on Avicus. It's also easy to just not say it, though it may suck or whatever.

EDIT: Just trying to add general discussion, take this however you want.

Myworld6 November 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM UTC

The term "beaner" or "bean" is pretty huge in MC. Unless you're calling someone a "dumb bean" or something, there's really no issue imo. I don't really see the point in caring about people insulting you over a game made for 10-year-olds in the first place, but yeah. It's the internet, not everywhere can be a safe space quite honestly. It's about how the Latino community feels about it though. As much as I don't think people should care all that much, it's also about trying to be welcoming to different communities at this point to get players on Avicus. It's also easy to just not say it, though it may suck or whatever.

EDIT: Just trying to add general discussion, take this however you want.
Nice to see you're still around. :D

Stimulating November 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM UTC

Nice to see you're still around. :D
I do check the forums occasionally when I'm bored

DonaldMyTrump November 30, 2016 at 3:11 AM UTC

i agree